Episode 301 - Menace to High Society (Jan 8)

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BoardHost
Site Admin

Episode 301 - Menace to High Society (Jan 8)

Post by BoardHost »

Victoria strives to restore order and correct a dog's neglected health when she enters the world of New York socialite Jill Zarin, whose excessive dog pampering, which includes fancy parties and doggy bling, is threatening her lifestyle.

Post your questions about this episode in this thread.
BoardHost
leslie123

Re: Episode 301 - Menace to High Society (Jan 8)

Post by leslie123 »

I'm not even sure where to start. I think I'll just get to the heart of it. How did you maintain your composure so well with an owner who seemed to not only ignore your training advice, but at times argue with you? I just kept thinking the entire episode what a waste of your expertise that whole show was. I could see Ginger responding rather well when she was given the chance to, but most of the time she was just being carried around from shop to shop. I was appalled when Jill asked about a car service for the hydrotherapy, and even more saddened to see she hadn't even taken (or sent her) once. For me, one of the most beautiful aspects of the positive training method is the relationship you develop with your dog. If I were to send my dog for training, yes he would be trained, but I would miss out on the whole process and the bonding, so why even have a dog? Was the decision for Jill to be on the show something to do with network politics, like some sort of cross promotion of shows? It just seemed so different than the shows I've seen you do in the past.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

I googled Jill Zarin & I had no idea she is on "Real Housewives of NY" She has her own website (in addition to Zarin's fabrics ) & and has also written a book. All I can say is "interesting..."

Anyway about Ginger.... I wonder if she was given anything for her knee pain or if the hydrotherapy was relieving enough as she did she happier/relaxed after the session. Did she take any meds on the other days? The way it appeared Jill simply didn't recognize her body language. A large % of dog owners don't.

The format of this episode didn't follow the previous seasons. VS did not tell Jill she would return & seemed surprised when VS "showed up" @ the spa. The ending was unsatisfactory for me as I really didn't get the feeling that Jill would continue the training & would take Ginger to therapy. :?
clicknow

Post by clicknow »

Hello all,

First, I should disclose that I haven't been able to see this episode yet, so maybe my question is answered in it. I watched the trailer/teaser available on animal planet's website last night and was actually really shocked to hear Victoria say that a high-protein diet is linked to aggression increase in dogs. I've met many, many dogs on high protein diets and raw diets, low carb (or carbohydrate-free) and grain-free diets, and since I feed a high-protein diet to my own animals (after quite a bit of research to make sure I'm doing it in a balanced way) I was naturally concerned because I have never, NEVER heard that before, except from very uneducated people who are vague and can never back up their words with articles/research/studies or even anecdata. Even now, I'm doing the searches online and checking my nutrition resources, and there's warnings here about calcium deficit, the dangers of vitamin A overload, weight gain for low-activity animals, a possible connection between high-protein and decreased kidney function in renal failure animals, but there's nothing about increased aggressive response.

Yes, that dog's diet was unbalanced, and the dog was also fat. But where did Victoria get that increased aggression stuff? I'd really like to know, because I, and my colleagues, haven't seen that study.
Salistra

Post by Salistra »

Hi all

I admit I only got to see bits and pieces of this episode but I was an avid Housewives of NY watcher. Jill is very argumentative and when I saw she was on "It's me or the Dog" ... I thought .... Victoria is wasting her time with that woman. Jill is the type of person who thinks she knows it all and she's going to do what she wants to do with her dog. I was surprised she even let Victoria talk!

I am positive she agreed to be on Victoria's show for other reasons than having her behavior and dog's behavior corrected. She's all about the "I'm a TV Star".

Just my opinion for what its worth.

Salistra
koby10

Post by koby10 »

I am not sure what to think about last nights episode! I'm curious if this how the whole season will be going? So many problems were uncovered with Ginger, but I not sure that any were solved. I felt so sorry for that little dog. I am curious about the relationship between to much protein in a dogs diet and aggressive behavior. I have an 8 month old Schnauzer/Poodle mix who is being feed Holistic Select dog food. He gets 1/4 cup twice a day and just loves it, but he has become some what aggressive. He will bite the backs of my legs and show his teeth to me when I try and correct him. I searched a long time to find a food that didn't have fillers and all kinds of junk in it but now I'm worried that the food might have to much protein in it. Could I have created my own problems with this food? He does not get treats unless we are working on training with him but they usually are small bits of chicken. Someone told me this is just "little dog syndrome" but I have no idea what that is! He was very laid back when we brought him home at 8 weeks so this aggression has come as a bit of a surprise. He is very friendly with all people that come into our home and also with anyone he meets outside on walks, no hint of aggression at all. It's like I have a puppy with a dual personality. Any suggestions?
harold95

Post by harold95 »

Licking up the nose. My shih tzu does this to me all the time. Is it a good/bad thing? Whats it a sign of? Thanks!
Harold, and MY Lucy...
lvs4art

Post by lvs4art »

Why? - Was this AP's suggestion for ratings? I always thought you had more integrity than to pander to such decadence and self-indulgence. This woman's self-absorption allowed little/no time to actually be concerned with the well-being of h...er pet.
There are hundreds of families here in New Mexico who could use a lamb chop on their own plates.
Plumber

Post by Plumber »

Like others have said on here, I was surprised by the high protein diet = aggression comment. Is there any chance of some further clarification on this.
bekagoose

Post by bekagoose »

Hello! I just watched the episode and was a little upset when Jill had her friends and dogs come over. I felt they were rude to you (Victoria) and I also felt none of them were listening to you, especially when Ginger snapped at the women in white! My question is in those situations how do you keep your cool and remain calm especially when they are talking over you and interrupting you?

Also if a lot of protein can cause aggression then how do carbs counter act that? And if you feed to many carbs how does that affect your dogs behavior? To much fiber?
doggy style

Post by doggy style »

I have to agree with some others. i think that was, a just to kick off the season show and lets see if we can get anybody "tv famous", to do the show for higher ratings maybe.? gotta remember its all about marketing,and since the show is getting huge i doubt victoria has any say in that department. although i think if jill were a regular person,victoria wouldnt of put up with her shananigans at all.it seemed like she had to hold back a bit because of who the client was,but i dont think we have nothing to worry about. we will be seeing victoria crack some skulls in this new season!
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

I was surprised that it wasn't the same format I guess u'd call it where u did observations, talked to the owner about the problems, trained, then left and came bk.
Are the rest of the episodes gonna be like this 1? Has Jill done the hydrotherapy Lately?
I was also surprised u stood over Ginger when she was guarding her bed but u exPlaned y. But I didn't understand how blinking is saying you're not a threat cause we blink all the time. It's like an automatic thing.
I Can't wait to c u rap and train the pig!!! R u training chickens 2?
Also r u gonna sing in ur next podcast? Please!!
Last edited by sj96skittles on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
braeraphael

Post by braeraphael »

I have not seen the episode yet. But I can't wait to see it! From what I have read, it looks like a lot of fans/viewers have a lot of negative feedback about dog owner Jill. I think it must be hard to watch someone not appear serious, and clueless about dogs, and have someone who knows tons about training look as if they can't get their point across accurately. Also put yourself in that situation. I think as a dog trainer you also have to be a human trainer, and you have to work with the person. Someone like Jill may have not taken to lightly to Victoria's tough love tactics. But who really knows?

Also there is a lot of talk about the high protein diet can lead to aggression in dogs. There is some speculation about this study, but I don't think there is a clear 100% full proof study on it.

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10 ... 00.217.504

there is also this link:
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/ca ... n-in-dogs/

I believe Diet does plays an important role in dog behavior. I wish there was better, accurate research on the matter. Many dog trainers claim that raw food is the way to go, and some say it's not. We have a lot to learn, but what it really comes down to is educating yourself about training, and training your dog positively.

@koby10, how are you disciplining your dog? what is your dog doing wrong that needs correcting? Are you smacking, hitting the dog? Teach the dog what you want it to do instead of what NOT to do.

I lived in NY for five years and miss it dearly. It will be great to see familiar places. NY is a tough city full of wonderful people and dogs. Victoria is a wonderful trainer, and I can't wait to see what awaits this season!
Last edited by braeraphael on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cinnywatches

Post by cinnywatches »

how can you help a fearful dog to become more social? Should they go places like petcos, petsmarts and parks to interact with people or is it best to keep them away from people?
thanks
braeraphael

Post by braeraphael »

cinnywatches wrote:how can you help a fearful dog to become more social? Should they go places like petcos, petsmarts and parks to interact with people or is it best to keep them away from people?
thanks
I know one thing you can do is take a book, and your dog to the park. Find a nice bench and sit and read. Every time some one walks by, give your dog a yummy treat. Now your dog is going to start associating wonderful things happening when people walk by. You can also ask people to throw a yummy treat at your dog as they walk by. They shouldn't have to pet the dog, or look at the dog, but continue on their way. Going to the petcos', petsmart, or home depots are great. Do the same thing, offer a yummy treat every time someone walks by. Better yet, have the people throw a yummy treat at the dog.

Also teach your dog the hand target game. click the link below and scroll down to "teaching target"

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/vict ... -training/

once your dog is an expert at hand target, invite friends or family member to do the same thing.
Always go at your dog's pace. Make everything a positive experience. It takes time and patience, but over time your dog will begin to learn that people are good things.