Episode 213 - Lazy Dog Days - April 17

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BoardHost
Site Admin

Episode 213 - Lazy Dog Days - April 17

Post by BoardHost »

Victoria will chat live in this thread about the most recently aired episode, Lazy Dog Days, at 9pm EDT on Monday, April 19.
BoardHost
thayeso

Re: Episode 213 - Lazy Dog Days - April 17

Post by thayeso »

Hi Victoria,

I really enjoy watching "It's me or the dog." The show always puts a smile on my face. First, I appreciate you being totally straightforward with Chad. Second, do you keep in touch with the dog owners to ensure that they continue with the training? Third, in your opinion, what is the percentage of owners that continue with the training after you leave? I ask because you spend a lot of time with the owners and some owners seem to revert to their old ways before you leave. Finally, you said that you weigh 110 pounds; does working with the dogs keep you fit or do you have to work-out? Just curious. Personally, I think that you are natural thin.

I appreciate all that you do.
Tammy
thayeso

Post by thayeso »

To everyone:

Want to share with you all. I'm so proud of my daughter, Diane. Diane posted: Heading down to Springfield with my coworkers for early childhood advocacy day! . Apr 14th

Tammy
doggy style

Post by doggy style »

Victoria, I noticed you weren't using treats for the youngest dog, the big one. Did that surprise you that such a young inexperienced dog replied so well to basic obedient commands without food motivation or is that a more common thing we just don't see on the show.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

I really liked this episode. Had the dogs fought on the bed before you came?
--dontpugme
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Hello everyone! I'll be here for the next hour answering your questions about last weekend's episode - Lazy Dog Days. Let's get started!
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

thayeso wrote:Hi Victoria,

I really enjoy watching "It's me or the dog." The show always puts a smile on my face.
Thanks!
First, I appreciate you being totally straightforward with Chad.
Yes, some people need more of a reality check than others to really light their fire. Chad was a challenge, but I think we got some good work done.
Second, do you keep in touch with the dog owners to ensure that they continue with the training?
Yes, I do periodically check in with many of the owners. With some of them, I know that they're dedicated and will stay on track, while with others, I sometimes have my doubts. I do hear back from them, although my job ultimately isn't to be a policeman, but rather to give them the tools to succeed.
Third, in your opinion, what is the percentage of owners that continue with the training after you leave? I ask because you spend a lot of time with the owners and some owners seem to revert to their old ways before you leave.
The vast majority of owners I work with on the show continue the training and continue to make progress making theirs and their dogs' lives better. If they revert back to their old ways during the show, I am usually able to set them straight upon my return.
Finally, you said that you weigh 110 pounds; does working with the dogs keep you fit or do you have to work-out? Just curious. Personally, I think that you are natural thin.
Certainly, working with dogs can keep you fit. When I was pregnant with my daughter in the last trimester, we were living in NJ in February and I had to walk a 150 pound Newfoundland and a rambuntious mixbreed on the snow and ice several times a day. It certainly helped keep me active during my pregnancy, although I didn't enjoy bending over with a huge tummy to pick up steaming piles of Newfie poop on the icy sidewalk!
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

doggy style wrote:Victoria, I noticed you weren't using treats for the youngest dog, the big one. Did that surprise you that such a young inexperienced dog replied so well to basic obedient commands without food motivation or is that a more common thing we just don't see on the show.
Good question. I just use whatever most motivates the dogs, and he was motivated primarily by attention and praise. In general, it's probably accurate to say that the majority of dogs are most motivated by food, but every dog is different, and you have to find what works best. So no, it didn't surprise me.
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

Victoria, I just want to tell you. I enjoyed the show. Thank you for everything you do for animals. You are the best. :D
I wished I was the person my dogs thinks I am.
k9partnership

Post by k9partnership »

Big dogs - did you recommend 'no-pull' harnesses for them? I agree with everything you showed them - more structure needed to balance family life.
Daphne Robert-Hamilton, CPDT-KA, CAP2
K-9 Partnership
Licensed by Victoria Stilwell Positively Dog Training, LLC
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

Oh sorry, PS I love your site here. Everyone is so helpful.
I wished I was the person my dogs thinks I am.
Dominika

Post by Dominika »

Hi, Victoria.

I am from the UK so I'm sorry I'm not posting regarding the episode....

I watched my first episode of It's Me or the Dog only about a month ago but then watched almost everything in about 3 days, I now have run out of information to take in ;)
I used to have an Alaskan Malamute that we got when I was 12 and unfortunately he never received enough training, despite my effort, I wasn't quite patient enough and often did I have him running off quite far (after dogs) or at our cottage in the forest running back to the house with a 'where have you been?!?!' face on......I was extremely happy to have no major problems with housetraining and behaviour around people hence him being a Malamute, but he could've been sooooo much better if I had known about Positive Reinforcement before. And had my mum shared my discipline efforts........My dad never took part and my mum had to rehome him after 9 years because she felt she couldn't cope and I had left the country and started studying at uni here in the UK. I'm from Slovakia originally.
I am planning on getting a dog now and I'm researching into breeds, I want a larger dog, but I'm a bit afraid I wouldn't be able to give quite enough excersise to a Malamute in my current situation and I don't quite know how much help I'll receive from my boyfriend :-P He has never had a dog - doesn't QUITE now what he's getting himself into ;) . The thing I am most excited about is training and giving the dog what I haven't to my previous dog and positive reinforcement will be so rewarding!!!!

My point.......After I finish university I am hoping to get into dog training, but is there a good alternative to the American ABC in the UK????????

You have my respect, Victoria!!! I sadly really never knew before how much can be done with the right approach. I am amazed how much you do for the dogs AND for the owners on top of it all. I hope I will be able to make such difference in dogs' lives one day.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

dontpugme wrote:I really liked this episode. Had the dogs fought on the bed before you came?
Yes, they had had disagreements on the bed in the past, and that was one of the main reasons why I wanted them off the bed to begin with. Lucas was especially protective of the bed, and would growl at anyone who came close to him while he was on the bed (including Sarah Kate, the baby!) It was vital for everyone's safety to have the dogs off the bed.

I know there have been several discussions about whether or not I condone dogs on beds or on sofas or the like, so maybe this is a good time to clear up my position. I have no problem with dogs on sofas, beds, or any other piece of furniture unless:
A) There aren't any negative behavior issues due to the dog being on the bed
and
B) Everyone in the family is ok with it.

Usually on the show, either the family's relationship is suffering because the dogs sleep in the bed or the dogs have developed serious behavior issues because they haven't been given the guidance necessary to be on the bed without issue, so that's when I'm called in.

Personally, I don't let my dog Sadie sleep on our bed or in our bedroom mostly because she snores like crazy. To each their own...
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

mustlovdoggs wrote:Victoria, I just want to tell you. I enjoyed the show. Thank you for everything you do for animals. You are the best. :D
Thanks mustlovdoggs. I really appreciate the feedback, and you should know that I feel pretty lucky to have the job that I have. I love doing it both to help the dogs and owners and hopefully to spread the word about positive reinforcement training techniques to the general public. Glad it's working for you!
Darin

Post by Darin »

Hi Victoria,

I had two dogs, a Maltese and a Shitzu for about ten years. They pretty much became 'peas and carrots'..did everything together etc. One died, then about a month later the other did. I am thinking about getting dogs again. But I have a question: When you have two dogs for so long, when one dies, what is the best way to keep the other one from be effected by the loss?

Thanks!

Darin