Jack does it again...I am so proud of him

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jacksdad

Jack does it again...I am so proud of him

Post by jacksdad »

Jack does it again, proving once again that positive reinforcement can help dogs with Dog/Dog issues.

Yesterday I got a heads up from Luna's "mom" (Luna is jacks buddy) that there was a new dog in the neighborhood a boarder collie. How can we tell it's a BC? That it's a REAL BC? Because of course it has the correct black and white coloring. Sorry BCmumto3, couldn't resist :twisted: :lol:

Well anyway, on our walk this morning we ran smack into them. Jack went stiff, chuffed, started to bark...I am thinking oh great another one of those 2 steps forward, one step back moments, going to have to keep a sharp eye out for this new dog ......but wait...cue the hallelujah chorus, cue cool and the gang....(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M) Jack is not even looking or directing any of this at the new, strange, never before seen dog...heck he isn't even looking at the dog at this point, oh he knows the dog is there but he is more up set about the human than the dog....woooohooooooo!!!!!!

Jack, with some help of "watch" type work quickly calmed down in terms of the human and he and, get this....Jack (the BC is also a Jack) exchanged very calm and mutual sniffs, Jack even turned (back to dog) and sat down in from the of the BC and allowed him to sniff up and down his back. no play offers by either of them, just mutual, calm sniffs and greetings.

I am soooo proud of Jack, he did so good.

oh and quick update on this viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9413 - Saturday we ran into this dog and again Jack barked BUT it was directed at the human. He and the dog exchanged play bows, sniffs, and then we went on a quick walk together.

Not to leave this with the wrong impression for those who might not know me and Jack's history, I am not encouraging or ignoring the fact that Jack is mildly reactive to humans. that is still a work in progress, but when he is more worried about a human and not the dog which is his primary issue, this is progress.
Noobs

Re: Jack does it again...I am so proud of him

Post by Noobs »

Sounds great, Jacksdad!

It looks like you may have to watch the humans and make sure they're not looking directly at him...just in case that's what is worrying him.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

trying to touch, bend over as well, but it's the look at him that generally sets him off first. He can pass calmly, look at them calmly, heck he even sometimes brushes up against them when passing, no problems in these situations....it's just when attention is directed towards him. I used to think it was just see humans, but it was hit and miss if he would react or not. now that I am not needing to be as on the look out for dogs, I think maybe it has been the looking all a long, followed by trying to touch, bending over etc.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Jack has made such a lot of progress, you should be very proud of yourself, you went with your gut feelings at first and they were right. :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
vicki

Post by vicki »

We are getting within 10 or 15 feet of dogs now with no reaction from Benji. You are miles further on than I am with this training but you're an inspiration to me to keep going!

Keep up the good work, so nice to read about your progress and success!
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

This is really great to hear, jacksdad-- I still have yet to make much progress with Dottie's discomfort being close to other dogs.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

do keep it up vicki, but remember to move at your dogs pace. Jack and I are 14 months into this. it wasn't always this smooth.

Also, most of the successes I share are life forcing very close encounters. I don't plan or try to force them. My ultimate goal with Jack is to walk down the street and have him pretty much ignore the other dogs the vast majority of the time. we are getting there. However, when life puts us face to face with a dog I try and capitalize on the moment and make the most of it. the encounter with the BC was defiantly not planned, and if I had seen them at a distance I would have tried to avoid them being a new strange dog. I am so glad this went well because the lady out with the BC made it sound like she would be out in the mornings too.

The rare exception is the walk around the neighborhood on Saturday. This happened only happened because the dogs were trying to play together anyway. I took the opportunity to stuff Jack with treats and be near the dog he has struggled so long with. however, now I am wondering if half his "struggling" over the last few months were less the dog, and more the human that comes along with him. Even though we were walking "together", we weren't "attached at the hip so to speak" there was distance most of the time. Then the dogs would check in, then move off, then check in, then move off. sometimes they walk close, but not the whole time. it was maybe about 5 to 10 minute encounter.

Fundog, something you might try is any dog at any distance and (with in reason) not care about Dottie's response give her treats or what works for her. Example, if you see dogs and she chuffs, or give light barks, still give her a treat, ask for watch or look and give treat all the while moving away. the idea is to heavily emphasize the classical conditioning part of the training. really make another dog a predictor of something wonderful. I wouldn't suggest this as a starting point working with reactive dogs, but if you feel stalled, it might get you moving again. Jean Donaldson talks about this and the behaviorist I worked with in the past suggested trying it with Jack to help get past the last couple dogs that set him off in the neighborhood and with humans. the thought roughly is your dog might notice that all the other dogs get a treat, but this one dog never earns me a treat...hummm something to worry about ...bark, bark, bark. just an idea.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Dottie is okay with seeing other dogs, and really does not pay much attention, even to the rottweiler lunging at his own fence, jumping up and down, growling and barking his fool head off-- she just ignores him. Annie, on the other hand, always gets her ire up and wants to tell him off! :lol: It's only when the dogs get within sniffing distance that Dottie gets nervous. I have been somewhat limited in my opportunities to get her acquainted with other dogs, though. It's really hit and miss. If we could meet the same dog every day for several days, she might actually improve-- one dog at a time. It's just a matter of meeting up with the same dog on a regular basis. :?
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Fundog wrote:Dottie is okay with seeing other dogs, and really does not pay much attention, even to the rottweiler lunging at his own fence, jumping up and down, growling and barking his fool head off-- she just ignores him.
I would trade that default response for today's success story in a heart beat. Jacks terrier side make it really hard for him to not want to "face" or "orientate" towards other dogs sometimes. which then sometimes can make the transition from just looking to "OH MY GOD!!!...MUST REACT". though these days that is thankfully in lower case more often than not. :lol: