Saving Nunu

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Jindo

Saving Nunu

Post by Jindo »

This isn't a success story in training but rather a rescue. I just wanted to share my story/Nunu's story and the experience we've been through.

I had a friend, let's call her Bella, her family decided to take in a jindo pup and she herself was totally against it but of course, who can resist the cute charms of a puppy?
But as the puppy grew older and proved to be a nightmare, she felt like she was 'fed up.' I tried helping her and gave her advice but she wouldn't actually listen to them.
Puppy bites? Well, yeah that's just what puppies do... They will grow out of it, just make sure you let the puppy know what is tolerable to chew and never tolerate her biting you. The puppy digs? It's perfectly normal for jindo puppies to dig, they will grow out of it. The puppy won't listen? Well.. She and her family are Korean, it's typical for Korean families who are not experienced dog owners to think that 'oh my jindo will automatically be loyal to me, it'll come when it's called, they're super smart so they'll listen to whatever I tell them.'
After Bella kept telling me how she doesn't like animals, how all animals owned by her will be miserable, I kept pushing her to hold on that in awhile it will be okay. Of course I didn't tell her it takes two years for jindos to mature... but she didn't have to know that yet.
One day, Bella tells me that Nunu ran away three days ago. They opened the door and she ran out, guess what? Bella didn't even go running after her. Her mom and brother went out for awhile but couldn't find her. When I asked Bella why she didn't go look any further, she tells me something that completely pushes me over the edge. "Nunu is better off being free then to be living here with me and my family." I looked at her in complete disbelief and it took all I had not to slap her or scream at her and tell her how stupid she was being.
I asked my friend to drive me to the local animal shelter where after running from kennel to kennel, I found her. Of course she was terrified and scrunched up in a corner, shivering. She was in a kennel with 3 other dogs and she has not yet been socialized to be with other dogs. I was heart broken, and I just said to my friend, "Do you think her dogs better off right now?" After confirming that it was her, she passed the dogs ownership to me. I had no idea what I was going to do since I had two jindos of my own but I had to at least get her out of there. We asked one of the workers for help and she was helpful to us, she gave us a slip of paper to take to their office in order to get her out. When we got there... It was an absolute nightmare. The woman said that the original owner had to be here, so we picked up Bella and brought her there, she was crying for some reason. When we brought her there they said she needed proof that the dog belonged to her, for some reason she did not have a single picture of her dog on her phone. Then they said she had to be 18, at the time we were 17, except for my friend who drove and she couldn't get her out since she didn't own the dog. So had to call Bella's mom who wanted to take back Nunu but Bella continued to argue back that the dog would be miserable with them. We went back to the lady who was 'helping us,' she was completely rude and showed obvious irritation when we approached her again. Suddenly, she smacks down a large some of money to get her back. Nunu turned out, was not licensed so there was a fee for that. Fee for water and food (which was really ridiculous, Nunu had just gotten in there that only a couple hours ago), fee for not being spayed, and I forgot what else there were but it came up to over $100.
After discovering the fee's Bella's mom did not want to pay for it. There was nothing we could do so we went home. After that I was determined to find Nunu a new owner. I had to find one within a week because it was cheaper to get her out by paying for the fee then it was to pay for the whole adoption process. Eventually, my friend in San Francisco convinced her parents to drive 7 hours to the animal shelter to adopt her. Thank God. I talked to Bella's mom and her mom agreed to get the dog out, but my friends family had to pay for the fee. We paid for the dog to get out, oh and they smacked another random fee at us for some odd reason, which I felt terrible about... because I didn't know, the woman didn't tell me about it. And when we went to the kennel, I held the picture of Nunu when she was a pup to the woman getting her out and then the woman looks at it and the dog and she tells me, "That doesn't look like her." I was thinking, is this a joke?! You GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. I showed her the similar markings on the tail and chest, but she still said it didn't look like her but reluctantly got her out. When she was out it was like a big relief.
I was so happy that she was going to a good home. I made sure that my friend knew the responsibilities of taking care of a dog, and gave her a briefing about the breed.
I was a bit nervous because they were first time dog owners but I now know everything turned out fine.
My 'friend' was a nightmare and so were those employees at the shelter but in the end it was worth getting Nunu out.

My dad doesn't think she's a full jindo and I have to agree, but she was the runt of the litter. O: Not that she's not a terrific dog or anything.
She wouldn't stay still and this was the best picture I could take of her.
Fundog

Re: Saving Nunu

Post by Fundog »

That's a nice story; thanks for sharing. :)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Suzette

Re: Saving Nunu

Post by Suzette »

Your dedication to helping this dog is sweet and commendable! You really went the extra mile for her and it sounds like she has a lovely home now, thanks in large part to you. :D :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11