She is making the connection!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MPbandmom

She is making the connection!

Post by MPbandmom »

And so am I. :oops:

We have had lovely weather the past 3 days in a row, so I have gotten each dog out for a nice walk. Today about halfway through the walk with Sirius, I realized that everytime she heard a rumbly motorcycle or truck motor, or saw a person, she looked to me for a treat. She did not react to a single thing that could typically be a trigger for her! :D :D :D :D

I have to go to the store and get more treats. :lol:
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Fundog

Re: She is making the connection!

Post by Fundog »

Well done! :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Good job! :D

Here are some flowers for a job well done! Image
Last edited by wvvdiup1 on Sun May 01, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

nice. good work Sirius :D ...oh and you to MPBbandmom :lol:

for treats...how does she like chicken? Jack loves it, and if you BBQ it, the texture makes it very easy to cut into small cubs. if you have a costco near you, very cheap to pickup some boneless/skinless chicken breast. just a thought.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Sirius loves chicken! I am not convinced however that chicken loves Sirius.

She seemed to be having some kind of issue causing her to be itchy. Having read in the AKG Family dog article on allergies that 50% of dogs who have a food allergy are allergic to chicken, I decided to cut that out of her diet along with grains. It seems to have helped and on the occasions that some other member of my family gave in and fed chicken to her, the itchies seem to be worse. (could just be my imagination, but often when she seems suddenly itchy again, I find out that she has had chicken. :roll:)

Instead, I buy hamburger in the logs (my mom is supposed to be checking into the pricing at Costco for me on that) and press and dehydrate it into treat size pieces. I also buy dehydrated beef liver. I recently found some dehydrated salmon treats, and I also sometimes get the Wellness grain free treats. I have thought about getting ground turkey and dehydrating some of that for her, but am not sure how well and safely it would dehydrate.

I do give Sky chicken, so next time I join my mom at the Costco, I may just buy both hamburger and chicken.

Thanks for the tip!
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.