A growing success with Charlie & Lola

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Galadrielle

A growing success with Charlie & Lola

Post by Galadrielle »

Although not 100% perfect, due to some fab advice on this forum from Mattie and also from lovely Jo Pay, Charlie and Lola have both turned the corner toilet-ry speaking! And they are improving all the time.

Charlie still doesn't like to go out in the rain to toilet - even if I take an umbrella and go out with him, he just trots back inside leaving me like a lemon in the rain! LOL! I guess it''s the lead next time....! Unless any clever person here has any other suggestions of course!

But thank you anyway, they're a lot better now and continuing to improve both with toiletting and the separation anxiety although I'm not sure 20 month old Charlie will ever get over the separation anxiety altogether after his early traumatic experiences. He'd still be happy to be attached to me, skin to fur 24/7!

Seven month old Lola is much more confident and goes to her place in the garden on her own, with no bother, rain or not, just by NOT telling her off for doing it in the house.

Still have a couple of other queries though so will go to another thread!

Thank you once again!
Hugs
Ei
x
jacksdad

Re: A growing success with Charlie & Lola

Post by jacksdad »

hey..things don't have to be 100% to celebrate a success. the fact things are moving in the right direction is call for celebration.

On the SA.....SA is a hard nut to crack..but it is possible. So don't assume never. While the issue wasn't SA in my case (though Jack does have a slight tendency in that direction) I am getting to do things with him I never thought would be possible due to his reaction to other dogs. So, never say never. your pup might just surprise you one day :wink:
chay

Post by chay »

great work galadrielle, and of course charlie and lola! :D
Galadrielle

Post by Galadrielle »

Just to update:

Charlie is now totally house-broken. He's as good as gold in most every way. Still got the SA though, and still quite badly. I just don't leave him a the moment.
He's not at all anxious at any other time, in fact, any more laid back and he'd be comatose!

Lola is the highly strung one but she's fine to be left in by herself - she just pops into her cage for a nap! She, however improved, is still having 'accidents'. She just does not indicate she needs to toilet. I have her time-tabled so I get there most of the time but now and then I'll be in the garden with her encouraging any sign of 'bottom activity', she'll have a nice wee (accompanied by trumpets and applause) ...then go indside and poo in the hall! Aaaaargh!

Ah, we'll get there one day - I just hope my new laminate and carpet survive...! LOL!
Hugs
Galadrielle
x