Buddies!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

TxPepper

Buddies!

Post by TxPepper »

A friend brought her puppy over today. At first Luna was kind of anxious, doing her barky-growly thing, but then she realized that Athena (that puppy) had just as much energy and her and loved tug-of-war. They played for HOURS. Luna gave these creepy growls the whole time but she would roll over on her back and try to drop a toy on Athena's head for attention. It was so awesome! And when one of them would play too hard, all the other one had to do was yelp and the "Assaulter" would calm down a bit (When Athena bit Luna too hard (which was often) Luna would actually turn on her and mouth her and snarl; just punishing her I guess because they would start playing again. Now Luna is more tired than she's been in a long time, which is great because I'm sick and can't excersize her at all.

I'm really glad that Luna finally has met a dog that doesn't freak her out :D
jacksdad

Re: Buddies!

Post by jacksdad »

It is cool when your dog finds a buddy. Jack found his last summer, ironically his buddy is named Luna too.

Just be sure to not force your dog to be buddies with other dogs. if your dog and another dog seem to really enjoy time together, bonus, but don't force or expect this to be the case with all dogs your dog meets.
CoolDog

Re: Buddies!

Post by CoolDog »

That's so true Jacksdad! When I first got Sheba, she seemed not bothered by other dogs. However, as Sheba was getting better walking on a leash, we would walk further and we would meet other dogs who were free to roam. Sheba would stand erect, wait for the other dog to come closer, sniff, and she liked the other dog, she would try to play and become buddies with that dog. Of course, during that time too, she's found dogs she didn't like, but as time continued as we walked, and she saw her "Buddies" playing with dogs she didn't like, she would stop, erect her body, and her buddies would come, along with the dogs she didn't like. Once those dogs were together, it seems the dogs Sheba doesn't like became her buddies, too, but not all of them! There is one or two she's not too fond of right now. :roll: