Avoiding aggresssive dogs for TV episodes

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

runlikethewind

Avoiding aggresssive dogs for TV episodes

Post by runlikethewind »

Hi there

I'm a big fan on here and fully supportive. I just wondered if it was true that Victoria avoids so called red zone dogs ( a term coined by Milan..) The reason I ask is because I was reading an article about something and thus ensued a great long discussion that Victoria prefers soft cases but it is only Milan who takes on the big aggressive cases. I just wondered if this was true and if not,, please could point me in the direction of some aggression cases. I'm really interested to view the techiques.

I realise by virtue of 30 mins slot, aggression cases cannot be dealt with properly.. and that these things take a lot longer - perhaps that is why Victoria appears to only deal with other softer cases eg barking etc..

Thanks
runlikethewind

Re: Avoiding aggresssive dogs for TV episodes

Post by runlikethewind »

It was a TIME article I read - in case anyone wants to know
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

She has taken on aggressive dogs. The difference is that on the other show, the dogs are allowed to reach threshold and get into fights in order for them to be "corrected" with leash jerks or alpha rolls. Much more dramatic that way. And also because the other trainer has said that they have to allow the dogs to make mistakes in order for them to be corrected so they can learn.

On Victoria's show, you might see the dog(s) aggress in the intro package or when Victoria does her assessment. But after that, during treatment she doesn't allow the dogs to reach threshold so they probably don't look like "red zone" cases.

Think of Princess, the one-eyed dog who was physically abused by the owners' friend and leash jerks used by the owners until she passed out.

The lovely Weim who was aggressive towards children and the owners were expecting a child.

The JRT who was aggressive toward the owners' other dog, a chocolate lab.

Those three dogs, just to name a few, were aggressive cases, but the way Victoria handled each of them, they weren't put in stressful situations so most of the time they never got to the point of being dramatically aggressive.

Also, the programs in the US are one hour, much more time to show training progress, etc.
puplove

Post by puplove »

Also - and I don't remember the name of the dog - there was a Husky who was great with the man of the house, but would jump on /growl / bite at his girlfriend when he wasn't home.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

That was Diesel. There was also a bulldog in the UK series who actually attacked someone who was wearing safety gear for protection and was staring Victoria down when she first arrived.
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Ah thank you Noobs! Of course that makes sense.. she doesn't let them get to that state in the first place.. of course :roll:
loza123

Post by loza123 »

The bulldog was Jed