Episode 304 - Bad to the Bone (Jan 29)

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BoardHost
Site Admin

Episode 304 - Bad to the Bone (Jan 29)

Post by BoardHost »

Victoria plays referee in a warring family's bitter fight, sparked by their unruly Pitbull and a painful history.

Post questions for Victoria about this episode in this thread.
BoardHost
nightsrainfall

Re: Episode 304 - Bad to the Bone (Jan 29)

Post by nightsrainfall »

Again it's a lot on the family. I think I wouldn't mind the people focus if more was said about how cleaning clutter improves dynamic, or how changing relationships improves moods. I know these things are implied, I just like them reiterated in-case my interpretation of the implication is incorrect.

I do like seeing how Bones has a hard time focusing and about territorial and what to do (or the patience and waiting game around it.)
- Anna

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
~ Roger A. Caras
gremerkle

Post by gremerkle »

How do you decide when it is time for medication? How do you know when a dog is too hypervigilant, insecure, and unsettled? How can you tell what can be fixed by training and what requires additional assistance?
RockysMa

Post by RockysMa »

I thought this was an excellent episode. I learn something new every episode. This episode I learned that two leads could be used on a larger breed (which I have, doberman) to help teach them not to pull. My doberman is still a puppy and I will definitely try that out and see if it helps with the turning around to stop pulling. :)
Barb Gadola

Post by Barb Gadola »

What brand of harness is used in this episode?
cinnywatches

Post by cinnywatches »

I know Bones was fearful of people in his house, but what about while on a walk? How was he with people? And if he acted fearful, what would you do?
leslie123

Post by leslie123 »

I can't believe I'm about ready to give up on IMOTD :( I can see very clearly that family dynamics play an important role in dog training. Seeing the pain this family was in was difficult to watch and I can't argue at all that Victoria seemed to have brought a road to healing for them. For that I say well done! I can live with the idea that the show wants to have a bit more focus on the human side of things to give a broader picture of how dogs respond and how they can't respond under stress. That being said, as a viewer I am not interested in 3/4 of the show being about the humans, with the last 1/4 at best actually showing some training techniques. Do those in charge of the show think that we as viewers are tired of watching Victoria work with dogs? I can speak for myself and say absolutely not! There were two things that I found particularly bothersome in this episode. The first was the organizer coming in and messing with their things. It looked as though it was done without notice and the only scenes they showed made it appear that the family especially grandma were pretty flustered by the whole thing. I hope that was just a bad case of editing because the impression it left made that whole scene look very invasive. The other thing that was even more troubling to me was the decision to leave in a 10 second clip with the one boy dropping the F bomb. :x I know it was bleeped, but his mouth wasn't covered and it was obvious what he was saying. I watch this show with my 12 yo daughter, we don't need to see that, it adds nothing to the show. I really wish I could leave more positive feedback, but as Victoria realizes sometimes you just have to have that talk around the table and tell it like it is. I'm a huge fan, I want the show to succeed and I sincerely hope my opinions (which are expressed out of love for the show) aren't in the minority. My only question for Victoria about this episode is how did you feel about doing that little product placement? I almost fell off my chair in shock on that one! :shock:
wickedhippy

Post by wickedhippy »

I think there are a lot of different opinions on this show - and that's awesome. For every person that seems to hate it, another three are loving it. Unfortunately, you don't hear as much feedback from those that love it. Those that hate it have NO problem saying how they feel, no matter how hateful or rude it may sound.

I would be embarrassed to write rude and hateful things knowing that Victoria reads here.

I am one that LOVES this show - the new format is interesting and shows more about the ME part of It's Me or the Dog. The people part.

And I can't believe people are getting so upset about the KitKat. Don't you remember last year when they used the PLEDGE Fabric Sweeper? Do you not see Victoria driving VW Bugs? Do you guys honestly think these shows are put together for free? Nothing wrong with mentioning a sponsor now and then.

I do have one question for you Victoria - do you plan on re-visiting any of these families for a follow up? I would be interested in seeing what has happened with them.
"If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies" ~ Anonymous
Creator of the We Love Victoria Stilwell Fan Site http://victoriastilwellfans.webs.com/
nightsrainfall

Post by nightsrainfall »

Yeah I do really miss the follow up part too, but the more I'm seeing these new episodes the more I'm warming up and liking them. Guess I'm just slow to change, lol. What I really like is seeing all the different dog activities: Tug, frisbee, doga (last episode). It's nice to know the things that are out there that I may have not know before, or had forgotten about.

And I actually didn't notice the product placement (kitkat?) if there was one.

Anyway, can't wait till next week's episode!
- Anna

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
~ Roger A. Caras
leslie123

Post by leslie123 »

wickedhippy wrote:I think there are a lot of different opinions on this show - and that's awesome. For every person that seems to hate it, another three are loving it. Unfortunately, you don't hear as much feedback from those that love it. Those that hate it have NO problem saying how they feel, no matter how hateful or rude it may sound.

I would be embarrassed to write rude and hateful things knowing that Victoria reads here.

I am one that LOVES this show - the new format is interesting and shows more about the ME part of It's Me or the Dog. The people part.

And I can't believe people are getting so upset about the KitKat. Don't you remember last year when they used the PLEDGE Fabric Sweeper? Do you not see Victoria driving VW Bugs? Do you guys honestly think these shows are put together for free? Nothing wrong with mentioning a sponsor now and then.

I do have one question for you Victoria - do you plan on re-visiting any of these families for a follow up? I would be interested in seeing what has happened with them.
I don't believe my comments were rude and hateful. If they did come across that way I sincerely apologize. I was trying to give some viewer feedback as I stated. I also stated several times how much I love the show and Victoria. Obviously I know the shows aren't put on for free, the way the product placement was done in tonight's show was just surprising to me. I have noticed that many people do like the new format and thats great. I would wish nothing but success for Victoria and the show. I don't feel bad about offering my feedback as a follower of the show. My experience on this board has always been that all opinions are welcome as long as they are offered constructively.
wickedhippy

Post by wickedhippy »

leslie123 wrote: I don't believe my comments were rude and hateful. If they did come across that way I sincerely apologize. I was trying to give some viewer feedback as I stated. I also stated several times how much I love the show and Victoria. Obviously I know the shows aren't put on for free, the way the product placement was done in tonight's show was just surprising to me. I have noticed that many people do like the new format and thats great. I would wish nothing but success for Victoria and the show. I don't feel bad about offering my feedback as a follower of the show. My experience on this board has always been that all opinions are welcome as long as they are offered constructively.
I'm sorry, I wasn't talking about you specifically. I just meant the board in general. And constructive criticism is always good - if it's constructive and not just hateful commenting.
"If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies" ~ Anonymous
Creator of the We Love Victoria Stilwell Fan Site http://victoriastilwellfans.webs.com/
maryshowme

Post by maryshowme »

I was glad to see that Victoria address the whole spectrum of change needed to help Bones. I think the turning point was when the boys began to have fun with Bones. I was disappointed that "kit kat" made its way to the actual footage of the show, rather than staying in the commercial part.
special127

Post by special127 »

Hello Victoria I'm Watching this edisode RIGHT now and Bones Reminds me of my husky .. Shes VERY reactive towards dogs (wants to play with the dog) and pulls on her lead . :( Im live in brooklyn Ny and im taking basic manners classes but its NOT helping . Can You help me? my email is [email protected]
Thank you!

~Amanda
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

@Special: If you are interested in receiving help for your dog, please post your issue (including a detailed run down of the day) in the Dog Training Forum. Thanks!
Chance1214

Post by Chance1214 »

i watched the episode last night and there were things i really liked and things i hope that are brought back to the show such as a few of you mentioned, the follow up, i think most of you really love seeing how the families improve or fail and this is a main part of the show when Victoria comes back and sometimes has to hlp them again and tell them to shape up. i'm working on catching up on episodes from this season i am behind, so i see the changes, those boys letting there dibilitated grandmother and mother taking care of that big pitbull alone was just i dont even have words i can properly describe on here to use i mean i could see Victoria was just steaming out of the ears! it was ridiculous and how those boys were acting like they were children cleaning up the poop? they're men! besides all that it was great to see them so happy with Bones at the end, and training him so quickly, i mean Pits are such smart loving, great dogs and Bones was beautiful. i just hope they keep it up.
i for one know about stress and how it can affect a dog. when i got my pup, a family member was arrested (politics ugh) and there were very stressful times in my family that were unavoidable and my dog felt it. but once i learned how to cope he which i still work on constantly its really tough especially because my dog was best friends with my brothers dog now they can not ever see each other... but he is for sure less stressed out not as much barking and anxiety as well as lisetning to me more.
its nice to see focus on the people but the tips ive learned in past years on this show have been so great in trainng my pooch i hope it continues to focus there!! because i think we all lov it for that as well