Called off the chase

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Called off the chase

Post by JudyN »

Jasper is a deerhound x lurcher and he knows exactly what he is bred to do :? He managed to flush a deer out of some bushes this afternoon. He then lost it as it ran off the other side of the bushes, but I was in a quandry as I'd been trying to negotiate my way across a marshy bit and had come to the conclusion that the only way out was back towards the deer :? So, after a bit of squishing, Jasper and I were reunited but before I could get him on lead he spotted the deer up a slope and took off.

I almost didn't bother calling him back as I didn't want to set him up for failure and a lurcher in full flight after a deer doesn't have good hearing. The deer was a fair way off, but it seemed wrong to do nothing so I gave him the normal three blasts on the whistle.

He stopped :shock: I called his name, and 'SAUSAGE!!!', blew the whistle again... and was gobsmacked as he turned and ran back to me again :D :D :D

I'm pretty sure the vicious gorse he'd had to run through was dampening his enthusiasm for the chase, but a lurcher's pain threshold when in full flight is pretty high :roll:

He got lots of praise, two bits of sausage and a dried fish as reward!

Naturally, all the recall training has been positive, and has involved a lot of sausage and chicken. I really don't understand how negative approaches could ever work with recall!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Suzette

Re: Called off the chase

Post by Suzette »

That is so awesome!! I can only imagine your happiness and pride! :D :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Wow. I would be totally gobsmacked too, if something that fantastic happened with my dogs! :D Huge chicken cake for Jasper! :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Fantastic stuff - thats up there in the 'miraculous' category really, well done!

And yes I often wonder just HOW stupid people have to be to really seriously think that punishing a dog is going to make it want to return!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Oh well. I had a feeling it might be a fluke :? He spotted/smelt a deer today and whistle, 'SAUSAGE!' AND 'COME!!' didn't break him out of his trance even before he'd taken off. He was gone for 15 minutes and has picked up a few scratches. Back to the drawing board...

It was interesting to see how differently he reacts to cattle. He went up to within about 8 foot of one (with us watching carefully of course) and then playbowed and tried to get it to chase him, but sensibly he wouldn't go any nearer. He then started to bark at it (in his 'Play with me!!' voice), at which point I called him off. The cow was utterly uninterested.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

you might be amazed how one success, carefully built on breeds additional success.

Well done to both you and Jasper.