Episode 217 - Feisty Females - May 15

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BoardHost
Site Admin

Episode 217 - Feisty Females - May 15

Post by BoardHost »

No live chat this week, but Victoria will still answer your questions about last weekend's episode of It's Me or the Dog,, "Feisty Females." Post your questions about the episode in this thread and Victoria will answer them.

Feisty Females
Sheena Best and Tiffaney Thompson are a couple living with two female dogs: Ellie the dachshund, and Nyla the Yorkshire terrier. The dogs really dislike each other and wear diapers due to their housetraining problems. Sheena has been spoiling the dogs, making their behavior so bad it is ruining her relationship with Tiffaney.
BoardHost
thayeso

Re: Episode 217 - Feisty Females - May 15

Post by thayeso »

Victoria,

As always, I enjoyed the show.

Curious question: Did Ellie and Nyla dislike each other from the start or did they develop a dislike of each other over time? Also, I'm glad Tiffaney & Sheena decided not to re-home one of the dogs or break-up over this; I like happy endings. :D

Tammy
braeraphael

Post by braeraphael »

Hi Victoria,

I have noticed when watching your shows, and especially with this episode, that when you give the dog a no reward marker, you don't use the word "no". Is that a personal choice? To me the word "no" is overused in dog training. I think many people abuse the word and the poor dog has no idea what you want. Actually, a great example of that was with the episode, "Bulldog Battle". Owner Jennie wanted to use the word "no" instead of "turn away". Do you think the word "no" is just another word that is over used with dogs? People use the word "no" in such a negative context, and that is over-used, dogs can't understand what you want them to do. "NONONONONONONONONONO!" how confusing and annoying.
I find myself saying the word, "whoops" in a soft tone when the dog has made a mistake, and we start over.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Hi Victoria: In Bulldog Battle you taught the dogs to turn away before a fight could begin. I would think that this technique would be taught to Nyla & Elllie. Why wasn't it taught? Or will that be taught later when they relax a bit more on a everyday basis. I am in total agreement that Sheena perpetuated the dislike btwn the 2 dogs. And the excessive clothing...EWW!
Was it ever suggested to them to get a dog walker/ pet sitter for a few hrs a day to help with the potty training.? I really didn't agree with the grass patch thing. I feel its confusing for a dog to go 'inside' and 'outside' too. I suppose the grass patch is as close as you can get to an outdoor feel I'm sure that was the best alternative. Frankly I feel somebody should come by & take them out until they are potty trained 100%.

I never miss an episode & the format is much better than the old UK version. I watch them from time to time & there is so much edited out. I am vey happy with the 1 hr long version. Keep up the great work!!

PS May I ask how tall are you?
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

Hi victoria!! Great episode!! It was amazing how u got the 2 dogs in the same room together!! Great job!! :D
I have a few questions
I understood why u did the magazine thing with Nyla. But I didn't really get what u do once u were done distracting her. why did u put her crate next to the door? Was it to block her from getting to it?
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

Im sorry!! One more question. On the Maltese episode how did Tilly do on her service dog test? Is she a service dog now? Thanx!!
Last edited by sj96skittles on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyspal

Post by andyspal »

Victoria, I love your show. I've learned so much, and continue to learn. My question is: would it have been better for Sheena to have dogs of opposite sex to avoid conflicts, or wouldn't it have made a difference? Also, I was impressed by how well you worked with Tiffaney to get her involved in the training, and how quickly she picked up on it.
I'm looking forward to seeing the shows shot in NY.
Salomé

Post by Salomé »

Hi Victoria,

I was wondering, which dog was the first one? Watching the dogs' interaction and remembering your comment at the beginning about the importance of introducing a new dog on neutral territory, it seemed as though Nyla was the first one and that Ellie was brought in later. Nyla seemed more protective of her territory and less capable (at the very start of training) of letting go of her aggression and hatred. How old was each dog at the time of the introduction? Did Nyla demonstrate that strong antipathy from the very start or did something happen to trigger the dogs' hatred?

Regarding the magazine trick, it would seem to me that, after a number times, a smart dog would pick up that "Oh, Mommy is dawdling in the corridor by the door reading something again. So that must mean she's going to go in there in a few minutes." Given how Nyla watched Sheena's every movement and that the bedroom was a sore point, I would think it wouldn't fool her for very long or be a long-term solution. Would it have been possible to desensitize the dogs' focus on the bedroom or not to make it such a high-value place in Nyla's eyes?

Thanks again for the time you take in answering our questions and, more importantly, for showing us all how to have the happiest dogs possible.
Doglover42

Post by Doglover42 »

Hello Victoria!

How are you? First off I really want to say I love your show and your positive training method!
You're a huge inspiration!!!

The recent episode was great just as always!
Some quick questions:
You said that doggy clothes mask the scent of the dog, is that why Ellie got so anxious
every time Nyla entered the room? or did they always dislike each other from the beginning?

What is the best age to start training a puppy?

Do you think dog training is needed more in Great Britain or in America? and do dog owners
here think differently than in Britain?

Thank you so much for taking your time to answer!
Please come to Florida!
~ Deshani
Doglover42

Post by Doglover42 »

Sorry but another quick question!
Have you ever worked with a person or people whose dog got severely hurt by a choke collar?? :(
Thanks Victoria! :D
PaintedDogBone

Post by PaintedDogBone »

Hi Victoria, I haven't seen the episode because i live in the UK but it sounds awesome anyways i was wondering how do you keep up the consistency or rather the attention of the dog with the 'look away' technique (i think thats what its called) because a friend of mines dog always comes to her then doesnt listen to her and walks away.

(sorry im not very good at explaining things)

x Jodi
You gotta love something, I love Dogs! :) :)