The Woof Pack, Saturday 4/9 episode

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Noobs

The Woof Pack, Saturday 4/9 episode

Post by Noobs »

Did anyone see this episode? The first in the Spring half of the New York season. They were Hoboken, which is New Jersey, but whatever! :lol: :lol: :lol:

She used BAT in this episode - the reactive dog got rewarded for calm behavior by stepping away from the other dog.
maximoo

Re: The Woof Pack, Saturday 4/9 episode

Post by maximoo »

I saw it. It was better than the previous NY eps. There were 4 dogs but VS only worked with 3.

I still prefer when she view dvd then comes back & tweaks what owners aren't consistant with.
jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Noobs wrote:She used BAT in this episode - the reactive dog got rewarded for calm behavior by stepping away from the other dog.
We been using this method with Jake, it's seems to be working really well.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Bootsie wrote:Does anybody on here watch The Dog Whisperer as well? I think it is also important to incorporate the "pack mentality" concept into training. I did see this episode and it was a good one. I did like that she rewarded the dog for being calm. This teaches him the association of calmness and reward. Good episode.
Here's how most of us feel about him: http://www.positively.com/forum/viewtop ... 11&t=11140
--dontpugme
chay

Post by chay »

the problem with the "pack mentality" as folk like CM try to use it, is that it is actually based on completely outdated concepts (captive wolves do not behave like wild wolves, and neither acts like domestic dogs!) which has since been thoroughly disproved by modern animal behavioral science.

i still very much believe in the "pack" as in the dog is a member of my family - but i am her teacher, her parent, her protector and her friend, not her "alpha" or "the boss" or any of that nonsense that is so unfortunately perpetuated on shows like TDW

this is an arctle emmabeth wrote - it is mainly regarding the many misconceptions about "dominance" rather than being about "the pack" itself, but it has a great breakdown on why the pack idea (as CM sells it) is actually completely flawed

http://www.positively.com/forum/viewtop ... f=20&t=600
keiki

Post by keiki »

What is BAT? This is the first time I've been on this site. I watch VS & Cesar & use info from both. It's all helpful to a degree, but I have a 7 yr old Rat Terrier that has been fear aggressive for a long time. The best thing is to keep her away from all dogs & watch her & correct her constantly while walking. I've come to the conclusion that she has a serious behavioral problem & she's not going to ever recover & be a calm dog, but she's my dog & I'll stand by her.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

keiki wrote:What is BAT? This is the first time I've been on this site. I watch VS & Cesar & use info from both. It's all helpful to a degree, but I have a 7 yr old Rat Terrier that has been fear aggressive for a long time. The best thing is to keep her away from all dogs & watch her & correct her constantly while walking. I've come to the conclusion that she has a serious behavioral problem & she's not going to ever recover & be a calm dog, but she's my dog & I'll stand by her.
Check out this thread we have on BAT: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10044&hilit=BAT
--dontpugme
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

keiki wrote:What is BAT? This is the first time I've been on this site. I watch VS & Cesar & use info from both. It's all helpful to a degree, but I have a 7 yr old Rat Terrier that has been fear aggressive for a long time. The best thing is to keep her away from all dogs & watch her & correct her constantly while walking. I've come to the conclusion that she has a serious behavioral problem & she's not going to ever recover & be a calm dog, but she's my dog & I'll stand by her.
The primary reason your not seeing progress is your making a common mistake. thinking your dog needs to be corrected for it's reaction to other dogs. The problem with following CM is that he views what the dog is doing as right and wrong. if wrong, correct. the problem is a fearful dog isn't doing anything wrong. they do not need to be "corrected". Yes, their behavior needs to be addressed and their reaction to what it is they fear changed, but that isn't the same as being "wrong" and needing "corrections".

It's much like if you feared spiders and were forced into a room full of spiders and every time you reacted in fear you were told that your fear was wrong. not very helpful for over coming something you fear.

If you post in the training section regarding this issue we can help. Many of us have dogs who have fear issues with other dogs and have been able to help them. For example when I started working with my dog he couldn't be calm when he saw any dog at just about any distance. Today he can pass other dogs, play with other dogs etc and go on peaceful walks.

If your willing to drop the correction idea, put in some work and be patient, you can make life better for both your dog and your self. For someone saying "I'll Stand by her"...you are already showing that you can be patient, let us help you with the rest of it.