Last night's new episode--pool party

Discussion of specific It's Me or the Dog episodes.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

maximoo

Last night's new episode--pool party

Post by maximoo »

What do you all think of the new episode and the 3 dogs? One didn't seem to have much of a problem. Those owners had some serious communication issues as well as 2 totally different points of view. Truthfully I did not like those two.

Anyway, it was good that she got them to forget about the zap mat.
Why is it that the dogs always seem to learn so fast on IMOTD? I know that alot has to be cut/edited but they still seems to learn back/wait in a very short time. Doesn't seem quite realistic. :P

It was a little unclear if owners con't to have hydrotherapy lady come & do therapy with the lab. And how would she be paid? VS brought her there. I wonder if there was some sort of agreement that she would treat that dog in exchange for the publicity? Nothing wrong with that, but most people can't afford private therapy for their dogs. There was also no mention when/if dog would get surgery for his knee.

Exactly how long does VS observe, a few hours, most of the day? And how long does she actually train the dogs and work with owners? It seems like its just 1 day, then she returns to reinforce/re-teach is that for another day or just a few hours?

I felt the 12 yo girl could've had some instruction in helping train the lab too.

The whole ep didn't seem to run as smoothly as it usually does.--seemed choppy. I didn't feel as satisfied as I normally do. At the end a basket of goodies appears but no mention of Petsmart like in previous eps. :D

I am glad to have some new episodes now. :)

Any other thoughts or opinions?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Hopefully some more US based folks will come along..

Im dying to see the new series but it might be a while before it arrives in the UK!
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

I think there were so many serious problems in that household, most of them directly related to the owners' attitude, that VS had to hit the high points and not give as much attention to individual problems as she normally would.

Also, I would think that she gages her recommendations to what the family can afford to continue doing going forward, and this particular family is going to have no problem at all paying for whatever Guinness and the other dogs need.

These were people who couldn't see that Guinness was panicking in the water. These were people who were totally cool with the fact that all three of their dogs were afraid to come back in the house through the front door because of the shock mat--even though they recognized (but did not want to admit) that it was not really working for its intended purpose--keeping them from going out the door when they were really excited.

These were people who knew Guinness had an ACL tear and hip dysplasia, and hadn't gotten him any treatment for it.

One of them wanted VS to say, "Yes, your oldest dog needs to be killed," and the other one didn't want to admit that that oldest dog needed much better management.

I do think that back/wait is a very easy thing to teach any dog that doesn't think it's supposed to be in charge; it's just that too many people don't put any effort into it at all.

Lis