Continuing Success

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ckranz

Continuing Success

Post by ckranz »

Its been a while since I have posted. Between work, vacation and of course training, I have not had much time for many of the forums I frequent. I have been doing more lurking than responding.

Anyhow to get to some brags:

Khan earned his CA title today compleing his last 2 lure coursing legs. Seeing him run is truly a magical experience. His behavior all around at the trial was nothing short of magnificent. Even the gun shots from a lab club working on field testing did not bother him..(He has issues with thunder and fireworks).

Khan continues to do well in therapy work and we are visitng a place tomorrow that has taken several pictures of him working. I never would have thought befoe last year that Khan would enjoy therapy work so much.

Over the past couple of years Apollo has developed a snarky attitude towards other large dogs when on leash. Its gotten to the point were we have had to work on our leash manners. He is making improvements and for the first time was out on a walk with both my wife and I. We hiked a steep trail up a local mountain. He was still a little anxious when other dogs passed, but his improvement was very dramatic. The last time we both had him out together, we never even made it to our intended trail, his behaviro became so disruptive we had to leave. Twice a week I have been taking him out to areas where people and dogs frequent and rewarding the behaviors I want. He is steadily improving and I am sure he will continue to do so.

Khan in agility...this is still a work in progress. I got a little ahead of myself and have gone back to rework our foundation work. When we did these exercises before we were on leash. ONce he started working off leash I had assumed that we could just pick up where we were....I had to give myself the same advice I have given to many people. When something changes you have to rework from the beginning with that change. So our foundation work now is being re-done all off leash. Khan has been picking this up quite well and showing great improvement. I am sure in another 6 months we will be back to trialing working more consistently as a team rather than being hit or miss on his focus.

For those who do not know Khan, his story is posted in the archives. He is truly a tremendous dog, and with positive reinforcement based training and rehabilitation his turnaround is truly a miracle. I cannot even fathom what he might have been like had he come straight to us instead of going into his previous home which aggrivated or created many of the fears we have worked hard to overcome.

For anyone with a fearful dog, shy dog, or even an emotionally uncontrolled dog. Be patient, take small baby steps. When you get frustrated, take breaks and re-evaluate your training plan. Develop a good training plan. Most important, and I believe the key to Khan's success...keep moving forward. As you reach your training and behavior goals, set new goals and work for them. You will be amazed at what you will accomplish.
Nettle

Re: Continuing Success

Post by Nettle »

Great to hear from you and really amazing progress! Thank you for taking the time to post :D and to remind all our other readers of the need for baby steps and going back a point or two before we can move forward.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
jacksdad

Re: Continuing Success

Post by jacksdad »

ckranz i too am glad you continue to post your success and mention things you learned. It really helps to see the light at the end of the tunnel.