Episode 203 - Great Dane Devotion - Jan 16

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

debitot

Re: Episode 203 - Great Dane Devotion - Jan 16

Post by debitot »

Dear Victoria,
I watch all your shows. when i'm not at home I record them. Thank you for all of your help to all of us pet owners. you are very gifted.
Debbie
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

There is a trainer in Atl.Ga
I wished I was the person my dogs thinks I am.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hello again Victoria!

I'm wondering: Even though there is a metal grill or bar between the front passenger seat and the back compartment of the vehicle, shouldn't dogs be seatbelted for their safety?
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Did you use a no-pull-harness on charlotte? I'm thinking you did because it looks exactly the same as my dog's. I need to get the exact definition a no-pull-harness because my mom keeps saying "HE'S STILL PULLING." So does it discourage pulling...i cant put it in words to describe to her.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

dontpugme wrote:Did you use a no-pull-harness on charlotte? I'm thinking you did because it looks exactly the same as my dog's. I need to get the exact definition a no-pull-harness because my mom keeps saying "HE'S STILL PULLING." So does it discourage pulling...i cant put it in words to describe to her.
Yes I did use a no pull harness.

No pull harnesses help to discourage a dog from pulling.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Thank you to everyone for joining us tonight! Next week, we may open the topic to post questions throughout the week. Stay tuned for updates, and see you next week!
Thepupstopshere

Post by Thepupstopshere »

Thank you Victoria!
Josh&Ashley

Post by Josh&Ashley »

Hello Victoria,

This is Josh from the show.

I just found this website today and I wanted to update you on our status. First off, thank you again for working with us. It was a great experience that Ashley and I will never forget.

Since you visited us, we lost Henry. Almost exactly a year to the date of filming, we had to put him to sleep. At just 2 1/2 years old, we lost our "first born son" to cancer on August 26, 2010. We were devastated, to say the least. We took him to the University of Georgia 3 times for the best treatment available, to no avail.

Shortly after, I found a breeder near Augusta, GA that had a litter of 12 Dane puppies. It took a TON of convincing to Ashley, but she finally permitted me to buy another black Dane puppy, almost identical to Henry. His name is George (King Henry could only be followed by another king - King George :lol: )

About 5 weeks passed and Ashley found 6 month old Dane that was in desperate need of rescue, Duke. He was recovering from a broken leg, or so we thought. I picked him up. He was an extremely loving little boy. Jackson, Charlotte, and new puppy George really hit it off with him. The next day, I took him to our vet and the Dr. told me to take him back! He knows us very well. He came to our house just a few weeks prior to put Henry to sleep. Apparently, Duke was full of genetic problems and would be cursed with a very short life and require extensive care. He belonged with an owner that could give him 100% of their attention. Not a couple that already 3 other dogs. Ashley was devastated again. She had immediately fallen in love with Duke.

I loaded him up and began the trip back to Augusta (very close to the breeder where George came from).

After saying goodbye to Duke, I decided to give George's breeder a call on a whim. Turns out, he had 1 girl puppy left! I knew this would be perfect.

I returned home that day with George's sister.... Sadie!

Fast forward to today: Jackson is doing great. Charlotte tore her ACL in her left leg and had to have surgery. She is doing just fine. She does walk with a very slight limp, but it doesnt slow her down one bit, she IS a wild one! The pups, George and Sadie are about 7 months old now. They are almost identical except that George outweighs Sadie by about 15-20 lbs. Our vet says they are the healthiest Danes he has ever seen!

Thanks again for all of your advice Victoria. We had to buy a bigger SUV (no suprise) and the first thing we did is transfer your doggy gate to it!
Josh&Ashley

Post by Josh&Ashley »

Thepupstopshere wrote:Hello Victoria~ I have three questions...

1. In your opinion, when already overwhelmed with two great danes, why would Ashley and Josh take in Charlotte?

2. Is the music you played on the CD one that you created for your own use or can it be bought somewhere?

3. Do you have nerves of steel? How are you able stay composed when a great dane is barking, literally, in your face?

Thank you. ~Nina
Nina,

Instead of Victoria answering question #1, how about you get it straight from the source?

We weren't overwhelmed with Jackson & Henry. In fact, it was quite peaceful with just the two of them. Charlotte kind of "tipped the scales" if you will. Once we brough her in the picture is when things really got hectic.

Ashley and I both REALLY love dogs, especially Great Danes. We are both blessed to be able to financially support many dogs, and to have the room that allows them ample space to run and play. If they made a car big enough, we would probably have 10 :P

I personally would prefer to have a lot of dogs, even if they aren't the best behaved, than to just have 1 or 2 that are exceptionally behaved. When we find a dog that fits our lifestyle and is in a desperate situation, how would you expect us to sleep at night if we didn't rescue him/her?
wickedhippy

Post by wickedhippy »

Josh&Ashley wrote:Hello Victoria,

I just found this website today and I wanted to update you on our status. First off, thank you again for working with us. It was a great experience that Ashley and I will never forget.

Since you visited us, we lost Henry. Almost exactly a year to the date of filming, we had to put him to sleep. At just 2 1/2 years old, we lost our "first born son" to cancer on August 26, 2010. We were devastated, to say the least. We took him to the University of Georgia 3 times for the best treatment available, to no avail.

Shortly after, I found a breeder near Augusta, GA that had a litter of 12 Dane puppies. It took a TON of convincing to Ashley, but she finally permitted me to buy another black Dane puppy, almost identical to Henry. His name is George (King Henry could only be followed by another king - King George :lol: )

About 5 weeks passed and Ashley found 6 month old Dane that was in desperate need of rescue, Duke. He was recovering from a broken leg, or so we thought. I picked him up. He was an extremely loving little boy. Jackson, Charlotte, and new puppy George really hit it off with him. The next day, I took him to our vet and the Dr. told me to take him back! He knows us very well. He came to our house just a few weeks prior to put Henry to sleep. Apparently, Duke was full of genetic problems and would be cursed with a very short life and require extensive care. He belonged with an owner that could give him 100% of their attention. Not a couple that already 3 other dogs. Ashley was devastated again. She had immediately fallen in love with Duke.

I loaded him up and began the trip back to Augusta (very close to the breeder where George came from).

After saying goodbye to Duke, I decided to give George's breeder a call on a whim. Turns out, he had 1 girl puppy left! I knew this would be perfect.

I returned home that day with George's sister.... Sadie!

Fast forward to today: Jackson is doing great. Charlotte tore her ACL in her left leg and had to have surgery. She is doing just fine. She does walk with a very slight limp, but it doesnt slow her down one bit, she IS a wild one! The pups, George and Sadie are about 7 months old now. They are almost identical except that George outweighs Sadie by about 15-20 lbs. Our vet says they are the healthiest Danes he has ever seen!

Thanks again for all of your advice Victoria. We had to buy a bigger SUV (no suprise) and the first thing we did is transfer your doggy gate to it!

Your episode is one of my favorites!! I wish more owners would find this place and let us know how they are doing. So sorry about Henry. :( And continuous good luck with the rest of your dogs.
"If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies" ~ Anonymous
Creator of the We Love Victoria Stilwell Fan Site http://victoriastilwellfans.webs.com/
leslie123

Post by leslie123 »

Josh&Ashley wrote:Hello Victoria,

I'm so sorry to hear about the early loss of Henry. :( I love Danes too, and even a full lifespan is never long enough with these loving gentle giants. I'd love to see some current photos of the family! How are Georgie and Sadie doing on the leash, was it so much easier since you had Victoria training under your belt? Its great to see you posting updates on the board, I wish more lucky people from past episodes would do so. All the best to you, Ashley and "the kids"!