Episode 201 - The Berry Bunch - Jan 2

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

love_cheewawas

Re: Episode 201 - The Berry Bunch - Jan 2

Post by love_cheewawas »

Victoria, My boxer does not socialize well with other dogs, though he loves my other two Chihuahua's. He seems very insecure when meetng new dogs, and lunges at them, as well as growls sometimes. Do you think teaching him a word like "friend" and saying it upon meeting new dogs would help?

Thanks,
Ashleigh aka love_cheewawas
Jenna33

Re: Victoria to host weekly live chats here

Post by Jenna33 »

Hi Victoria,
Great season opener!! I recently adopted a 3 year old Boxer who is very timid. He is afraid of everything although he is very sweet and does not growl or bark, he just runs away and will not go near anyone. Even after he has met people several times he shies away. How can I make him feel more confident and secure?

Thank you,
Jenna
EADGBE

Post by EADGBE »

Hi Victoria.
Love the show.
What do you think is the biggest mistake dog owners make?
bellepearle

Post by bellepearle »

Hi Victoria,
My 2 year old female toy poodle has severe separation anxiety. It's so bad that when we are in the car with her and someone gets out to do an errand and she's NOT by herself, she still cries and carries on. How can we help her with this? Also, she has a fear of anyone approaching the cars. When we are at the gas station or in a drive-thru, she will bark and growl at anyone outside/around the car. It's stressful and embarrassing. Please help!

Lindsay
kidrn

Post by kidrn »

it was good to see you get a little tough with the dad last night. i had a feeling that he
"talks the talk" but doesn't always follow through..esp when he tried that face holding move on the dog...
you handled your frustration with him pretty well. better than i would have!!!
AdoptDontShop

Post by AdoptDontShop »

Hi Victoria,
I missed the episode last night, but I have question that is related to it.
How do you know if a dog is expressing jealousy towards another dog when they are "playing"? Would it look like rough housing or would it be like a fight? Or would it look like they weren't getting along, or something else?

Thanks in advance!!
lalalen03

Post by lalalen03 »

Victoria!

I love your show and watch it faithfully. I've learned so much from you.

My question is from my mom, who recently adopted a lab mix from the Humane Society. Her name is Chloe and she is a/b 8 months old. We've been to basic training class and she has picked up on everything SO well. She is very focused. She has mastered the 'leave it' command very well, but the only place we still have a problem is in the kitchen when cooking. For some reason she understands not to go after food when we are eating, but when we are cooking she seems to think its fair game... and doesn't really respond to 'leave it.' What are you suggestions?

Thanks so much- good luck with everything.
Lauren
kidrn

Post by kidrn »

i adpoted a second toy poodle exactly the wrong way that you cautioned against..she was probably a puppy mill breeder, and was soooo sad and pathetic, i fostered her for a wek, and when she began to respond, begged to keep her. we already had a much older, blind, toy poodle..(we adopted her @age 10, almost blind) who was very mellow, but definitely NOT pleased with our new addition. fortunately, they now get along, almost 6 months later. the thing is, the older one was very sedate and calm, now, if ruby the younger dog is barking and jumping up and down, PENNY joins in!!! it's nice to se penny show some spunk, but i worry about her safety..she will blindly jump off the bed to follow ruby, and if i close the door between them, BOTH dogs get upset, and penny jumps off the bed, anyway. they have dog beds on the floor, but penny has always slept on our bed, and iy didn't seem fair to keep ruby off, esp since she was probably in a cage all of her prior life. i'm just worried about penny jumping around so much.
moniquemorton

Post by moniquemorton »

Hi Victoria!! Love your show! You have so much talent with dogs! Is there some skill to learn to be more sensitive to our dogs? I've got a toy manchester terrier, I've been told he's super sensitive!
Selien

Post by Selien »

Hi Victoria! Firstly, I'd like to say that I think you're heaven-sent. You are amazing and I love your show. We recently got a German Shepherd puppy. He turned 3 months today and his name is Neo. He's a bundle of joy for us, and he already knows the basic command like sit, stay, come, and down. I know that recall will take a while since he is still young and prone to distractions. Our only problem is that he is mouthing and we do the high yelp, but it doesn't seem to be working. Plus, I'm not really sure when will be a good time to stop feeding him. Also, do you have any advice for us so that we can keep our cool around our pets? Thank you so much.
blukey1927

Post by blukey1927 »

Hi Victoria,
I am sorry if this posted more than once. My husband and I have a 3 year old St. Bernard/ Bull Mastiff mix named Danica. We had her spayed 4 months ago. She has a very similar problem to Oscar. She is very dominant/aggressive with other dogs. We can't have her out at the same time as other dogs, we can't try to take her to a dog park, and she even barks/growls at dogs walking down the street in front of our house. Is there hope for her? What would you recommend?

Thanks,

Becky
deiganp

Post by deiganp »

Hi Victoria, my 12 year old female lab barks and whines incessantly. She just looks at us and whines and barks. We know she is going deaf, and she has cancer (that has been treated but at this point there is no more we can do). She still eats well, is playful sometimes, and seems otherwise fine. I feel like it is a behavior thing, not a health thing. Before I knew she was sick, I brought in a new puppy--a female Westie, who is now a year old. Is she jealous?

I love your show. My westie pup watches too!
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hello Victoria!

I saw the new episode with the "Berry Family" last night, and all I can say is "WOW!" The reason I say this is that I'm still having some problems with my Akita. When I first got her, she got along with my other dog and my brother's cat, but when I took her out for walks, she would get along with most of my neighbors' dogs. Here is the clincher: When we're walking and see other dogs, she goes into "attack mode" and I don't mean a fight either, I mean she goes in for the kill! I will tell her to "leave it" and go to another direction away from the other dog, and believe me, this is no easy task with a 85-pound, muscular dog! My questions are 1) What is causing my dog to do this? and 2) What other ways can I do to get her to stop lunging at other dogs?
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
skymoon

Post by skymoon »

I missed last night's episode :(

Hi Victoria, and other users!

I have a Pin Tzu (Min Pin/Shih Tzu) mix, he will be 6 months old on the 9th of this month. I live in Boston and the winter is pretty bitter, my question is, can I take my puppy out for walks still? is it safe for him? (he wears sweater, coat and boots) he shivers and wants to go inside the house, he is house trained (he does not want to go potty outside when it's this cold).....Please help!

you can see his pictures here: www.the-puppy-diaries.onsugar.com

thanks in advanced!!
MurphsMom73

Post by MurphsMom73 »

Victoria...no matter how hard I try to make my dog not bark at everything that passes down our street, he won't stop...it's driving us all crazy..not to mention sometimes it catches us off guard, and we nearly jump out of our skins. HELP!! Nikki