Make Room for Baby

Discussion of specific It's Me or the Dog episodes.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ladyadaklucy

Make Room for Baby

Post by ladyadaklucy »

I saw your episode and I am curious about the rice and carrot diet supplement. Specifically the ratio of rice to carrots, and the preparation of both. Currently our dogs are fed all natural food and it is both carefully prepared and measured based on weight and activity level of each dog.

We have a 6 month old well manner Husky that suffers Separation Anxiety when we leave. This is a great natural option.

Any other advice on SA would be appreciated.
jessthov2006

Post by jessthov2006 »

I'm going to refer you to this post http://www.victoriastilwell.com/phpBB2/ ... php?t=3588 regarding the carrots and rice. The same episode and topic is discussed there.

Can you elaborate on your dogs' diet? All natural means different things to different people.

As for seperation anxiety you need to look at your entire leaving routine, and figure out at which point in your routine the dog starts getting anxious. Does he start pacing when you put your shoes on? Hide when you get the shower? etc. Once you figure that out you can change up your routine and desenitize those cues. For example put your shoes on and sit down. And go through your leaving routine without actually leaving.

Exercise and mental stimulation are also important. If your dog is tired he has less energy to be anxious with. Clicker training is a good mental workout.
Smillin'Sammy

Post by Smillin'Sammy »

jessthov2006 wrote:I'm going to refer you to this post http://www.victoriastilwell.com/phpBB2/ ... php?t=3588 regarding the carrots and rice. The same episode and topic is discussed there.

Can you elaborate on your dogs' diet? All natural means different things to different people.

As for seperation anxiety you need to look at your entire leaving routine, and figure out at which point in your routine the dog starts getting anxious. Does he start pacing when you put your shoes on? Hide when you get the shower? etc. Once you figure that out you can change up your routine and desenitize those cues. For example put your shoes on and sit down. And go through your leaving routine without actually leaving.

Exercise and mental stimulation are also important. If your dog is tired he has less energy to be anxious with. Clicker training is a good mental workout.
In addition, I'd like to add that this works, but slowly. Leave the house and come back in extending time periods, but if he grows anxious at any point, go back to the interval before, and keep going. It's not a quick-cure, you have to slowly extend the time he can be left alone.

Good post jess, just thought I'd add a little more. :)