DEAR VICTORIA RE: PETSMART PLUG

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

maximoo

DEAR VICTORIA RE: PETSMART PLUG

Post by maximoo »

Dear Victoria: I see that you do reply to posts from time to time. I can only hope you will reply to this sometime in the not too distant future.
Why are you now plugging Petsmart on IMOTD? They seriously overcharge for their products. One ex: A box of Iams dog biscuits cost $2.25 at a nearby discount store whereas Petsmart charges around $5 for the exact same box. A pet bed costs $50 at Petsmart, discount store-- $20-$30. I could go on and on. What factors were in play that made you join forces with this big rip-off pet store? With the economy in a recession, wouldn't it be better to offer money saving advise when it comes to dog paraphenalia instead of plugging this money sucking chain store? How about a short segment ( 2-3 mts0on homemade toys, equipment & other things the average person can do/make?
I do want you to know that I really enjoy your show. keep up the good work and I hope to have the privelege of meeting you someday.
----Anna
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I suspect that Victoria has no control over what is advertised before, during and after her shows, this will be down to the TV station.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
springermomx3

Post by springermomx3 »

I take offense to that post. I work at Petsmart and our employees need to make a living like everyone else. I dont know about the prices but you have to remember overhead costs and such.

And actually its opposite in my area. In my area a bag of old mother hubbard biscuits is $10.99 at petsmart and $12.99 at the mom and pop shop.
[img]http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/thelifeofriley3/newsignature_edited-1.jpg[/img]
BoardHost
Site Admin

Post by BoardHost »

Let's be civil, guys.
BoardHost
Kittylove5

Post by Kittylove5 »

I'm not too worried about prices, I usually shop from Petsmart because they have a Variety of things on sell and well PetCo doesn't (My Opinion) If I see something I like at PS, I check and see if another Pet store has the same thing for lower prices jut like I do with any other store. I think Petsmart is a nice store in my area anyway.

I like to buy things online anyways, it's cheaper. :lol:
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Petsmart is a very nice, large, clean store with a lot of variety and I actually do buy dogfood there--blue buffalo. However it really burns my butt :x to overpay for dog paraphenalia--toys, balls, leashes, etc. Petco is equally as bad in pricing if not more. Victoria is plugging Animal Planet toys sold at PETSMART now on IMOTD. I got my puppy a stuffed quacking duck which he loved. He destroyed it in a matter of days. Animal Planet makes this duck and the cost is $3-$4 more at Petsmart than the discount store. It just isn't frugal/sensible to pay more for the exact product no matter what it is. I do agree that internet shopping is cheaper but I try not to if possible.
Springermom, certainly everyone has a right to make a decent living and I don't believe I said anything offensive, I am merely stating the facts as they are. Mom & Pop stores are usually not a discount store so if they chrg more for biscuits, it's b/c the owners have to make a living too, but I(and countless others) wld never buy them there. My guess is that you probably get an employee discount and perhaps the prices don't bother you as much.
I am just curious as to why Victoria is suddenly plugging Petsmart. I'm sure it's due to some sort of agreement btwn Animal Planet, and Petsmart as a sponsor. And even the way she does the plug seems so rehearshed, and doesn't flow with her natural way on being on camera. That's just my opinion of course.
Here's another question maybe someone can answer: Victoria usually gives her clients something, a dogbed, a halti, expensive interactive toys, gates, etc. she even gave a little girl new bedding and had carpets cleaned for her. The question is: How is all that paid for? Is it just borrowed for the show? The manufacturers aren't plugged or mentioned in any way. Do the clients agree to purchase those items beforehand to have introduced on the show? Oftentimes we see a really cool toy/object that she used and we have to search all over the net for same product.
How does it all work? :?
springermomx3

Post by springermomx3 »

Its advertising. Nothing more nothing less. Shes probably getting paid to do it.

I agree its tacky but she can advertise whatever she wants on her show. Perhaps she likes shopping at Petsmart.
[img]http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/thelifeofriley3/newsignature_edited-1.jpg[/img]
spydre

Post by spydre »

Actually, Animal Planet arranges sponsorship for the show. As far as the giveways, I usually don't watch the credit, but the freebie stuff almost always has a commercial, or a mention in the credits.
lablver2

Post by lablver2 »

I personally love Petsmart. To Belgian, Petsmart is doggy Disneyland. He goes crazy once we get into the parkinglot. I don't mind it because there is alot of variety there for me to choose from and the staff at the one I go are very friendly and always ask to give Belgian a treat and if they can pet him. I prefer Petsmart to Petco any day.

maximoo wrote:Petsmart is a very nice, large, clean store with a lot of variety and I actually do buy dogfood there--blue buffalo. However it really burns my butt :x to overpay for dog paraphenalia--toys, balls, leashes, etc. Petco is equally as bad in pricing if not more. Victoria is plugging Animal Planet toys sold at PETSMART now on IMOTD. I got my puppy a stuffed quacking duck which he loved. He destroyed it in a matter of days. Animal Planet makes this duck and the cost is $3-$4 more at Petsmart than the discount store. It just isn't frugal/sensible to pay more for the exact product no matter what it is. I do agree that internet shopping is cheaper but I try not to if possible.
Springermom, certainly everyone has a right to make a decent living and I don't believe I said anything offensive, I am merely stating the facts as they are. Mom & Pop stores are usually not a discount store so if they chrg more for biscuits, it's b/c the owners have to make a living too, but I(and countless others) wld never buy them there. My guess is that you probably get an employee discount and perhaps the prices don't bother you as much.
I am just curious as to why Victoria is suddenly plugging Petsmart. I'm sure it's due to some sort of agreement btwn Animal Planet, and Petsmart as a sponsor. And even the way she does the plug seems so rehearshed, and doesn't flow with her natural way on being on camera. That's just my opinion of course.
Here's another question maybe someone can answer: Victoria usually gives her clients something, a dogbed, a halti, expensive interactive toys, gates, etc. she even gave a little girl new bedding and had carpets cleaned for her. The question is: How is all that paid for? Is it just borrowed for the show? The manufacturers aren't plugged or mentioned in any way. Do the clients agree to purchase those items beforehand to have introduced on the show? Oftentimes we see a really cool toy/object that she used and we have to search all over the net for same product.
How does it all work? :?

I don't mean to sound rude but alot of stuffed animals given to our pets are destroyed. If a puppy is teething they will probably rip that toy in pieces. I got lucky with Belgian as he was never much of chewer and he has always loved stuffed toys however I know if you give the 4 year old bull terrier I watch a stuffed toy, it will be gone in a matter of seconds same goes for the two 10 month old scottish terriers I also occasionally watch. It just depends on the dog. When we buy toys for our dogs we should keep in mind if the dog is teething, is a chewer, rough when playing,etc.n

Also I think it is all apart of the sponsorship that goes with animal planet,etc.
Belgian: 6 year old English Chocolate Labrador Retriever.
"The more boys I meet, the more I love my dog"-Carrie Underwood
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

Petsmart has large, clean, pleasant stores with generally helpful staff--and they are cheaper than PetCo for everything that both stores carry. Plus, if I want to go into the store and pick up one or two things quickly, I can do that at Petsmart. There is no such thing as a quick in-and-out at PetCo. Does not happen. I've tried.

The reason the brand names of the products are visible or mentioned during the show is because those are product placements, and the companies involved generally pay good money for that.

It's advertising. Without advertising, the show would not air. And the star of any show rarely has much influence over advertising, unless there's something so offensive to them that they're prepared to have their show canceled rather than have that advertising.

Petsmart is not in that category. It just isn't.

Lis
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

In the recent episodes VS is no longer plugging petsmart. At the end of the show she sends a gift basket of toys from "Animal Planet" No mention of Petsmart anymore.
I originally posted noting the prices of Animal Planet toys. They are overpriced plain & simple. I just got Max a quacking duck for under $5 @ Walmart. A similiar Animal Planet duck sold at Petsmart is $9!
I do like to go to PETSMART for certain things b/c I can't get them at another conveinent location. I take Max 1x a mth to use their scale. Max tries to pee on the dog food. lol...He also loves meeting other dogs there. Tho I like petsmart I I don't like overpaying. :P
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I like to take my dogs to PetSmart (one at a time of course) and let them pick out the toys (limited to 2) themselves! Sometimes you can get a better deal on some items you can't get anywhere else including Wal-Mart, if you are a PetSmart card member like I am. :D

wvvdiup1
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

I am a petsmart member. Even with it I find things I cheaper at walmart.(kongs,treats, leashes/collars,toys, etc) Luckily Max isn't too enamored with toys. He plays with a toy for amount 10 mts by which time he started destroying it. His favorite thing to do is chase a fox on a stick. The SKINZ fox is holding up fairly well. Also when the local supermarket has a buy one get one free deal (like on milkbones) I buyquite a few. Walmart or any other store can't beat that.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I think the reason I can get some things cheaper at PetSmart than Wal-Mart is that I buy some things in bulk, but I would like to try getting some other things in bulk from Wal-Mart, since we have one of the distribution centers here where I live. I'll have to talk to someone at Wal-Mart about that.

wvvdiup1
Paul&Muttley

Post by Paul&Muttley »

I don't get upset when I find that a store charges more for an item that I can get elsewhere for less. If it's not a huge difference, I am satisfied that I was able to get it conveniently rather than waste gas and time driving around for a couple of dollars. Most stores also have some items in a bargain bin and you can often negotiate a deeper discount. For a major purchase I always do research on-line and if my local store can sell it to me for a comparable price, taking into account shipping, taxes, etc., then I will get it there. If it is a small store I would expect to pay a little more and perhaps get better, more personal service. :)

I don't care if Victoria plugs PetSmart and CM plugs Petco as well as his own products. Commercial TV is just that, and it's all about advertising and viewership and money. I really wonder how effective all the advertising really is. I usually tune them out and very rarely see something that is so wonderful or such a bargain that it influences me to buy it. Often times annoying ads have the opposite effect. But there must be enough gullible people watching who run out to buy stuff to keep the Madison Avenue folks in business. I wonder what percentage of products goes to advertising. I'd rather get that much as a discount! 8)