aggression in Chihuahua Blood Test

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

georgaline

aggression in Chihuahua Blood Test

Post by georgaline »

To start with i had 3 Yorkies all were lovely little friends then one died. We decided to get another dog and my daaughter wanted a Chihuahua. He is over 5 years old and from we got him at 9 months he has shown aggression.
I can't lift him at all but he will sit beside me. He attacks my almost 15 year old yorkie and has drawn blood from his nose. He has even caused my daughter to have stiches in her blood after having him only 2 days.

I did get another Yorkie and there are no problems with her and my other 2 yorkies, she is almost 5 and my 2 old yorkies are 15.

The Chihuahua can't even go to the vet as he attacks the vet.

I think there was a programme where the dog had a hormone inbalance and was put on tablets but can't find the episode.

Can anyone help with this?

Twice this week he has trailed my yorkie of the settee and and attacked him, the yorkie was sleeping at the time. He has no teeth and can't fight back
Erica

Re: aggression in Chihuahua Blood Test

Post by Erica »

This dog would need a vet check. You should talk with your vet - they may be able to prescribe a tranquilizer to make the visit easier for your dog, but do not use acepromazine as it just makes the dog unable to react to scary situations, which can make the dog's fear worse next time. Otherwise they may just need to muzzle him.

I would personally want the dog checked for hormone levels, a full thyroid panel, as well as a thorough check-up for anything that could be causing him pain. If no medical causes came up I would try to find a veterinary behaviorist to work with, or another highly skilled trainer.

Has he been to the vet since you got him? What kinds of training have you tried with this dog? What does a daily schedule look like for him?

I can't find which episode it is either but we may be able to help you out. :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14