Update on Charlie

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ceretrea

Update on Charlie

Post by Ceretrea »

Realised I hadn't updated you all on Charlie's progress in a while.

Re growling at my son:- Charlie hasn't done these for some three weeks now and seems to feel a lot more comfortable and settled. Yay!

Re clinginess:- he no longer follows me everywhere exactly rather he will sit a little way away or simply come to the loo to make sur eI am there and then wander off...although not too far in case I've gone to Narnia while he wasn't looking lol

He's very much into me, gets a lottle jealous of the pc or the ratties and pushes himself in between me and whatever for attention.

He's got the door barking issue, he started barking at every knocking noise within or just outside the house but always barking at the door. We have been trying to desensitise him by randomly knocking on things and its actually worked to a degree. At least he stops and checks if its a door related knock before he starts barking! We initially, a few days ago tried to call him away from the door and the barking got worse. Upon consultation with the vet we have started clapping to distract him (not like clapping at him, more a round of applause in another room) and he'll toddle over and see then forget what he was doing and go do something else. We've seen some progress in two days so far, someone suggested a bark collar but I'm not sure I like those, its too much like punishment for my tastes. He'll go to the door still but either only bark when someone is actually there, which I don't correct as I think to some degree this to be proper doggy behaviour, or simply gruff softly. If this continues my neighbours will be happy and we won't get any hassle from our landlord :)

In other news, Charlie has fantastic recall...as long as he isn't running after something. We're working on this and he's picking it up very quickly so far.

He is fed wainwrights soft food, has two good walks a day, play times and training sessions....oh yes and naps x
emmabeth

Re: Update on Charlie

Post by emmabeth »

That all sounds like good progress. And well done for not going for a bark collar, these ARE punishment and can have some very nasty side effects.

As far as the barking at the door goes, if there is actually someone there, it can often be very effective to acknowledge him, 'Thanks for telling me Charlie' and then, give him something else to do. So you are telling him 'Ok your job is done now, I'll handle this' and giving him something much nicer to do instead , such as a favourite toy or a Kong with food in it or similar.

Just keep on top of things, for every problem, and every incident think; Can I prevent this in future, manage this so it doesnt occur, distract and reward him, teach him an alternative behaviour to replace this one I don't like. You won't go far wrong then!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Ceretrea

Post by Ceretrea »

I agree.

This morning, he only barked a little bit at next door leaving. I clapped, he came in the kitchen with his 'whats that' look and I praised and stroked him. He went in the front room to play. If this carries on I should we will find him where we want him.

I forgot to add that we are still training him to back off the door when visitors come...an 'away' command. So he gets to bark to tell me they are there, but he's not allowed to greet them til he stops. He tends to bark when he's excited as a lot of dogs do so its more of an impulse control thing.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Ooops should have moved this into Success stories the other day!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant