Episode 305 - Rocky Road - (Feb 5)

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Victoria
Site Admin

Re: Episode 305 - Rocky Road - (Feb 5)

Post by Victoria »

Neeksmom wrote:I just want to thank you for such a great show, I've taken the advice you've given others and the results are fantastic. Although my counter surfing beagle is another story. But she's only 23 lbs not 50 lbs like the one who had to go to fat camp. I wish you all the best and hope the show continues for a longtime.

Patty Cipriani
thank you, I appreciate it
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Simonsmom wrote:How did you deal with the biting? Also, did the family have to medicate him, or were the problems solved with proper exercise?
See the answer to a similar question
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

andyspal wrote:Interesting show. It really drove home the concept that dogs need enrichment in their lives, as well as a structured stable daily life. Are Wheaten terriers prone to OCD, or was it just this individual? I think any dog would be stressed with that amount of turmoil in the home.
I'm glad you were able to get the family to focus on their responsibility to their pet.
Some dogs are more prone to developing a compulsive disorder than others and there are breeds that can develop breed specific compulsions such as tail spinning in bull terriers suggesting a genetic predisposition to the condition if environmental factors provoke it.
MichelleD

Post by MichelleD »

This was a really good episode -- clearly illustrates the need for exercise, and it was great to see the family move past their bickering and focus on the dog's needs.

How many days were you there working with them? It's hard to judge time watching the show.
KarenBowz

Post by KarenBowz »

Your episode with the Wheaten Terrier was quite heartbreaking. I own and dearly love an 11-year-old Wheaten. The family on the show bought their Wheaten at a pet store (so the dog was from a puppy mill and never socialized as a young puppy). What were they thinking? Did they do any research about a breed suitable for them? No. That poor Wheaten needed love, training, and care. His coat was an absolute mess, leading me to believe the owners didn't even bother with daily combing and trips to a groomer. The Wheaten whirled and damaged the walls. Wheatens do the "Wheaten Whirl" when they are excited and/or happy or just because they want to (they don't do it for hours on end because they are ignored and left behind a gate so that they can't interact with people). People. Wheatens are people dogs. They are sensitive and some are prone to being anxious if not exercised or given attention. I feel so sorry for that Wheaten Terrier. He deserves better. The family should never have purchased that breed, and I'd be surprised to hear that they have followed your advice. This episode truly touched home for me. I love your show and your training methods. Thank you, Karen and Bowzer the Wheaten (who is from a reputable hobby breeder)
koby10

Post by koby10 »

Great show last night!!! When I saw that dog spinning around it made me think about the pet store in my town that sells puppies. I go there to purchase toys for my puppy and many times I watch the the dogs in the glass cages spinning around! They also huddle in the corners and lick the glass. My heart breaks when I see this. All their puppies are poodle mixes. Why do people think that just because a dog has poodle in it that it's going to be an easy to handle dog? I have an 8 month old Schnauzer/Poodle mix and he is a hand full! I did however do a lot of research before hand and purchased my puppy from a breeder that allowed me to meet the parents and all his litter mates. Last season you did a show on how to pick out a puppy which I watched and I also bought your book. To bad this family didn't research the breed they were buying or they would have known that it was a high energy dog! I sincerely hope this family works hard to give that beautiful dog what he needs. I did love it when you called the one daughter out on not picking up the poop! You could tell she never gave it a thought.
atarashi2011

Post by atarashi2011 »

Great show, the episodes have gradually improved this season. I liked your attitude towards the guy with the blackberry.

One question: why did you not suggest a no pull harness to this family, such as easy walk? Anything to do with the dog's condition?

Thanks and keep up the good work!
CynAmun

Post by CynAmun »

Best show this season!!

I agree with the other post that more info on the meds would have been helpful. It seems like there was another episode with a vet but no discussion of what was prescribed. I think it was the dog with severe separation anxiety when the other dog left the house.

I loved your comment about ADHD. One of my favorite things about you is the science behind what you do. Rather than just sticking to your personal experience, you learn from the decades of behavioral research. I work with people. After my first class in applied behavior analysis, I had to realize that although my methods worked, they weren't the most effective.

I did notice that mom said "bought" and I got an image in my head of 2 little girls in a pet store. I kept listening for some information about puppy mills but I might have missed it.

I was glad to see you went to Animal Haven. Hopefully, they will go to a rescue group or shelter next time.
hellogoodfriiend

Post by hellogoodfriiend »

Gosh this episode really did make me tear up! it seriously breaks my heart to see a family and dog go through such troubles.

Victoria, I would love to know how the family is doing now and if they kept up with the training?
<3 teresa (:

"Happiness is a warm puppy" ~ Charles M. Schulz
wickedhippy

Post by wickedhippy »

I had to think before I posted because I wanted to make sure I asked the question right...

Victoria, do you believe that certain people should be tested before being able to adopt a dog? Seeing this family, I feel that the dog got the short end of the stick (so to speak), when it was brought into this house-hold. They should have never been allowed to get the dog if they weren't going to treat it with kindness, respect and give it the love and exercise that he so desperately needed. But, how do we keep this from happening (as I know it does)?

This episode was the most emotional one - for me - that I've seen in awhile. The FIRST one that ever made me actually cry. I agree with previous posters that this is one family that would benefit from an update.

You are an amazing human being - someone I look up to for holding your temper back, when I would have been slapping people left and right (though I know that's kind of a bad idea on national television). Someone who obviously reads dogs phenomenally well, and leaves them in better place then when they started.

Perhaps you bring the bad to light - and sometimes, that's the only thing that will help.
"If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies" ~ Anonymous
Creator of the We Love Victoria Stilwell Fan Site http://victoriastilwellfans.webs.com/
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

CynAmun wrote:I agree with the other post that more info on the meds would have been helpful.......

.....I kept listening for some information about puppy mills but I might have missed it.
my two cents...both these topics might be better addressed by a blog post or article by Victoria.

While IMOD might reach a broader audience than a blog post or article might, the shows format and the way it gets edited really do not make it the best platform to go into these topics. Particularly the meds issue. Not being a Vet, Victoria has to be careful for liability reasons what she says. AND there are many variables that go into "ok this dogs should have meds" but "this other dog shouldn't", which may be diffecult to impossible to show in the allowed time, format, editing needs. Also want to be careful that people don't get the impression meds are a quick magical fix for their dogs issues by not understanding the line between just needing to do a better job meeting the dogs training and life needs and having an actual issue where meds are needed to assist in training.