Travelling the right road

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ClareMarsh

Travelling the right road

Post by ClareMarsh »

Although Ted doesn't have any significant problems so we aren't reporting a huge turn around I wanted to post in here about how you all have helped us and the benefits I have seen from using the techniques I have read about and advice I've been given. I really do believe prevention is better than cure and I think that this is what this forum is for Ted and me.

Our relationship is much better, I am much better at "listening" to Ted, when he mouths me for example, yes sometimes he's trying to initiate play and therefore he gets timed out, but also sometimes it's because he does want to be on the sofa with me but he doesn't want to be stroked, he just wants to sit with me. I am sure he now finds me less irritating :D

Our walks are more fun and we get more training out of them, his loose lead walking is much better and the short bursts of this are paired with playing and training on a long line so he has much more fun snuffling around and practicing recall, chasing me and playing games. Again I am more attuned to what Ted is saying to me and hence he's communicating more. His attention to me has increased and he now looks to me if he is unsure of anything, I sincerely hope he is starting to see that I am there to protect him from everything and he is safe. I have been much more careful about dogs that he meets and as a result he has had lots of positive interactions, has retained his confidence around other dogs and loves to play. Again without the advice from here and reading about what can happen from bad encounters I don't think I would have been so careful as I would have naively thought he needed to meet all dogs.

He seems to enjoy training sessions more, when I pick up the clicker he gets excited (oooo, yummy treats are on the way :D ) and I can see him trying to work out what I want him to do (that includes barking at me if he does what he thinks I want and no click is forthcoming :lol: ). He's more willing to try new things already when I'm doing something new with him (yesterday he was playing jumping over and under my leg). He is also more confident with random objects. The first time I put down a box that he could fit into stuffed with newspaper, treats and toys he was very nervous about even touching it, now he'll pile in head first and empty it in no time. But he also goes to new things that I put for him with more confidence and more determination to open them/rip them up. Its like his intelligence is growing.

To sum up if he could speak I think Ted would say "Thank you, my mum now listens to me more, is more fun, less irritating, plays lots more games with me, keeps me safe, teaches me new things and gives me lots more treats".

Thanks again from a very happy Clare and Ted :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
JudyN

Re: Travelling the right road

Post by JudyN »

The difference postive training makes is amazing, isn't it? :D It's so liberating being able to be your dog's best mate instead of all this alpha nonsense.

We went on a walk on a beach with a friend we hadn't seen for a while recently. Jasper had a great time, and only twice tried to invade a picnic :oops: but came back to me when called. My friend, who regularly looks after some 'farm dogs', was amazed at just how focused he was on hubby and me, always aware of where we were and responsive to whatever we said/did.

Thank you Emmabeth et al. :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
minkee

Post by minkee »

I'll second that! It's wonderful to watch Scout figure out what I want, to watch her exhibit some self control, and to be able to know what she's thinking... or at least what she's thinking about doing. Many, many thanks to everyone here, emmabeth and Nettle especially!

Scout says extra thanks to Nettle, because she gets to eat such lovely, disgusting meaty things :)
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Yup I agree thanks to everyone on here, it's so wonderful to have a bond based on trust, love and understanding. The way Honey looks at me now makes my heart sing :D :oops:
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I do LOVE this section of the forum so much - do give yourself plenty of credit though Clare - all we have done here, is give you the information you needed.

You did the work. And if you think that was an easy thing to do - trawl back through some of the posts at the far, dark, nether reaches of the forum database, where all the bad threads go :lol: full of the people who couldn't, wouldn't, didn't, and were probably pretty horrible to everyone trying to help them as well!

Sharing knowledge is a pretty easy thing for me to do (I can't speak for Nettle or anyone else here, but they wouldn't be here if they didn't like to do it), the rewards come when people take that knowledge, use it, benefit from it and ADD back to it.... its just fantastic!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Thank you all too for doing it - as Emms says, we can only SAY but you have to DO, and sometimes that requires a leap of faith when results are slow to come.

Scout :wink: usual fee :mrgreen: Ssshhhhhh
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS