Episode 201 - The Berry Bunch - Jan 2

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MurphsMom73

Re: Episode 201 - The Berry Bunch - Jan 2

Post by MurphsMom73 »

Victoria...no matter how hard I try to make my dog not bark at everything that passes down our street, he won't stop...it's driving us all crazy..not to mention sometimes it catches us off guard, and we nearly jump out of our skins. HELP!! Nikki
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Thanks to all of you who wrote in. I'm sorry I can't answer all your questions. The chat is over now but I will be here same time, same place next Sunday. Watch next week's episode on Animal Planet - Sat at 9pm. You will not believe what you see and there will defintely be a lot to talk about. Thanks for all your support x
moniquemorton

Post by moniquemorton »

Greetings from Atlanta! Victoria, you really do make a difference for us all in helping us communicate to our dogs!!! Thank you! I watched the Cooper episode and noticed the sharp noise you made and you explained that you were diverting Cooper's attention from his behavior you were trying to change and also getting him to pay attention to you. I've been making a point to do that with my dog. He has gotten to be pretty aggressive for some reason later in his life when he doesn't want to do certain things, like wne I need to trim his nails, give him a bath, etc. It's the only thing that I've heard that makes sense! many thanks for your show!!!!!

Best, Monique and Aubie
Selien

Post by Selien »

Hi Victoria!

I missed the new episode last night but I'm hoping I'll get to see it at my parents' house Tivo! I love your show. I recently got one of your books too and it helped us a lot with our 3 month old German Shepherd, Neo. My question is, what other method will work if he's mouthing already and yelping doesn't help? How so I get him from chewing on my clothes? I just want to make sure that we're raising him properly so that he doesn't become aggressive. Is playing tug safe? Thanks.
kimb123

Post by kimb123 »

Hi, Victoria!
I watched your show! I'm so amazed that you handled the situation well when the dad wasn't paying attention. I'm looking forward to the next show! I have one qusetion. What treats do you like to use? We have a great Dane who loves to lunge at other dogs when we are out fr a walk, and chicken does not help distract him. We use a gentle leader but he is too strong. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

I know Victoria isn't here right now, but i wanted to say that i loved her shoes in this episode!
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Dontpugme - that is a really random thought, but I noticed her shoes, too! Probably because in the UK series she was always wearing those knee-high black boots.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

I loved those boots too!...haha :lol:
jjphoenix

Post by jjphoenix »

pookieleigh06 wrote:Hi Victoria,
I accidently posted this in the wrong place once but I need some good advice regarding one of my dogs. He is starting to show very bad biting aggression towards my 10 yr old son, myself and our other dog. I am a vet tech but cannot seem to figure out how to stop this without using medication. Tried ACE and it made him more aggressive. His background is as follows. Found in the mouth of another dog at about a week and a half old. He is the only survivor from that day (mom and siblings gone). Mom was a short shepherd/chow, and dad was a full blood beagle. During his first few months we fought both types of mange. He will be two in april. Last Feb he apparently ate something outside and had a bad reaction. Full body edema, eyes swollen shut basically a huge mess. Found nothing to help us figure out what was wrong in this blood work results. To this day we still have no idea. Past few months he has become really aggressive mainly towards my son, myself and my airedale. It is scary since he has bitten us fairly bad (yes er trips). A couple triggers I have been able to pinpoint are brushing and trimming nails. He goes crazy even with proper restraint and a good muzzle. I also follow the 20 second rule in regards to punishing him with a time out in his crate away from everyone. Any advice????????????? Thank you so much I adore watching your methods.
Michelle
When is it that he bites apart from the brushing and trimming nails? the brushing and trimming nails sounds more like fear and him beinf uncomforatable, which is an emotional reaction and one that he shouldnt be being punished for, if he is being punished for it then its going to reinforce that its a bad thing. It sounds very familiar to the dog on this episode

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/its- ... od#2921532

Series 4 | Episode 10 - It's Me or the Dog
money can buy a dog but only love will wags its tail - DEED NOT BREED
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Punishing a dog by using his crate is a bad bad idea, unless of course you NEVER want to crate him whilst you are gone... I guess then if the crate is only ever used for time outs thats not a problem.

In any case, punishing aggression like this is totally pointless, at the very BEST you will achieve nothing, at worst there could be some more or new unpleasant side effects following punishments that are not understood.

Aggression is here, a result of fear (as it usually is) you cannot punish a dog for being fearful! You must find out what the dog is fearful of, and change the association so the dog no longer fears whatever, but finds it rewarding!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant