Episode 209 - Weathering the Storm - March 13

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BoardHost
Site Admin

Episode 209 - Weathering the Storm - March 13

Post by BoardHost »

Victoria will chat live in this thread on Monday, March 15th at 9pm EST about the most recent episode of It's Me or the Dog, "Weathering the Storm."

In this episode, Victoria is called in to help Gail White and JB Carmichael with their pair of problem Papillons.
BoardHost
doggy style

Re: Episode 209 - Weathering the Storm - March 13

Post by doggy style »

When visiting a household for the first time do you know what kind of breed, or how many dogs your about to train or encounter? Are you at least prepped for your oncoming training? It seems like in your opening sequence you talk about the current problems that are situated with the dog, or dog's behaviors, yet when upon arrival you are suprised by the breed and number of dogs that run the house hold?
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

Victoria, Just wondering why you took the guest and dog out side to try to calm him to guest moving around? Why didn't you just do it in side? I think this was my favorite show next to the one with Stains. Have a good week.... :D Oh one other thing..what does the letters on the frout of your red VW mean? No big deal, I was just wondering.
I wished I was the person my dogs thinks I am.
thevelvetvampire

Post by thevelvetvampire »

I liked how you delt with the biting issues. However my problem is simular but not the same. I have a 6 month old doxie who bites.I dont know if hes just puppy mouthing or if hes being aggresive. He doesnt bite or snap at my vistors but he does snap at me and my daughter. It doesnt have to be fast hand movements there are times i just sit on the sofa and im under attack.Any advice would be helpfull.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

thevelvetvampire, I love your name, :lol: Please put your problem with your dog in the training forum, there are quite a few people who can answer this for you.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
sands904

Post by sands904 »

Victoria,

I just wanted to say I love your show and it has helped me immensely with my three dogs. I am even apprenticing under a behaviorist in my area to hopefully become one someday. My questions are about the body-wrap and thunderstorm cd you used in the episode.

What brand or where can you get the wrap? I have one dog who gets overly anxious in the car. I am working on trying to desensitize him to the car but it is going very slowly. Meanwhile he still has to ride in the car for trips to the vet, etc. He has been wearing a D.A.P. collar for over 3 months and I use the spray in his car seat also. Do you think wearing a body wrap in the car might help calm him on those necessary trips while we are still working through the training?

Do you have any more information about the thunderstorm cd? I have tried some sounds I found online but have not found one that is realistic enough for my dog to react the way he does during an actual storm. Could it be that he is reacting more to the other elements of the storm (ie: the static and pressure changes) and not the actual noise? He is very noise sensitive in our situations which we are working on.

Thank you so much for all the wonderful information you give on every show!

Stephanie
thayeso

Post by thayeso »

Victoria,

First, I have to tell you that you have a very pleasant, likable, and straightforward personality. I really enjoy watching your show and have learned a lot. Second, I noticed that you have applied different training techniques to same or similar problems. For example, on one episode you had the dogs trained to sit on a mat when the owner went to answer the door, and on a different episode you had the dog sit near the front door and used the wait command. Is it because the dogs are of different breeds? Third, do you personally develop/find new and different ways to implement positive training techniques? For example, the body wrap and the thunderstorm cd--Brilliant!!!

Thank you for all you do!!!
Tammy Hayes

I realized while watching the show that--Positive reinforcement is not just for dogs; they are for people too.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

sands904 wrote:Victoria,

What brand or where can you get the wrap?

Stephanie
we don't get this show in the UK yet but a body wrap is part of TTouch, I found it very good with Joe's fear of thunder and fireworks.

For TTouch the bandage is an Acer bandage but I use a horse's tail bandage, this is a photo of Joe demonstrating the Body Wrap, unfortunately I had the cross over under his tummy too far back which interferred with his toilet functions. :lol:

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
sands904

Post by sands904 »

Mattie wrote:
sands904 wrote:Victoria,

What brand or where can you get the wrap?

Stephanie
we don't get this show in the UK yet but a body wrap is part of TTouch, I found it very good with Joe's fear of thunder and fireworks.

For TTouch the bandage is an Acer bandage but I use a horse's tail bandage, this is a photo of Joe demonstrating the Body Wrap, unfortunately I had the cross over under his tummy too far back which interferred with his toilet functions. :lol:

Thanks Mattie! Yes, I am familiar with using an ace bandage for a body wrap and TTouch but the wrap Victoria used on this show looked similar to a harness that slid onto the dog and velcroed around them. It looked much easier to use in certain situations than the ace bandage.
Pol

Post by Pol »

Hi Victoria,

Great show as usual!
I was wondering on the subject of squeeky toys, why are some dogs scared and freaked out by them?

Thanks!
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

That was a very timely episode for me as the people across the street have just brought home
an adult male Chihuahua they allow to run free. He will charge at me from clear across the
street acting quite like Sunny in the latest episode. Now that the fear issues in this behavior
have been pointed out I can see them. I don't know what I can do to help him (and on this
street sadly I don't expect him to live very long, darting back and forth across the road), but
at least I can understand what he's saying. And I will refrain from stamping my feet and yelling
boogabooga at him as he dives for my ankles <G>

Are there any suggestions for dealing with this guy in the small increments of time in which
we cross paths? I suppose I could bombard him with treats, but I don't feel right feeding someone
elses dog without their permission, and sadly, there is a language barrier in communicating
with these neighbors.

I learn something every week. Thanks for sharing with us :)

Skye and the white merle collies
BoardHost
Site Admin

Apologies from Victoria

Post by BoardHost »

As many of you noticed, Victoria was unfortunately unable to attend last night's chat session about 'Weathering the Storm.' She will be answering questions regarding this episode now and apologizes for any inconvenience.

Thank you for your understanding.
BoardHost
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Hello everyone!

I'm so sorry I wasn't able to make it to last night's chat. Hopefully in the future, we won't run into this problem, and I look forward to chatting with you about this and future episodes here.

Thanks for your patience!
Victoria
Victoria
Site Admin

Re: Episode 209 - Weathing the Storm - March 13

Post by Victoria »

doggy style wrote:When visiting a household for the first time do you know what kind of breed, or how many dogs your about to train or encounter? Are you at least prepped for your oncoming training? It seems like in your opening sequence you talk about the current problems that are situated with the dog, or dog's behaviors, yet when upon arrival you are suprised by the breed and number of dogs that run the house hold?
Before each episode, I watch a 3-minute 'casting' DVD about the family and the general issues with their dogs. There is always more to each situation than meets the eye in that DVD, however, and I am almost always surprised by the extent of the situation once I am in the actual environment.

When I do the 'car scenes', I'm making general comments based on the basic info I've been given (Papillons causing mayhem among the family members) on my way to the family's house.
Victoria
Site Admin

Re: Episode 209 - Weathing the Storm - March 13

Post by Victoria »

mustlovdoggs wrote:Victoria, Just wondering why you took the guest and dog out side to try to calm him to guest moving around? Why didn't you just do it in side? I think this was my favorite show next to the one with Stains. Have a good week.... :D Oh one other thing..what does the letters on the frout of your red VW mean? No big deal, I was just wondering.
Hi, mustlovdoggs. Thanks for the kind words! I liked this episode as well. The license plate on the red VW bug in the show stands for 'Positive Reinforcement' - my overall guiding principles used in dog training. The plate says "+RNFCMNT" I think.

By taking the dog outside, it was easier to refocus the dog's mind. I did the training both inside and outside, as I needed to train her to cope in both environments.