Agility Success

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ckranz

Agility Success

Post by ckranz »

Last week Khan and I had our most successful trial. On Sunday he was just brilliant. We took first in both events we entered for our class. I should be getting the video, so you will be able to see the cumulative effect of 4.5 years of hard work with this truly special dog.

While we did not Q on either run, Khan ran with me and with much enthusiasm. His wild card run was very fast (16.35 seconds) and was faster than many dogs running similar course at higher levels (If I had only cued that missed jump better).

For Khan and I this will be the year of the Q. Once I get the video and get it posted I will link to it.
nightsrainfall

Re: Agility Success

Post by nightsrainfall »

Congrats on the success! I think Agility is really interesting so it's great that you and Khan are doing it - and liking it.

Good luck with it! :-) I hope it continues to go well!
- Anna

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
~ Roger A. Caras
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIw5xzX0usM

The video of our standard run followed by our wildcard run. I was so proud of my dog.
nightsrainfall

Post by nightsrainfall »

Oh wow - so cool!

Do you mind if I ask a few questions? How long did it take you to teach him the agility maneuvers? Also how long did it take for you yourself to gain experience and and get a handle on how agility works? Lastly, what type of dog personality do you think works well with agility?

Anyway - Great job! He looked amazing! :-)
- Anna

~ Roger A. Caras
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

As far as learning obstacles Khan learned how to do each obstacle fairly quickly (6 months), Khan however had a lot of behavioral issues so it took 4 years for us to meld together and run as a team under trial conditions (Lots of distractions at trial). As far as myself I am still learning how better to read and run courses. On average though I have seen many people have good basic skills in about a year.

As far as what characteristics a dog should have for agility...It really depends on the goals you set for you and your dog. First and foremost though is good health and not problems with hips or elbows. The regular jumping, weaving and contact obstacles for the competitive dog can be a bit wearing.
Also a dog that is reasonably well behaved around other dogs both on and off leash.

If you are looking for high performance, you want a dog with speed and independent thinking.
If you are looking for fun activity for you and your dog, any breed can be fun. Agility will help to improve a dogs confidence, independent thinking and coordination. I professionally photography canine agility and I have dogs of most breeds having a great time.
hellogoodfriiend

Post by hellogoodfriiend »

Congrats!!!! Khan is beautiful and I am so glad to hear things are going so well!!! :D :D
<3 teresa (:

"Happiness is a warm puppy" ~ Charles M. Schulz
nightsrainfall

Post by nightsrainfall »

Thanks for answering my questions.

I hope it continues to go well for you and Khan.
- Anna

~ Roger A. Caras
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

cool video, looks fun.

you have really done a good job with Khan.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Khan was having a blast, really enjoying himself, I love it when they have the confidence to do their own thing, Dixie used to do that as well.

Khan is a credit to you. :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]