Georgia Anxiety Improvement

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

HowlsOfAngels

Georgia Anxiety Improvement

Post by HowlsOfAngels »

Georgia is a wonderful 4 and a 1/2 year old mutt, she looks like a small (chuby) border collie. She was racked with anxiety, a terrible worry wort, and I couldn't figure out why. I'm 15 now and I got her when I was 11 I had few resources other than some misinformed parents and neighbors along with old training articles and t.v. shows (the old rub their nose in it, junk) all about dominance. I never new anything better, but as she grew her anxiety got worse and worse until she would scream and bark and shake in fits seemingly unprovoked, she was hard to soothe.

She also has a few compulsive behaviors, mostly fixating on a place or object in the last house it was the corner of the bath tub and now it's one specific vent. She will lay down and stare, scratch, whine, and bark at it. I used to yell, but that was just stupid of me. So one quick clap and I walk into another room with an upbeat voice praising when she follows. This behavior has decreased significantly and is nearly non-igsistant.

After I started and stayed consitant with positive reinforcement training she calmed down a lot, and then she was spayed; what a change. She has very little anxiety
now, still a talker, but who doesn't like a good conversation between yawns and groanings? She is a very smart dog she can do all cues verbally or visually, walk off lead, sit up, stand up (2 or 4 legs), lay down (w/ or w/o head on floor), leave it, shake (working on left and right, but she really likes left), wave (from sit up, or sitting), fetch (anything, mostly remotes or a dropped sock/keys), find it (one sniff, I put her in another room hide, release and there is plenty of fun to be had), I could go on but I'll stop rambling.

I love positive reinforcement training and it has helped to largely improve I and my dogs' relationship. :)
jacksdad

Re: Georgia Anxiety Improvement

Post by jacksdad »

what a great story. thank you for sharing. And great job helping your dog. keep up the good work.
HowlsOfAngels

Post by HowlsOfAngels »

Thank you. We've both been able to enjoy each other a lot more now that there is no petty dominance struggle or intimidation. If anyone needs ideas on how to teach silly tricks than feel free to ask. I've got boatloads of them, lol.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I love to hear success stories like this one, when a person has some problems with their dogs, instead of "turning their backs on them" or rehoming these dogs (thus passing the problem onto someone else) or taking them back to the rescue/animal shelter, and so on, the person takes the time and makes the effort to train their dog(s) and asking for help when they need advice! You don't know how happy that makes me, because oftentimes that is what happens to these dogs! :D

Great job, HowlsOfAngels, to a job well done! :D For that, I think you deserve some flowers, courtesy of Mattie and her flower garden! :lol:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown