Sky Qualified!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MPbandmom

Sky Qualified!

Post by MPbandmom »

Yesterday was the IMPROV Trial in PA. I had hoped my husband would go with me, but he wasn't feeling up to it. So, with some concern, I headed off to PA just Sky and me. When we got there the morning trial was still going on. I walked into the training center with Sky and she was immediately super duper excited accosting the people sitting near the door with love. I took her with me as I made several trips out to the car to collect my gear. I was ultimately quite happy that I had decided to bring her crate as it turned out to provide a space for her to calm down and relax and a chance for me to relax while not hanging on to a super excited dog. :D

The creator of Dog Scouts and originator of IMPROV was there, so it was really cool to get to meet her and that she told me she remembered putting Sky's picture on her Dog Scout ID badge. What was even more cool was that she had two dogs entered in the Standard level IMPROV trial. One of her dogs was a jumpy bitey boxer mix and the other one was a high energy, happy go lucky, saluki mix. The saluki mix's name was Panda. Short for Pandamonium, and she lived up to that name pretty well. She reminded me a lot of Sky. Cheerful, high energy, eager to please, and all over the place. :lol: Everytime she entered the ring she started throwing out behaviours. She would target the ring barricades, knocking them down in the process. :lol: One of the exercises she had to do involved taking laundry from a pile and putting it into a laundry basket. She also put herself into the laundry basket, and also fetched the laundry basket. :lol: :lol: It was so cool to be around a bunch of people that take their dogs as they are and try to have fun with them and encourage them to think and try new things all in a positive manner. It was really encouraging to me that I'm not a failure as a novice dog owner with two hard to handle dogs.

Then kind of the icing on the cake was that Sky did manage to get a score high enough to qualify and earn her first leg towards her IMPROV title. One of the activities Sky had to do was place checkers on a checkerboard. I was concerned about the size of the checkers so opted for the second option which was a crocheted small frisbee type of thing. Well, Sky really whouldn't have anything to do with the frisbee thing. But, as one is allowed one useful item with them in the ring and my useful item for Sky was a tennis ball on a rope, I was able to attach the frisbee thing to the useful item and then eventually realized that an adaptation of fetch and drop it worked to get her to then take the item and place it on the checker board. When she finished the dog scout originator stood up and commeneted excitedly on how Sky had figured out and learned how to play the game as the task unfolded. Which was true, as the exercise progressed (it was timed the goal was 10 "checkers" onto the board in the time limit.) she would pick up the item and immediately return to the checkerboard and drop it more and more quickly. But, it is also about the owner adapting to how the dog functions. I had to figure out how to get her to take the item in the first place so that she could then complete the task.

So here I am 2 and a half hours away from this very active Dog Scout troop and in September they are holding an IMPROV workshop and fun matches that I had pretty well dismissed as too far to go/to much gas money for a long trip too soon after the last long trip, but....
I'm really giving it serious consideration now and thinking about taking Sirius as well. Kind of more as a test of dealing with the two dogs by myself in such a situation as I am thinking about joining this troop even though it is a rather long drive. Sirius doesn't fetch for anything, and a lot of the activities are fetch kind of activities. About all I can think of to take as a useful item for her is her backpack that I can then stuff whatever into for her to carry to the destination. :lol:

Another big cheer goes out to my son who entertained Sirius while I was away with Sky. He took her for a walk at the battlefield as I had recommended. The battlefield has nice wide open spaces and wooded areas for shade. He had asked for her backpack so she could carry water. I had given him a few tips and pointers like take some of the smoked chicken bits for distraction from things that upset her. He often lets my tips and pointers go in one ear and out of the other.

I got a text from him stating that Sirius was stupid, she was panting like crazy but refused to drink any water. I suggested that she was too stressed to drink and might do better when away from people or would likely drink when back inside the safety of the van. Well, he was quite a ways away from the van and had only seen one other person along the trail. I then suggested that she might be more likely to drink water as it was flowing out of the bottle rather than straight from the bowl. He responded that he had placed a piece of chicken in the bowl and she had then consumed the water. I was very proud of him using his brain in a constructive manner to solve the problem of getting the dog to drink. It also told me that he had listened to my advice to take the chicken bits. :lol: Maybe I should try to get him into IMPROV...... :D
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
emmabeth

Re: Sky Qualified!

Post by emmabeth »

That sounds awesome!

You can teach fetch even if they dont naturally do it, if you clicker train - back chain it starting with holding an item in the mouth for a split second and dropping it into your hand. Once they have that then the next step can be increasing the hold time, or having to move their head to put it in y our hand rather than your hand being right under the dogs mouth. Then moving the feet whilst holding then dropping (so maybe have someone give her the item a step away from you so she has to step to you, drop, reward, then increase the distance further, or pick it up from the floor and give it to you, t hen incraese the distance.

You can play around with which stage comes next depending on how your dog learns best but the basic idea is she learns to hold something in her mouth then drop it in your hand, and as you increase the distance the toy is, she HAS to bring it TO you to drop it into your hand, so fetch is really a by product of droppign something into your hand for a reward.

You dont get the same sort of retrieve you do from a dog who loves to chase things and therefore returns the thing to you so you can throw it again, and they can chase again.. it is a different sort of enthusiasm for the job, but it is perfectly teachable.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Thanks Emmabeth. I will have to give the back chaining on retrieve a try. I had read that before, but forgotten. Thanks for the reminder.

I just watched a video on utube that demonstrated the catagories and steps for IMPROV. I will post a link to it if I can figure out how.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Here is a link, hopefully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyMcTpX9qkg

The individual exercises change and are created by the person judging the trial. The catagories stay the same. There are 6 catagories. The whole idea is to present the owner and dog with unique tasks to complete. Lateral thinking (cheating) is allowed. No two owners approach a task in the same manner, because each dog and owner are different and come to the trial with different skill sets.

There will be a seminar and fun matches in Pennsylvania September 3 if anyone is interested and in the area.

Edited to add. There is a related video that comes up on youtube of Rowdy doing IMPROV exercises. This was taken at the trial that I went to and Rowdy belongs to the troop leader there who is also a well trained and qualified positive method trainer who co teaches reactive dog classes. Rowdy was entered in the Standard class, whereas Sky was entered in the Novic class. The first troop event I went to, it seemed like almost all of the dogs were reactive. Two years later and the dogs were much much better. I feel like I will receive a lot of in person positive support with this group as I continue to work with Sirius on her issues. (Not to in any way lesson the awsome assistance I have received from this forum, and I will be making certain to implement what I have learned here in reference to Sirius and her high food drive.)