The Wiemerana Episode

Discussion of specific It's Me or the Dog episodes.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Appy

The Wiemerana Episode

Post by Appy »

Hi everyone

I was really interested in the episode shown recently in the UK (yay we have the US versions showing!) with the lady who ran the Wiemerana rescue centre. I recall that one of the dogs would bark and go for other dogs as they walked past the fence and Victoria would whistle her and treat her when she came away. Am I right in assuming that this build a positive association with people/dogs walking by since she gets a treat each time and also she was getting distracted away from the source of stress.

I have a rather timid dog who tends to bark first ask questions later. She will bark and run to me every time she hears something or someone walks by - rather than attempting to ask her to do something else, attempt to desensitise or distract her which hasn't worked that well, would the approach above be an idea?

I am so glad we have these episodes at last :D
dontpugme

Re: The Wiemerana Episode

Post by dontpugme »

Hi! If you haven't already, you might want to post in the Dog Training Advice section of the forum. You will get more help there! :D
--dontpugme
Shepherd103

Re: The Wiemerana Episode

Post by Shepherd103 »

That was a great episode, I liked the smart Wiemerana, that opened the drawers!!! :lol:
Persevere, hang on till the end. Don't quit, keep going!
Shepherd103