Another success for Khan

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ckranz

Another success for Khan

Post by ckranz »

Well today was our first AKC Lure Coursing Ability test. Its a new thing from the AKC which allows all breeds and canine partners to title in lure coursing. Khan earned his first leg running a 600 yd course in about 42 seconds...he had 2 minutes to complete.

Comming around the last turn he did take a tumble and came up unable to put weight on one paw (He's been checked and okayed as not injured), which of course had me running to him but had completed enough of the course to pass and get a q. We of course had to leave to head to the vet.

Now the real success is not the Q but everything that happened after his tumble. He came up unable to put weight on 1 paw, limped over and plopped on the now stopped lure. One of the sponsoring club memebers carried him off field for a quick examination for injury by him and the judge. Khan has never met this erson before today.

Not a single peep or sign of stess as he was carried off and set down adjacent to the runnign area. I even had to leave to bring the car around as people were examining him. NO signs of stress, or reactivity as tey picked up and placed him in the car. This would not have been so smooth a few years ago :D

We get to the vet and he's back to putting full weight and has full range of motion. He even hopped up on the table for his weight temp and examine. Again no sign of stress. He had such soft eyes as the vet was examining his leg and palpating all his joints.

I am super relieved that he was not injured and had a great time. Before running we did take the time for a good warmup include a good stretch of all legs and paws. It most likely is what prevent and serious injury from his tumble.

The club thought initally (immedialy after seeing the tumble) he migh have snapped his left front leg. I really believe the reason he did not break his leg or even seriously strain or tear anything is good conditioning with a good warm up.
Mattie

Re: Another success for Khan

Post by Mattie »

Well done Khan :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

way to go Khan :D

ckranz, speaks volumes for the work you have done with Khan. thank you for sharing.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Way to go Khan! and Cranz :D
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Helen2009

Post by Helen2009 »

Woo hoo! Well done Khan!!! Way to go! :D