Haven't seen Chance in TEN days!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

rnor1120

Haven't seen Chance in TEN days!

Post by rnor1120 »

I went on vacation to the USA during my two week vacation from vet school, and today was the first time in ten days I've seen him. My roommate had been watching him, and this roommate has inadvertently trained her own nightmare dog to be food aggressive, so needless to say I was a little nervous about leaving him with her. I'm happy to report that she had no major issues with him! She'd even take Chance and (her dog) Bauer to a beach that's not often frequented by other people/dogs. Before he'd been afraid of the water but she said he was running and swimming in it like a champ.

He did seem to develop a toy aggression with the puppy, but knowing how my roommate handles her dog it doesn't surprise me (honestly I was expecting to come back to worse). I'm not concerned about it now, and I'm hoping that getting him back onto his normal walking/training routine will fix it. I've also brought him back some L-Theanine, which is an herbal calming aide, to see if it will help with his dog-on-dog training.

Overall, I'd say that my first major separation with Chance turned out okay, and it goes down as a success in my book!
Fundog

Re: Haven't seen Chance in TEN days!

Post by Fundog »

That's awesome-- so many others DO return from vaction to much worse! Your roomate deserves a heart-felt thank you, too. 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.