Good day at the dog park for Jack

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jacksdad

Good day at the dog park for Jack

Post by jacksdad »

I rarely take Jack to the dog park, I even more rarely go to this particular dog park that we ended up at today. How I wish I had a video camera to have recorded a play encounter Jack had to day with a approximately 2 year old intact male Brittany Spaniel named Gibbs after the character in the TV show NCIS. Ironically, he smacks with this paws just like his name sake :lol:

Anyway, this is only the second him I have see Jack really get in to some rough play and seem to like it. interestingly the other time was also with a spaniel of some type. Anyway, while I wish I could have had a second opinion on reading Jack, I am pretty sure I was close enough that just leaving him to play was ok.

The reason I have small doubt is Jack has developed an "odd" play style. he bares his teeth with lip curled while playing. So I really have to pay close attention to the sounds he is making, tail and ear position, hackles, and other clues.

So how did they play? LOTS and LOTS of jumping up on hind legs and bumping chests, lots of paw play where they "smacked" each other and other "wrestling" looking moves. normally Jack is only comfortable playing chase.

So despite his baring of teeth and lip curling his noises were the exact same high pitch sounding noises he makes with me, tail was neutral to a little "droopy", but not strait up like a flag pole or tucked, no hackles raised, when standing he didn't lean forward, ears were erect, but not super stiff/up facing forward.

I saw play bows, pauses in play, role reversal and handy capping and coming back for more.

The one really interesting thing I saw was a couple times Jack ended up "pinned" under Gibbs and either I or Gibb's human would get him to let Jack up, then with in seconds of that and play resuming any little touch from Jack, and Gibbs would do an exaggerated collapse to the ground. Almost as if he was say "oops, sorry, ok now you can pin me".

Apparently Gibbs despite all of this other excellent behavior, doesn't like sharing his "playmates". he started guarding Jack. Any other dog came close Gibb's behavior changed from play to GO AWAY!!! This was NOT lost on Jack. But for the third time this year Jack moved between two dogs in a tense moment and created space. He pushed an one of the "intruders" to their play back for space with none of the aggressive posturing that Gibbs was using, and soon as the dog left he turned away and returned to either me or Gibbs for more play.

Jack did have a couple moments where he did guard me from a couple other dog and his vocal noises were different then his play noises, much lower, even though some of his body language looked the same. which is why I am pretty sure he was having fun with Gibbs. The other was he would lay down on the ground and take a break all relaxed and Gibbs would lay near him. Jack almost never lays down and relaxes outside the house.

The other really cool thing from Jack's perspective was there were two small female Chihuahuas in the big dog side showing fear anytime a dog would approach, and when Jack went over to say "hi and sniff", soon as I saw their response, I called to Jack and he immediately left them and returned to me.

I was sooo proud of Jack.
Suzette

Re: Good day at the dog park for Jack

Post by Suzette »

Kudo's to both you and Jack! :D You both had to put in a lot of work to get where you are now. I'm sure it feels really good to see the fruits of your labor in your sweet little dog's happy play.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
chay

Post by chay »

absolutely fantastic jack (and dad) - well done and what fun!! :D
minkee

Post by minkee »

with in seconds of that and play resuming any little touch from Jack, and Gibbs would do an exaggerated collapse to the ground
What a good playmate! It sounds like you know Jack's moods inside out. Good for you :)
ImageImage
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Well done Jack and Jacksdad! The first time I saw Honey play with another dog i nearly cried :oops:
It sounds like Jack has a similar play style to Honey. She growls and makes "nasty" face when she plays rough with her bff a female JRT. I've noticed that she does "nasty" face more when she hasn't seen Petal (bff) in a while so I think it's a bit of insecurity. She only really plays like this with Petal as I think it's more intimate then playing chasing or keep away which she will play with other small playfull dogs.
I don't think it's that odd a style of play as i've seen quite a few dogs play like this in the shelter i'm involved with. I've even seen a tiny JRT playing bitey-face with a deerhound :lol:
The first time I saw Honey lie down outside was during a play session with Petal and i'm happy to report she now happily plops down at my feet for loves quite often when we're in the park. Petal has very good dog skills and is generally more confident then Honey and I credit her with helping my girl alot better about the world.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules