New arm position

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MPbandmom

New arm position

Post by MPbandmom »

Here is a good laugh for you experienced dog people around here. As some of you know, I have had an ongoing thing with Sky's high energy level and loose leash walking. We have made, what was to me, amazing strides in this area. Now of course one will only experience success to the level of one's expectations, and I must admit that my expectations aren't all that high. I have been quite delighted to no longer be being drug down the sidewalk pulling backwards with my arm straight out from my shoulder. I will also admit that I really haven't achieved loose leash walking yet with Sky, we compromised more at a my upper arm straight by my side and my elbow bent at a 90 degree angle from my shoulder and Sky walking on a somewhat loose to taught, but not really pulling, lead.

Well, nothing like a little competition coming up to put a little motivation in some people (me :oops: .) I am taking Sky and myself to our first ever official trial. It is an IMPROV Trial sponsored by a semi-local Dog Scout Troop (3 hours and a couple of states away.) One of the sections of the trial requires the dog to walk loose leash. Well, when excited, what measure of looseish leash walking we have managed goes right out the window, and prospects aren't looking too good for that aspect of the trial. (I know, my own fault for not having higher expectations.)

On a whim, when I took Sky out for a walk tonight, I decided to try something new. I decided to see if I could keep my arm (my whole arm) down by my side in a relaxed manner. (Since Sky and I have not been coordinated enough to master the turning method, I used the statue method and stopped walking when my arm started to leave a relaxed position by my side.) When I stop, she tends to look back at me and then back up back into a loose leash position.

Okay, I was really impressed with how much more pleasant it is to walk a dog with one's hands relaxed and naturally hanging at one's side. (No I'm not kidding, in about 4 years of walking dogs, I have never experienced this sensation.) Sirius tends to walk at heel, but I always seem to have her leash held up becase otherwise she steps all over it, and my other hand is occupied with having or being able to have at a moments notice, yummy distracting treats. So even though she walks nicely, (Well when not lunging at something.) my arms still aren't able to relax.

I think, I'm going to work on this some more with Sky. :D :D
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.