I have found something that works after 3 weeks!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

amzh86

I have found something that works after 3 weeks!

Post by amzh86 »

Hi all. well, i consulted with quite a few trainers in my area over the last 3 weeks, my puppy is starting to have testosterone in his blood stream (21 weeks but 18 when this started). He would jump and nip for attention constanly with both me and my children and their friends. All the trainers told me to turn my back after telling him enough and then to leave the room. I rang my local rehoming centre for advice after my puppy had growled and lunged at my knee (not hard enough to break the skin, but hard enough to bruise it through my jeans) while i had hold of my 4 year old daughter, i was so frustrated that after 13 weeks of training consistantly he was still behaving this way. I rang the centre for advice on what to do as we have been training him since he was 8 weeks old. She advised when he was naughty to not speak to him not to look at him and to gently take him by his collar and remove HIM when he was behaving inappropriately. I have only done this today and there seems to have been a huge break-through with him.Today, i have had to remove him 12 times,which seems alot but isnt really compared to how many times i had to remove myself, and now he is sitting quietly when he wants attention, i saw him earlier on about to jump up at my friend but then reconsidered. I am so pleased, I really wish i had found this forum before the other day, the amount of time people have told me i havent put enough effort into his training,when really it was because i was dealing with the situation incorrectly because that was what i had been advised by various qualified trainers.
I just hope that now i have found this forum (and a trainer who knows the correct way of dealing with situations at the other end of the telephone) this behaviour will be phased out within 2 weeks.
jacksdad

Re: I have found something that works after 3 weeks!

Post by jacksdad »

woohooo. good for you. nice to make progress isn't it.

i would caution against possibly unrealistic expectations over a behavior phasing out over in 2 weeks. :wink:

don't hesitate to ask questions and do keep us up to date.