Update Diamond the Italian Greyhound

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

harryjacobs

Update Diamond the Italian Greyhound

Post by harryjacobs »

After getting some advice here, I put them into action. Diamond for the first time (Thursday and again today) acutally tell me by sitting a the door to go out, she also now allows me to approach her with the leash and put it on her. Of course this only works if she wants to go out, but at least I don't have to chase her aournd so much now.

She is also now playing with me a bit, she still scares with big or sudden movements for me, but when on the floor playing with the Chihauhau, she joined in for some tug of war. Since the dogs sleep with us, she is allowing me to pet her when I am lying down without diving under the covers to the bottom of the bed. (personally I think this is a jelousy factor when petting the other dog).

While we go to obedience classes, I am careful now to pick and choose activities that might create fear, she hates the "down" command and then being forced to lay down. I decided that if she sits/stays for now I am happy with that. I can teach down when she is more comfortable. She is great on leash, but once off I really can't do much, unless I chase her down, so I tend to avoid commands, I usually have a treat, and then ask her to sit. If she does not sit, I just hang on to the treat. I figure one of these days she will clue in.

Harry
emmabeth

Re: Update Diamond the Italian Greyhound

Post by emmabeth »

Brilliant stuff and though I bet its taken a lot of thinking about stuff, it probably hasn't actually involved doing anything difficult, just giving her time and seeing things from her perspective.

I am sure in a few years you will look back at this and wonder if you have the same dog, was she really So scared of you - keep up the good work!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant