It has been a long journey

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Simba's Mom

It has been a long journey

Post by Simba's Mom »

Hi Everyone,

Remember me - the owner of one heck of a mouthy rescue puppy? So mouthy that we even considered (not really, but it was serious enough that we could have) re-homing the little guy.

Well, two years later with ONLY positive reinforcement training he is a wonderful little guy and we walk together without him pulling (we are not 100% yet I take him for long walks and he is improving every day) and he was a major puller and with my balance deficits this was not going to work.

I adore him and he is even going down the steps leading to the trail one by one, waiting for me to go down to the next one and my "OK" before he goes down to the next step. This is allowing us to visit parts of the trails that we could not do when I thought he might pull me down the steps.

We still have a long way to go yet I feel confident that we eventually will get there. I am sooooooooo glad I kept him - he is such a sweet dog. He simply needed the appropriate training. True, I see dogs on prong/choker collars being pulled down the street all the time and that surely looks easier. Nonetheless, I am happy with my decision to teach him loose lead walking and all the other non-violent techniques that I work with. I have learned a lot about patience too and that is a good thing.
Suzette

Re: It has been a long journey

Post by Suzette »

Wonderful news! :D :D It sounds like you two have really come a long way. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11