Episode 210 - Man vs Manny - March 20

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BoardHost
Site Admin

Episode 210 - Man vs Manny - March 20

Post by BoardHost »

Victoria will chat live in this thread on Monday night, March 22nd at 9pm EST about the most recent episode of It's Me or the Dog - Man vs Manny.

Victoria helps a couple whose possessive poodle has taken control of their household and is threatening to ruin their once happy marriage.
BoardHost
sj96skittles

Re: Episode 210 - Man vs Manny - March 20

Post by sj96skittles »

Hi Victoria!! Srry I missed the chat last wk. I had a question about sunny. When u were walking her u said u were using a flooding process. I thought u said u were against flooding or something like that :? What exactly is flooding? I can't waitto see the new episode!!!! I'm always looking forward to your shows!! I love what u do with dogs!! U r amazing!! :)
bordercollielover

Post by bordercollielover »

Hi Victoria, my husband and I are big fans of yours and use many of your methods of training. We have a 3 year old purebred Border collie that has a habit of licking herself in the wrong place,(if you know what I mean) we have tried to break her of it but sometimes she gets to going and humps as well while licking herself. She is fixed so I don't understand why she does this. Also, she is always trying to lick me in the same place but doesn't do this to my husband. It gets kind of annoying because she is a Border collie she is very persistent about this. Is there any advise you can give me in regards to this? We love your show and watch it all the time.

Best regards,
one of your biggest fans :wink:
daisy

Post by daisy »

Hi Victoria,

I absolutely love your show and take to heart everything you teach the dog owners. I understand the concept of desensitization and how it was used on Manny for "guarding" the female owner (work slowly and praise when there is an absence of inappropriate behavior). But what can you do when a dog has food aggression with humans and other animals. My 2 year old (ohh so sweet girl) Lhasapoo recently snapped at a dog-friend:

-Daisy (my Lhasapoo) received a big treat and hid the treat in a bush a couple feet away.
-Daisy returned to the other dogs and dog owners.
-When her dog friend approached her, Daisy snapped at other dog (even though the treat was not in her possession).
*Currently, I am working on the "leave it" and "drop it" commands and also dropping treats near her when she is eating from her bowl. I will work towards getting closer and closer to her without her exhibiting inappropriate behavior (e.g., growling, snarling).
*Once Daisy does not growl at me (even while petting her head), I plan to generalize to other people and objects (Daisy also guards her treats and toys)

Does this seem like a good plan or am I going in the bad direction????? Also, what do I do when she displays food aggression with other dogs? Should I not allow her to have food/treats when present around other animals (dogs, cats, etc)?

I appreciate your feedback. I just want Daisy to be the happiest dog possible and want to extinguish the growling behavior around her food.

Sincerely,

Chie & Daisy :D
daisy

Post by daisy »

Hello Victoria,

My friend who is becoming a dog trainer instructed me to tell Daisy, my dog, to "drop it (a treat)." If Daisy does not drop it, then hold the treat until shes drops it, then reward her for dropping it. Is that right? I don't want to make Daisy's behavior worse, so I am hesitant to implement the wrong technique. We need your help~! :(

Sincerely,

Chie & Daisy
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

Victoria,

The episode with Manny the poodle was fascinating! That was a frighteningly smart little dog. I am
impressed with your ability to remain unflappable with all those little white teeth snapping around you
as well as the repeated loud doggie brawls. My first real job was washing and brushing out poodles,
and I have great respect for poodle teeth.

First question: I must be being dense today, or have missed an important comment, but I do not quite
understand Manny's motivation when he looked to be happily greeting and licking friend Geri, and snapping
at her at the same time. It just looked so contraditory. Clearly he wasn't intending to make contact, or
she'd have lost her nose. Was this "I like you, but you're still too close to mom', or the issue of sofa
ownership, or something entirely different? Sorry to be so slow, but I'm confused, and I'd like to understand
a bit better just in case I should encounter this sometime.

Secondly, that was an enormous crate for a small poodle. Was that for ease of access and speed while in the
bed, or is that the crate size you prefer relative to the dog if you must use one?

Thank you for taking the time to share with us.

And thank you for giving me a shove last week to help my neighbor's fearful, free-roaming chihuahua. He is
now tied out on the carport and will not be a car casualty. I'm not sure that's much of an improvement, but
it's a start, and I'll keep trying :)

Skye and the white merle collies
GoofyDog2

Post by GoofyDog2 »

I watched the show last night and I have a few questions.

1. I have always heard that a crate should be a safe place where a dog will go willingly to feel comfortable and safe, and never to be used as an aversion or "punishment". But in this case Manny was corrected for unwanted behavior with a verbal "Uh-Oh!" or "No!", and then picked up and put into the crate which was completely enclosed in opaque fabric. I would think that would frighten the dog. I'd be frightened if someone picked me up and locked me in a dark, unfamiliar room. :shock:

2. I was surprised when you shrieked loudly to stop the dogs from fighting, but the camera was on Judy so at first I thought it was her. Then, later, you advised the use of a whistle, blown loudly, as an aversion. But we never got to see how the dogs reacted. :wink:

3. I fully agree with your initial statement that these dogs needed both owners to show leadership, and enforce rules and boundaries, and especially for Judy to stop reinforcing the dogs' unwanted behavior by protecting and cuddling. Judy clearly showed signs of major stress, and she seemed to make good progress after your visit. :)

4. When one of the dogs showed too much excitement about meeting another dog on the walk, I think you advised just walking the other way without saying anything to the dog. Shouldn't you tell the dog that you are changing directions, rather than just pulling him around with the leash? Or is the idea to have the dog pay attention to you without verbal cues? :?:

Jolly good show! :D
GoofyDog
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Great episode! I've molded my saturday agenda so that i don't miss episodes (but sometimes it doesn't work :( ).

My parent's and i were surprised at how similar this episode was to "Boys vs Girls" with Junie B.

I was very surprised when i heard that squeal, but it works very well. My mom thought it was Judy and my dad thought it was one of the dogs. I recognized your shriek, and my parents were very surprised to figure out it's source. My dog was sleeping at our feet. He got startled and looked confused and gave us a good laugh.

I had to put laundry in the dryer and i missed the part where you worked on Manny's behavior at the front door. Can you please explain.
--dontpugme
kevsmom

Post by kevsmom »

Hi Victoria

I think you missed your calling. You should have been an opera singer. I'm really glad you became a dog trainer though. I missed the first half, but stilled enjoyed it. I thought that the "all dogs come" would confuse the dogs. How is it that they picked up on that so quickly?

Carol
Petsittingbyliz1

Post by Petsittingbyliz1 »

Victoria,
Every time I see an episode, even a rerun I pick up important tidbits so I thank you. I love your book and your method of training dogs.

Regarding the latest episode, you quickly explained the 'art' or dog fighting. You distinguished between wanting to oust them vs just wanting to end a fight. Most of the time they never draw blood you said but they certainly are able to is also what you said. Can you elaborate on that.

I also would like to know about the whistles you gave the couple. I have often thought of getting one for any fights that may escalate, as I am a pet sitter. I wonder if a regular whistle is sufficient or if I need to get a dog whistle ( I do hate the idea of the dog whistles as they seem inhumane.)

Thank you for your time and advice. Also any advice you can offer to a pet sitter would be greatly appreciated.

Liz
doggy style

Post by doggy style »

Great show. It never ceases to amaze me how simple, yet so effective your techniques work. Im sitting there saying, why didnt i think of doing that.Its so obvious yet we humans dont think that dogs will comprehend.and im sure your clients tend to think so as well. Are your tv episodes worse as in behavioral issues versus your private training sessions or do they even out? And how would one get a private session without the cameras.And if all else fails squeal at the top of your lungs! can you train me how to do that!
DuaneF

Post by DuaneF »

Hi, Victoria.

When I got my first dog, I felt as the woman in the episode did about crating. After I educated myself, I had a change of heart about using it as a training tool, as well as a place of safety and comfort for my pet.

My question is this: even though the woman used the crate on the show, (with positive results) did she ever really change her opinion about their use?

Thanks

Duane
thayeso

Post by thayeso »

Victoria,

Why do owners feel the need to baby their dogs and treat them so superior? Does the owner have an emotional and/or psychological need.

Thank You
Tammy
EADGBE

Post by EADGBE »

Hi Victoria.

That was one of the best shows ever! It had some funny moments. :D And a couple of scary ones too. :shock: And I liked your squeal. That really brought the dogs under control. 8) I believe that family was really glad you payed them a visit.
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

Hello Victoria, Someone asked my question, about the teeth snapping, that Manny was doing. So just wanted to say Thank you for the great show Saturday.
I wished I was the person my dogs thinks I am.