1st American Episode

Discussion of specific It's Me or the Dog episodes.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ckranz

1st American Episode

Post by ckranz »

OMG, I thought I was watching Khan in terms of behavior when we started.

Today though was the first day in our CGC class. It was more of an orientation class, but seeing this episode brought back many memories of Khan.

I think I used about every exercise shown in the episode, excepting the whistle.

As far as the more aesthetic parts of the show. I like the new car. While I really like the british intro with the big sign, the new one also has its flare.
Holldenwolf

Bullenbeisser

Post by Holldenwolf »

I like this debut. That Boxer is a big dog. I've never seen a doggy diaper though [raising one eyebrow]

I agree with ckranz regarding the car - sweet ride

hmm. the term Boxer may be associated with it's stance whilst fighting but that is not what the German word "Bullenbeisser" means. Bullenbeisser in German translates to biter (beisser) of bulls (bullen, noun plural). I am an expert in Germanic languages. Also, the term may be associated with Dutch bullebak (monster, as bugbear) - just thouht that I would add to that trivia.

Great show Victoria! I just love this woman's soul.

Have a pleasant night - I'm off to watch some Penn State football :D
adlfelix

Post by adlfelix »

I love the new show and how it was an hour long...wasn't as rushed and really taught the viewers. This episode hit homes for us. Our English Springer Spaniel started acting just like the boxer at the age of two. We have been working with a trainer for almost a year and actually were taught the same tips as Victoria taught in the show. So what makes a dog all of a sudden get like this? For our dog it seems to be dogs on flexi leashes and pulling out of control toward us. A really good book I read was called Calming Signals...I learned so much.

Look forward to future episodes.

Andrea
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

I thought this was a GREAT episode, I know f so many people with dog reactive dogs so I'm sure this will be a great help to many, I also like how when Victoria re-visited she started working with Cooper on the balcony from a distance, it really showed how you need to work at your dog's pace and not push the dog, distance is very important as a few inches is the difference between a dog who is laying calmly and a dog who's lunging and flipping out. Keeping the dog at a distance where he is slightly aroused by the other dog, working until he is calm there and then moving forward again until he is slightly aroused and working until calm is a great way to desensitize.

I also loved that the show was an hour, they could show much more of the training Victoria did with the dogs and you got to see how the owners handled it when Victoria left. I hope in the future (maybe each season finale) they can revisit several dogs so you can see how things worked out, success stories, I'd love to see how Cooper turns out.
cassiesloveableowner

Post by cassiesloveableowner »

I loved this episode with cooper!!!!!!!!!! I thought Victoria did a fantastic job training him. But i also thought it was a littile confusing in the begining, seeing Victoria on the other side of the weel :mrgreen: I very much like the new logo and Victorias new wardrobe. All in all, great way to start of the new season. Well done Victoria!!!!!!!!

cassiesloveableowner
dobiemuse

Post by dobiemuse »

I liked the hour long format. I also hope that they do a "how are they doing now?" episode where they go back and see how they fared with the training.
puglvr

Post by puglvr »

I loved this new season!!!!! it waz everything i waz looking forward to! Defiantely loved that it waz an hour long. and the new car, SWEET!!!!! Waz it a mazerati, or a ferrari? Or either?
Congrats Victoria!!
K9S R GR8!

Pugs are like potato chips, you cant just have one!
cassiesloveableowner

Post by cassiesloveableowner »

puglvr

Victorias car is a corvette. :mrgreen:

cassiesloveableowner
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

I enjoyed it..

When I saw the show I was seeing Midnight all over... That is how he is, he was quite a bit worse when I got him.

I was hoping for a break through method, but the way she's working cooper is the way I have worked all along. I was hoping for something that would give me a little bit of a shortcut.

But it is like it is, only one way of dealing with fear, and that is condition it away and that takes time...

It was really good though, of course I laughed when they started arguing about who is doing what etc.. at least they really loved their dogs, that is more than you can say for many people I know over here...

and I LOVE the corvette!!

Moooo
The problem is in the other end of the leash!
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

Absolutely loved this episode ^-^

It's a good example of how difficult it can actually be to train a dog. The owners meant well, but either read his body language wrong or reacted in a manner that was threatening to Cooper. As with our relationships with other people, clear and effective communication is paramount in dealing with our dogs.

Plus, the collar grab is something I see a lot. I thought Victoria did a fantastic job of explaining why it only aggravates the situation, and I hope dog owners across the country saw this!

Holldenwolf, I too wondered about the trivia question. In my studies, it was suggested that the term Boxer came from "Boxl," a generic term the dogs were given in German slaughterhouses. I've never seen a Boxer try to "box" someone! :)

This was an excellent kickoff to what is sure to be an even more excellent season. Judging by clips from the introduction, we're going to see some... interesting clients, humans and dogs alike! Go go Victoria!! :mrgreen:
~J.C.
Future Groomer ^-^
adlfelix

Post by adlfelix »

Monkey,
I can't imagin your dog being worse. Bless you for not giving up on him. I never thought of it as low confidence...I just thought my dog was a bully. My dog PJ was attacked around the time I started to see these issues so we think this is the cause of it. With lots of practice we are doing well but we still have episodes.

Andrea
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

adl there has been days.. Trust me.. he is a foster however and if I don't find a suitable home there will only be one way left for the poor thing.

bullies are often insecure, a self secure dog is the dog that just lolls around, and don't really bother. I had a scared Great dane once and a couple had this extremly self secure gigantic male.. so we took a walk since mine was a real bully...

This other great dane, when my male snarled adn growled. He just stood still, head high, tail relaxed, perfectly still as a statue and refused to respond to my male. No hackle, no nothing...

He let my male sniff him through, and after that my male was CHANGED, he worshiped this male.. So that is the difference.. Those dogs don't come often however, most dogs have just as people strong side and weak sides..

Its up to us how they develop.. If your dog is a bully its usually cause it is a bit more than they can handle, intervein, relax him, and let him play again.. Take a habit of interviening BEFORE he reach that state.. and give him praise when playing nicely and do not correct him when he goes into bully mode. Handle it soft, calm and relax him with a cuddle moment or something similar... also try to choose friends that are calm that can teach him calm manners :)

This should decrease your episodes drasticly.. also not all dogs do like other dogs, it's in their genetics at times..

Good luck with your pooch, life would be nothing without them :)
The problem is in the other end of the leash!
Holldenwolf

to the very knowledgeable Yoshi

Post by Holldenwolf »

Hi Yoshi!

Excellent input regarding the term Boxl!!! That's new to me. I am an expert, albeit an erudite, of Germanic languages. I'm not omniscient but human lang's are one of my passions. Bullenbeisser would indicate modern English expression 'bull baiter", hence the usage of and lineage to the bulldog. Boxl, thanks for adding this, might indicate the box-like or square muzzle. That is common amongst European langs - to name things according to appearance or behaviour. I'm glad that you mentioned that term. I'll have to do some research in German and Dutch ...

lol. I've never seen one attempt to 'box' either. It would make more sense to have pointed out it's quick lunging attack like the punch of a boxer instead (even though that is still not the reason for the nomenclature.)

I am currently compiling a research assistant / search engine tool for pc's and have a large db about dogs. I have yet to research boxers but if you like, I'll add that info here whenever I complete my research. I also "fully" translate the English term into 30 languages. I mention Victoria in my product under canines > notable personalities > Victoria Stilwell

sneak peek: "she's clearly a diadem in the crown of the Primum Mobile"

anyway, I'll upload my final Boxer entry here incase you're interested.

Thanks for the wonderful tip Yoshi (I love that nickname - it reminds me of the Super Nintendo character)

Have a pleasant day,
Holldenwolf
Holldenwolf

Boxer etymology update

Post by Holldenwolf »

Hi Yoshi,

Just wanted to yield an update: I am correct in my etymology of the word Boxer - it is linked to Dutch dialect Bullebak which is just another term for bullenbijter (same as German Bullenbeisser).

As soon as I complete my research and etymological timelines I'll post my final entry here. Remember, I've been compiling this product over thirteen years so this is a special entry just for Victoria's forum. A sneak peak at my nonpareil product. It is ground breaking work indeed.

I'll keep you posted.
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

Hey Holldenwolf!

I acquired that info from Barron's Encyclopedia of Dog Breeds. It suggested that the term "Boxer" was derived either from that or the name "Bullenbiser." The book is from 2005, so I'll make a note of that. Thanks for the info, I'm all about learning new things. That's why I love watching Victoria :D

Also, yes, my board name comes from the Super Nintendo character. I used to go by Lightning Yoshi on other boards; once I took a regular picture and inverted the colors, making it into a pink "girl" Yoshi, and someone said it looked like lightning. It stuck with me for years. And yes, I'm a semi-retired gamer, haha!

Anyway, do keep me and the rest of us posted on your dog data, I know I can't wait to see the final product!
~J.C.
Future Groomer ^-^