6 dogs that are never walked

Discussion of specific It's Me or the Dog episodes.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lauram

6 dogs that are never walked

Post by Lauram »

This is a repeat on in the Uk, watching right now

O MY GOD, this episode made me furious.

6 dogs squashed in a small house and NEVER WALKED!!!! Utter madness!! Never taken out and stacked in crates on top of each other and fed rubbish.

I know that maybe I shouldn't be judgemental but how many excuses can one woman make for being lazy. selfish and irresponsible.

"its to hot too walk" They live in the UK, not exactly the hottest place on earth. Get out of bed!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Username

Re: 6 dogs that are never walked

Post by Username »

I agree totally.

Perhaps lazy, selfish and irresponsible are better words to use than I have on the other thread.

The thing that annoys me the most, is that she kept taking on more dogs when she was unable (perhaps unwilling) to walk the dogs she already owned.

My jaw literally dropped the first time I saw this episode when Victoria said "How often do you walk them?" and the reply was "No, no I can't take them for a walk".

I am, for want of a better description, a big fat lad that hadn't really done much exercise for over 10 years. Before I took on my dog I knew he needed regular exercise, and that's exactly what he gets (perhaps too much :oops: ). I don't deserve praise for it. It's what dog ownership entails as a minimum requirement along with feeding 'em, which she was doing a terrible job of by all accounts.

To see an able bodied woman with 6 dogs say she can't walk them was truly astonishing to me. I don't remember her even offering an explanation as to why she wasn't able to take them out?
Lauram

Post by Lauram »

I didn't see the other thread

Yes that episode really wound me up, don't normally get that mad but having a multi dog household and knowing how much excercise is required just to keep things sane, that woman really made me mad. I think people can be forgiven for a lot of bad things with dogs, feeding is an utter mine field, we live in a society where soo many people don't understand how to feed themselves so why would they understand how to feed a dog?

Not knowing about toilet training or not being able to cope with the requirements of highly energetic and intelligent can perhaps be forgiven because you don't always know what you get when you buy a puppy, I get that. I can even at a push understand how "Teddy Pom pom" forced a grown man out of his bed. BUT to not walk or excercise a dog in any way is utterly unforgiveable, any of the TV dog shows, even the ones that show dominance based training stress the need the excercise. Excercise before everything else and to see that woman with her dogs caged on top of each other made me see red.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Exercise means different things to different people, many people thing letting a dog out into the back garden for 10 minutes is exercise. I haven't seen the program so can't comment on this person but I do see people like this who think they are giving their dogs what they need and are shocked when they find they are not.

I remember a few years ago the RSPCA went into a home, there were 95 dogs all in crates in poor condition, when the full story came out the lady who had these dogs had been well know in dog rescue at one time and saved many dogs lives. She had so many dogs because she couldn't get them into rescue places, they were all full so she was left with them on her hands. She became ill and was taken into hospital which was how this was found out, up to then the dogs were fed properly and were let out of the crates but in hospital she had no control of it and the people who were supposed to be caring for the dogs didn't do what they should.

The obvious may not be the full story, we only get told what others want us to know, the same with any dog program on the TV.

I remember not so long ago a certain person on tv turning dogs around was working with a dog that would jump up at the window and bark, jump etc as dogs do. Suddenly the dog would jump down and walk away from the window. What we couldn't see was the dog had a shock collar on, the remote was being hidden by the trainer and he was shocking the dog to stop him jumping at the window.

Our brains don't always interprete the messages our eyes are sending.

I could go on with more but won't, off for a coffee now, I need my cafine fix. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Username

Post by Username »

Mattie wrote: I haven't seen the program so can't comment on this person
I find it amazing you managed to defend this woman so vigorously on the other thread, and state as a fact that my upbringing was more privileged than hers and you've not even seen the episode! You think I'm a know it all?

Perhaps if you watch the episode you will see why it's so contentious. You can watch it here:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/its- ... od#2925232

Like Lauram and yourself have said, most things are forgivable. I know that we are not born with all the knowledge we need to care for a pet and it's a big learning curve, but to give your dogs literally no exercise is unforgivable, bordering on abuse.

I understand that editing can make a situation seem much more dramatic than it is, but in this episode that wasn't the case. She simply asked how often they are walked and lady said she couldn't take them for a walk.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Username your continuing attacks is not doing you any favours, in fact just the oposite, it isn't showing you in a very good light.

You completely miss my posts on here and on the other thread, DON'T JUDGE OTHERS UNLESS YOU KNOW THE FULL FACTS.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Username

Post by Username »

Mattie wrote: DON'T JUDGE OTHERS UNLESS YOU KNOW THE FULL FACTS.
Quite, try following your own advice. There have been no continuing "attacks" at all. I simply agreed with another member. I did say in the other thread that I was happy to put this behind us, but you keep pushing it.

You were never in possession of ANY FACTS WHATSOEVER when you decided that I had a more privileged upbringing than someone else, yet you stated that as a FACT. You hadn't even seen the episode and had seen 4 posts from me :roll: .

You have been incredibly blinkered when interacting with me. Being in an environment where you are well respected and have good friends does not mean that you are always right. Many people have expressed the same view of the lady with 6 dogs (YOU HAVEN'T EVEN WATCHED IT), yet you have chosen to attempt to bully me into submission and failed miserably. You are no better than a schoolyard bully within a pack of friends, and perhaps if you take a step back and re-read your posts (that I will add have upset people to the point of leaving this board before) with an OPEN mind you will see what I'm talking about. I know you won't as you seem to be too narrow-minded.

I imagine that should Victoria read this board she would be ashamed of you. You have no time for other people's opinions or beliefs, not only mine but others that have posted on this forum before me.

Considering this forum is called "positively.com", you have been incredibly negative, and discouraged people from becoming part of a helpful community. I hope you're proud.

PS I fully expect my posts to be removed as I have disagreed with the Führer.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Username, will you please stop firing up threads? I read the other thread and managed to turn my back on it because I really can do without arguing right now, but it is very frustrating to read a reasonable discussion and then come across a post from you that is either having a go at Mattie or just downright rude about people you know nothing about. As Mattie has said in the past, people who go on the show take a big risk, its not easy opening yourself up for the whole world to see what you are doing wrong, but they do it because they recognise something isn't right and want to change.

I was very upset when you used the word "dumb" before as "simply meaning someone of lesser intelligence" - that is just wrong, we are not all born equal and if you recognise that people are maybe not as bright as you then how can you then go on to attack them for being stupid? We all make mistakes, you have made mistakes with your puppy, yet you still go on attacking other's who make more effort to understand others than you seem to do.

Yes, not giving a dog exercise is not how most of us would keep a dog, and indeed probably not the best for them, but giving them too much exercise can be just as harmful, but you didn't research that did you? To me it is common sense to exercise puppies in small amounts, but that is because I am trained in paediatric development and how it affects the skeleton, so if I didn't know it then I shouldn't be doing my job. Does it make you stupid that you didn't know that? No. It just means you didn't know. And in this day and age when many people don't give THEMSELVES enough exercise, is it really any surprise that there are dogs who don't get out as much as they should? In my village alone there are several dogs I know exist but hardly ever see them out walking, not because their owners are ignorant or of power intelligence, but because that is simply how they see a dog's position in the world - they are very traditional, and dogs are expected to just fit in. It is a strong minority of owners who recognise the benefit or even want to improve their dog's life by walking and training, but by using this forum we can all help to open people's eyes.

And to be honest, I don't think no exercise is really the worst you could do to a dog - those of us who have rescues know that hitting, starving, or mental cruelty can be far worse forms of abuse but not as obvious. And many of us simply can't walk our dogs until we have managed to overcome other issues. I for one didn't walk for a couple of periods, one because the outside world was simply too stressful as that point, and secondly because the walking was damaging my dog physically. Both good reasons, but does that mean I abused my dog? I think not. Many many rescue centres have dogs who get very little walking because they are simply too busy keeping them safe and alive and exercise comes very low down on the priorities.

Try seeing it from other points of view, stop attacking Mattie for the sake of it, and try listening to the underlying message, and just see what else you can learn. If you have no interest in learning and widening your ideas, but only in putting down people who do things differently to you, then maybe you have come to the wrong place. :?
Username

Post by Username »

Horace's Mum wrote:Username, will you please stop firing up threads? I read the other thread and managed to turn my back on it because I really can do without arguing right now, but it is very frustrating to read a reasonable discussion and then come across a post from you that is either having a go at Mattie or just downright rude about people you know nothing about. As Mattie has said in the past, people who go on the show take a big risk, its not easy opening yourself up for the whole world to see what you are doing wrong, but they do it because they recognise something isn't right and want to change.

I was very upset when you used the word "dumb" before as "simply meaning someone of lesser intelligence" - that is just wrong, we are not all born equal and if you recognise that people are maybe not as bright as you then how can you then go on to attack them for being stupid? We all make mistakes, you have made mistakes with your puppy, yet you still go on attacking other's who make more effort to understand others than you seem to do.

Yes, not giving a dog exercise is not how most of us would keep a dog, and indeed probably not the best for them, but giving them too much exercise can be just as harmful, but you didn't research that did you? To me it is common sense to exercise puppies in small amounts, but that is because I am trained in paediatric development and how it affects the skeleton, so if I didn't know it then I shouldn't be doing my job. Does it make you stupid that you didn't know that? No. It just means you didn't know. And in this day and age when many people don't give THEMSELVES enough exercise, is it really any surprise that there are dogs who don't get out as much as they should? In my village alone there are several dogs I know exist but hardly ever see them out walking, not because their owners are ignorant or of power intelligence, but because that is simply how they see a dog's position in the world - they are very traditional, and dogs are expected to just fit in. It is a strong minority of owners who recognise the benefit or even want to improve their dog's life by walking and training, but by using this forum we can all help to open people's eyes.

And to be honest, I don't think no exercise is really the worst you could do to a dog - those of us who have rescues know that hitting, starving, or mental cruelty can be far worse forms of abuse but not as obvious. And many of us simply can't walk our dogs until we have managed to overcome other issues. I for one didn't walk for a couple of periods, one because the outside world was simply too stressful as that point, and secondly because the walking was damaging my dog physically. Both good reasons, but does that mean I abused my dog? I think not. Many many rescue centres have dogs who get very little walking because they are simply too busy keeping them safe and alive and exercise comes very low down on the priorities.

Try seeing it from other points of view, stop attacking Mattie for the sake of it, and try listening to the underlying message, and just see what else you can learn. If you have no interest in learning and widening your ideas, but only in putting down people who do things differently to you, then maybe you have come to the wrong place. :?
I would just like to point out a few things.

Firstly, I conceded that the terminology I used in the other thread was a little harsh. I'm able to admit my own misdemeanors unlike some. I'm also able to take a step back from a situation and evaluate it as an outsider.

Secondly, the only reason I've have carried on replying to the All Knowing Mattie is that one of my pet hates is hypocrisy, and like you I couldn't help but respond to it. For Mattie it's perfectly acceptable to call me "dumb", "nasty" and "privileged", and I'm not allowed to riposte because I'm new here? Mattie is allowed to make judgments not only on me, but the life I have led without being in possession of any facts whatsoever, and post her presumptions as facts. Surely you can see the double standards there? It's not just me Mattie has attempted to bully after all is it? You said "try seeing it from other points of view". I believe I have done and admitted that my other thread was not exactly bang on the money, but I asked Mattie to try and see it from my point of view which was not forthcoming. I am not here to be a menace, but I have the right to defend myself against hypocrisy. There have been several other posters that were appalled at the episode I was referring to, but Mattie decided that I should be singled out for abuse, without even having watched the episode in question.

I agree that it is the correct attitude for people to take to ask for Victoria's help. I also agree that it does show a lot of character to do that. At no point have I proclaimed to be an expert, quite the contrary in fact. I'm sure the majority of posters on here have more experience with dogs than myself.

As I have said, I'm happy to put this behind us. Online communities can be of benefit to everyone, and I'm sure I could learn a great deal here and hopefully share my experiences with others looking for help. I am not a nasty person, I am a well respected member on forums of other genres and have seen only too often how n00bs can be set upon by a close group for only the slightest of errors. Most flounce, but the ones that don't tend to become excellent contributors.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Ok, one last point then. I don't believe Mattie actually called you any names, and privilege is not always about money or situations - it is about opportunity. I know many people who come from a very "under privileged" society, are not the brightest spark in the book, have very little money and have had a poor education, any or all of the above, but because of WHO they are they try their best to learn and accept their frequent mistakes, which may be made again and again until they are learnt. I also know people from these backgrounds who are fantastic with animals etc, just because it makes sense to them - they have the "common sense" where many people of higher intelligence think far too hard about it and have lost that innate sense.

And looking back on very old posts to see who has upset who in the past really isn't useful to anyone except people who want something to fan the flames with. I believe that although there were other posters who thought the episode was shocking, they didn't choose to put down the owners, they were referring to the incident rather than the people. We all get surprised at the things other people get up to, but there are ways of expressing that without being personal to the people.

The reason I felt the need to post was that I had chosen to stop reading the other thread because I have not got the patience to deal with it right now, I want to come on here and enjoy it, but then I read another thread to find the same thing happening. Can we all just try to keep this the happy place it usually is please? :D
Username

Post by Username »

Horace's Mum wrote:Ok, one last point then. I don't believe Mattie actually called you any names,
I don't write just anything in quote marks. I shall refrain from going into the other thread to prove it. I have not said privilege or background have anything to do with intelligence or common sense. In fact I said I believe upbringing and intelligence have no connection, it's Mattie that started throwing accusations around about upbringing.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Quit fighting - or I lock the thread.

Yes, it can seem really obvious to us what is wrong - it clearly ISNT obvious to the owners or they would be doing things differently.

If owners didnt go on the show, there woudl BE no show, so as infuriating as it might be to see peoples ignorance, and to know better - please consider the words you use on the forums. Familys/individuals who have appeared on the show HAVE joined the forum in the past and I would like it to be a place they can join in the future too.

Username - I already asked you to temper your words/opinions on the other thread, please will you do as I asked there.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Don't worry Em, I am not reading her posts any more, I am far too busy to waste my time any more. :D