Max the Gordon Setter?

Discussion of specific It's Me or the Dog episodes.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I think this has gone off track somewhat...

If as I understand it, the APRI are somwhat like the DLRC here in the uk (and im not sure they are, im using it as a comparison)..

The difference between the Kennel Club (uk) and the DLRC is this - the DRLC will register any breed or x breed and give you paperwork, ie a nice certificate with the animals supposed pedigree on it (pedigree meaning family tree, nothing more).

The Kennel Club (uk) offer you *some* assurance that your dog is a recognised breed and a traceable pedigree, ie all the ancestors were registered also. Only the breeder can register the puppies and you must provide the puppies parents registration details to do so.

Its not fool proof, but its better than nothing.

As I said previously in this thread, whilst its quite hard to define exactly why you should pick a dog registered with the official KC for that country (and yes its easier in the uk there is just one), its damn easy to define why you SHOULDNT go for one registered with one of the 'other' registrys..

These are set up, epecially in the case of the DLRC, as a way for puppy farmers and pet stores to sell 'registered' pups with 'paperwork' and make them look better than they really are.

Whether you want to show or not, buying a pup knowingly from a puppy mill, pet store etc ... has NOTHING to do with 'rescue' and EVERYTHING to do with lining the pockets of these people and the more people buy from them.... the more money there is in mass producing puppies, cutting corners to maximise profit and basically.. it is the dog who suffers, and if you 'rescue' one by buying it, you ensure the money and space for another one to be produced in its place.

There is, at the end of it iall, NO GOOD REASON.... not one, for a breeder to be producing puppies that cannot be registered with the official registry for that country (with the exception of purpose bred working animals such as lurchers for which no registry exists and nor should it tbh).

There are however plenty of bad reasons, they are not breeding health tested animals, they are not breeding animals that resemble the breed they are supposed to, they are breeding crossbreeds which have no working purpose (ie there are breeds that fulfill that purpose already), they are mass producing and selling to stores, they are breeding xbreeds and passing them off as recognised pedigree breeds.

Given that the prices for a well bred, well raised pup from a reputable breeder is actually very similar to the prices for a mass produced pup from a money grabbing puppy farmer - I think I know where MY money is going!

And 'mutt' is no insult - i have mutts and pedigrees and both are loved equally. Theres no difference in the health of either so silly blanket statements like all mutts can run rings round all pedigrees are just ridiculous.

If you do want to RESCUE an animal - do so from a shelter. Buying from a bad store or breeder is NOT and never will be, rescue.