disgusted!!!

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Suzette

Re: disgusted!!!

Post by Suzette »

fcis, while you are certainly entitled to your opinions, what were you really trying to accomplish by coming to a positive reinforcement dog forum and singing the praises of a dominance trainer, like CM? Seems to me that your agenda was to incite, not "educate". If you like his methods, I would like to suggest that you go to a forum where you can share with like-minded folks. BUT . . . if you want to learn more about the rewarding benefits of positive training, where we not only achieve remarkable results with our dogs without using force, dominance or fear, but also build a strong bond of devotion, trust and love, well then stick around, read, listen and learn. You and your dogs will benefit in ways you never dreamed!!
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Liz & Koa

Post by Liz & Koa »

I know this post is old but I have to say no owner, dog trainer, or rescue league wants to put down a physically healthy dog, but when there is any aggression due to bad breeding or lack of socialization sometimes there is no other option. As the owner of a fear aggressive dog who bit my neighbor, it is stressful every day. I have to give him the best life I can while working around this issue. There is no way I can take the chance he will bite someone else. I have trained and spent thousands, he still can react in a nano second. Having said that, I love him, but would do the responsible thing if it came down to it. No dog can be happy living like that.

Thank you.

Liz & Koa
Johnnalyn

Post by Johnnalyn »

Sorry to bring an old post back again (I know a few of us have haha), but I'd like to comment that CM is NOT a miracle worker. Just because you don't see the dogs he is unable to train does not mean they do not exist. He would never air an episode where he failed and clients have to sign a waiver saying they will not talk about their experiences with him off the show. There have been cases where he was unable to keep a dog in a home due to aggression issues. I have seen a case with a very food aggressive lab that he ended up keeping at his facility because it was a danger to the child in the house. This was for food aggression though-meaning the dog had a known trigger for its aggression. If this dog truly had a neurological disorder due to bad breeding, then training such a dog not to react is near impossible since you need to either know the trigger and desensitize or be able to replicate it in some way. Even CM would not be able to train such a dog and, even if he were to subdue the dog through shutting it down, there would be no telling when the dog would attack again. This is not a simple case of not being able to handle aggression. If this was truly a case of idiopathic aggression then it is ignorant to say that anyone could truly "cure" the dog.

It would be much like trying to teach a serial killer not to kill. You could try to rehabilitate them- but would you ever feel comfortable letting them back into society? (Yes I know what the neurological disorder of serial killer is and I am not saying this dog has the same disorder but rather making a link between the unpredictability between the two.)

On a side note, interesting link here:

http://www.thecrossovertrainer.com/one- ... whisperer/
Last edited by Johnnalyn on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Liz & Koa

Post by Liz & Koa »

I totally agree....interesting article.
katylou

Post by katylou »

Brilliant article, thanks for the link x