pit bull predicament

Discussion of specific It's Me or the Dog episodes.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Maxy24

pit bull predicament

Post by Maxy24 »

I just wanted to say that I thought last night's episode "Pit Bull Predicament" was very good. I think the dogs did great, especially with the door training. I also wanted to thank Victoria for doing a wonderful job explaining the inherent dog aggression in pit bulls, that many do have. You explained that it is because of their years of being fought and explained that it is not something that can be cured but can be managed. Thank you!

The owner also seemed very dedicated to his dogs and during training seemed to remain calm and not get too upset with the dogs, I hope he keeps up the training!
totallypitcrazy

Post by totallypitcrazy »

While I did enjoy this show and the positive light she brought to Pit Bulls.

I am upset at the fact she did not recommend crate training (which I am aware she is against)

However with this breed it is not ever recommend you let a Pit Bull unsupervised with any other dog.

This poor guy has a tore up home and one day will come home to a dead dog. Does not matter who long they have lived together, how well they get along. There could be a fight.

This guy is trying his best with his dogs but he is still being set up to fail by not recommending a crate for the dogs safety. The house won't be chewed and there wont' be a dead dog someday.

I am an owner of 5 Pit Bulls they are never left alone together. I refuse to set my dogs up to fail. Their crates are their rooms and they are not hurt by having to go in them.
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

I completely agree, I did think about that while watching the show, you should never leave a pit bull (or any terrier) out unsupervised with another dog. I would not say she is entirely against crates, in an episode about three weeks ago she actually brought in two crates and taught the owners how to use them for two dogs who went to the bathroom all over the house. Generally however she does avoid them.

Even if the man put one dog in puppy-proof room and not a crate it would make things safer, but might not help with destructiveness.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

I can agree on the fact with crating the pitbull. I had two females that got along veryw ell. one day I came home and they have had a squabble, small punctures all oer the face..

Two weeks later I was home and they got into a fight where they almost killed one another. and they were really good friends. It was just the natural aggression that grew with the pitbulls age. They faught when the pit first came 10 something times, rather badly, bloody, after that they worked well for almst 2 years. The pit was almost three (she was 8 mnths when she came) when they had their last fight. If they pass age of five, then it's not as common however for it to occur if it hasn't by then. But I missed the age of this pit. However there is ALWAYS a risk with the pitbull..

I have one sleeping on th ebed right now.. I love her, she shares bones, food etc with other dogs no possession aggerssion nothing bad at all.

But she's only 2, and there is no way I can ever really be sure..
The problem is in the other end of the leash!
Mattie

Re:

Post by Mattie »

Only just seen this thread, Pit Bulls are wonderful dogs, I would love one but they are now illegal dogs in the UK.
totallypitcrazy wrote:While I did enjoy this show and the positive light she brought to Pit Bulls.

I am upset at the fact she did not recommend crate training (which I am aware she is against)
Why are you against crating dogs? A well trained dog doesn't need to be crated, although this breed is banned in the UK I live in an area where there are quite a lot of them, they are all friendly, well mannered dogs.
However with this breed it is not ever recommend you let a Pit Bull unsupervised with any other dog.

Rubbish, they are a dog, they are made aggressive by humans, yes they have been bred to fight dogs but brought up properly with training and good manners they are still a dog and behave like dogs. It is a case of know your dog, I know of other dogs I wouldn't dream of leaving them alone with another dog, none are Pit Bulls, I used to have one myself, she was 10ins high, Staffy/Cairn Terrier and it took a lot of work to turn her round.
This poor guy has a tore up home and one day will come home to a dead dog. Does not matter who long they have lived together, how well they get along. There could be a fight.

At the moment I come home to a torn up home, I have in the past with other dogs as well, none were Pit Bulls, this can happen to any dog, pedigree or mongrel.
This guy is trying his best with his dogs but he is still being set up to fail by not recommending a crate for the dogs safety. The house won't be chewed and there wont' be a dead dog someday.
He may be trying his best but failing or Victoria wouldn't have been working with him, this has nothing to do with the breed of dog.
I am an owner of 5 Pit Bulls they are never left alone together. I refuse to set my dogs up to fail. Their crates are their rooms and they are not hurt by having to go in them.
That is your choice, 5 dogs is different to 2, the more you have the more you have to manage your dogs. For someone who has Pit Bulls I am surprised at how prejudiced you are against them.

I used to know a lovely Pit Bull, he had been abused and was rescued by the riding school owner were I used to work, he was kept well away from the stables for the clients safety, very few people could go near him, I got on really well with him, used to walk him and found him to be quite obedient, he got on with the other 6 dogs there, he was confinded during the day but loose at night running with all the other dogs. If I didn't have my hubby to care for I would have taken him home with me.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
kylabear09

Re: pit bull predicament

Post by kylabear09 »

I currently have a Staffy and have been brought up with them. I have also owned a jack Russell. My Staffy, Kyla, is brilliant with other dogs, has no problem being off the lead with them, even though she has had an abusive past and is a generally nervous dog. My jack russell max I had from a pup, he was very obedient, easily trained and had a loving home. However, he was awful with other dogs, I had to really work hard on his aggression before his untimely death.

I think all dogs have aggressive tendencies and as expressed in previous posts it is just a case of know your dog!

P.S I loved this episode!!!!!
abbyneo

Re: pit bull predicament

Post by abbyneo »

I second everything that Mattie said. It's too bad that pit bulls get such a bad rap. Some of the sweetest dogs I've met have been this breed, and of course on the flip side, some of the nastiest dogs I've come across have been 10-pound Yorkies. It just goes to show that with the right training and treatment all kinds of dogs can be successful, regardless of breed.