Nail clipping

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MissCarla

Nail clipping

Post by MissCarla »

I was expecting clipping my Casey's nails to be a bit like wrestling an angry wet cat into a too-small suitcase. She is pretty shy and doesn't like loud noises, sudden movements, etc etc. I've been working with her A LOT, it's exhausting, but today I was rewarded. :D

She literally laid there like a dead fish on her back while I clipped her back nails. She was so relaxed, I could actually cry thinking about how far we have come and how much she trusts me now. I tried clipping the front but she wouldn't leave my hands alone, she kept licking them and sniffing at the clippers, so I will give it a try in a couple hours.
chay

Re: Nail clipping

Post by chay »

woohooooo! great work carla (and casey!)

can you get casey to tell gypsy that nail clipping is totally fine? she could do with some of that chillout during nail clip time :lol:
MissCarla

Post by MissCarla »

Thank you!! Next hurdle = bath time!! :lol: I'm fine with bathing her once/twice a year, but she has a LOVELY habit of rolling in awful, smelly things.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

I've been lucky in the bath dept...not so lucky on the nail trimming. Part of the nail trimming is me, I fret so much about hitting the quick that I take forever getting the clippers in the proper position. Needless to say If I was faster I think things would be fine but alas that was cash is for...paying someoe to take care of nail trimming LOL. They have always been good with the professionals.

How I started with the baths was not using a shower sprayed but using a small bucket....fill and wet down the dog, lather nd then a couple of buckets for a rinse. Lots of praise, treats and massaging. @ of my dogs enjoy their bath time and the ther tolerates it fairly well.

As far as rolling...the stinkier the better. If I let one of mine out she likes to rub against the pine tree and get lots of sap in her fur if its right after a bath.She end up dirtier than before the bath LOL
DawnStorm

Post by DawnStorm »

MissCarla wrote:I was expecting clipping my Casey's nails to be a bit like wrestling an angry wet cat into a too-small suitcase. .
:lol:

Flanders is not crazy about nail clipping either, despite my + reinforcement during the procedure. Bruce the Dobie? Typical I am a Doberman! I can take this! He's an albino, so it's very easy to see the quick.
My current crew:
Bruce the Albino Dobe; Flanders the Belgian Malinut; Leela, Scuttlebutt, and Felix, da kitties.
All much-loved but not spoiled!
MissCarla

Post by MissCarla »

Okay, thank you so much for suggesting the bucket!!! I can't believe I did not think of that. She is still not thrilled, but she doesn't 'shut down' like she does in the tub. And yes - she has rolled in something since my last post!!! :evil:
misskris

Post by misskris »

also, for baths...for my pup's first bath, I had my fiancee sit with me and feed her lunch (her ration of kibble for lunch lol) throughout the bath. This kept her happy and still and before I knew it, the bath was done! We always give her a bully stick or stuffed Kong to chew after she's dry to thank her for being so good. LOL. Now, after the 3rd bath, she doesn't love it but she stands still with much less kibble and i've even bathed her by myself once! yahoo!

On the other hand, I cannot cut her nails to save my life. Poor thing is TERRIFIED of the clippers...sigh...i think i'm going to concede this job to the professionals as soon as she's vaccinated. LOL!
springchowie11

Post by springchowie11 »

you could use a nail filer thing. It has sand paper. It is called Peti Paws. :D
springchowie11
misskris

Post by misskris »

thank you springchowie. :) I have already tried that. sigh. It's my fault because I wasn't patient enough to intro. her to the clippers consistently and now I'm paying for it. lol... :roll: