Tree Surgeons!!!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ladybug1802

Tree Surgeons!!!

Post by ladybug1802 »

I walked up to my parents house this morning with Dylan.....up through the fields and the golf course that backs onto their house. When I got there there was a van in the driveway and turns out the tree surgeons had turned up that are doing some work in their garden, without Dad knowing they were coming. So I kept Dylan on his lead, and Dad and I walked down the garden (it is quite a large garden!) to see them....I wanted to see how Dylan would react when he saw them. I thought he would at least bark....with one guy being up a tree, and another one the ground with all the equipment, b oth with big orange hard hats on....but not one peep out of him! I did have his loveable squeaky toy in my hand, but I was so proud of him. I didnt push it, didnt get TOO close to them, but was close enough so he could see them and they were not far away.

Maybe he is saw me and Dad were happy with them being there so he didnt feel he need to worry?? Either way - brilliant! Not so long ago he would have been barking at the end of his lead at them! Not sure what would have happened if we had got really close to them, but we didnt need to and I didnt see the point in pushing it.
Mattie

Re: Tree Surgeons!!!

Post by Mattie »

Well done Image

I love it when it looks like a big step forward thanks to those tiny steps both of you have been doing.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Woo-hoo! One gigantic step for Dylan! I bet you're over the moon right now. :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

ladybug1802 wrote: I didn't see the point in pushing it.
well done and good call. :D

Homework for today is....treat your self to something you enjoy, you earned it. positive reinforcement isn't just for dogs :lol:
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Aw thanks guys!! I am sooo proud of him today I cant tell you!! Plus we have just been for a little walk with one of my friends.....she is one of the friends who came over some time ago when we were having big issues with people coming in the house and when I didnt know how to deal with it. Last time she came to my house was months and months ago, and because I pushed things for Dylan and she moved too fast in her seat she ended up getting a little bit of a snap towards her nose. Understandably, not being a dog person, she has been a bit nervous of coming to my house, so we meet out.....but today I asked if she would like to come for a short walk after we had ridden, and she said yes....and Dylan was brilliant!!!! He went up to her on a few occasions, sniffing and just saying hello, she was able to say hello under the chin briefly, and al was good. She now doesnt feel so nervous coming to my house, especially now she knows how I manage things now and he is a lot better with that.

I love my dog!! Thanks for your support!