Ugh im so bummed about this episode

Discussion of specific It's Me or the Dog episodes.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sj96skittles

Ugh im so bummed about this episode

Post by sj96skittles »

Saw the new episode of Sasha and the wood. I'm so disappointed that they didn't include Victoria leash training her (cuz she pulled) & teaching her to leave the trees alone!! I was soo looking forward to her doing that!! Can't believe it wasn't on there!! But I loved her tango. Is it possible if Victoria can post a video of her training Sasha to leave the trees alone?
jacksdad

Re: Ugh im so bummed about this episode

Post by jacksdad »

ya, it was a bit disappointing that so little "air" time was giving to the dog's issues. I realize that actually showing the entire process is very "non interesting/boring" for a lot of people. hard to relate to. However, I would be nice if they could show briefly more of each issue, a trial or two and then cut to showing a success accompanied by a brief explanation of what was going on.

One possible reason they didn't show the resolving the pulling on leash that just occurred to me is, it's been done a thousand times and then some. however, it still would have been nice if there had been a minute or two given to it as there is always the first time viewer to consider.

The scent work was very cool though. I am glad they gave it a lot of time and hopefully future episodes can slip in more stuff like that. when people think of activities for their dog fetch, basic walk, teach sit, down etc. seem to be obvious, but if you suggest branching out I think people start drawing a blank if they aren't "dog geeks".
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

I wish the tango thing was a deleted scene. I love seeing Victoria train dogs. + The tree eating thing has never been an any other episodes :( but I did notice that on their way to that club when they met the neighbors Sasha walked past the trees with a kong toy in her mouth. I guess the toy made her stop eating the trees. I also wish that the videos on the IMOTD website were deleted scenes.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Oh, I forgot about that. the toy in Sasha's mouth. I bet you that was her solution. give her the job of carrying the toy. Victoria made several comments about Sasha needing a job, that she was lacking in mental stimulation.

I do agree about wanting to see/hear more about biting the tree/door and such.

Since some of these geekier parts do not make for "good" broad audience tv, I wonder if the production company and Victoria could be talked into small videos off the main show web sit for those that want to know more.
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

I don't think it's geeky at all! I think it's really cool how she trains! Wats the whole point of the show if she's gonna put tango in the show?? I know it was to get them to work 2gether but I don't really think it was needed in the episode. But I thought it was somewhat entertaining. Little akward though :/
afk

Post by afk »

She also had the owners throw treats onto the balcony/porch PAST the wooden door that Sasha always chewed on. Basically Sasha learned that ignoring the wood and walking past it meant treats for her. I too noticed the Kong toy in her mouth but i wouldn't mind seeing all the training! :lol: It would make the show even more interesting to me but alas, it is a TV Show and not a "how to train dogs step by step" kind of video.
"If you talk to animals, they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them, you will not know them, and what you do not know you will fear. What one fears, one destroys."
brigsby

Post by brigsby »

I really like when Victoria urges owners to involve their dogs in stimulating work and fun, like she did with Sasha and the search and rescue work (with Sasha's great sense of smell). A few weeks ago she also mentioned that dogs bred to chase and work need to stay busy with that sort of thing too. It might have been on the Wheaton terrier episode. We have a Wheaton, and I can't find exactly what they are bred for, other than it's some sort of hunting. And it's obvious with our Elsie, who just can't control herself when she sees bunnies, squirrels, turtles and cats. (we are working on positive training to control her urges). But does Victoria or anyone have an ideas on what she should be doing to expend her energies for this sort of hunting? We take her to dog parks as often as weather (temp or rain) allow. Walks are good but she needs to run more. We don't have a fence yard yet but she does have a long tether that allows her most of our large yard. Thing is, tho that she doesn't play with toys, unless another dog has it. She's never learned or cared about fetch (which would be great if she did!). For now, we're looking for inexpensive or free ways to get her more worn out with stimulating activities, but later would look into service type activities as well, or just plain old fun ones that keep her interested.
Thanks for any input!
SmallBarkBigBite

Post by SmallBarkBigBite »

I liked the episode, not my favorite, but it did give me the idea to begin scent work with my Malinois. He is simply too smart, and a mind is a beautiful thing to waste. Thank you Victoria, I am going to explore scenting with him and see where it takes us.