Study regarding aversive training techniques

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

josie1918

Study regarding aversive training techniques

Post by josie1918 »

Growling at Your Dog Won't WorkBy LiveScience Staff

posted: 17 February 2009 01:19 pm ET
.A new study found growling at an aggressive dog failed 41 percent of the time in curbing aggressive canine behavior. Go figure. Image credit: DreamstimeFull Size 1 of 1.A new study found growling at an aggressive dog failed 41 percent of the time in curbing aggressive canine behavior. Go figure. Image credit: Dreamstime
While it may sound obvious, growling at your dog is not likely to improve its aggressive behavioral problems, a new study suggests. Hitting it is probably worse.

Researchers say dog owners who kick, hit or otherwise confront aggressive dogs with punitive training methods are doomed to have, well, aggressive pets.

"Nationwide, the No. 1 reason why dog owners take their pet to a veterinary behaviorist is to manage aggressive behavior," said University of Pennsylvania researcher Meghan E. Herron, lead author of the study. "Our study demonstrated that many confrontational training methods, whether staring down dogs, striking them or intimidating them with physical manipulation does little to correct improper behavior and can elicit aggressive responses."

Herron and colleagues, from the university's School of Veterinary Medicine, surveyed dog owners who made behavioral service appointments at Penn Vet.

The following techniques elicited an aggressive response from the percentage of dogs indicated:

•hit or kick dog: 43 percent,
•growl at dog: 41 percent,
•physically force the release of an item from a dog's mouth: 39 percent,
•alpha roll — physically rolling the dog onto its back and holding it: 31 percent,
•stare at or stare down: 30 percent,
•dominance down — physically forcing the dog down onto its side: 29 percent
•grab dog by jowls and shake: 26 percent.
The study, published in the current issue of Applied Animal Behavior Science, also showed that using non-aversive or neutral training methods such as additional exercise or rewards elicited very few aggressive responses. In addition, dogs brought to the hospital for aggressive behavior towards familiar people were more likely to respond aggressively to some confrontational techniques than dogs brought in for other behavioral reasons.

"This study highlights the risk of dominance-based training, which has been made popular by TV, books and punishment-based training advocates," Herron said. "These techniques are fear-eliciting and may lead to owner-directed aggression."
Fundog

Re: Study regarding aversive training techniques

Post by Fundog »

Awesome! This should be moved over to the "Articles" section. 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

You know I'm surprised that the percentage of "Alpha Rolls" and "dominance down" wasn't higher, even from this sample of people who took the survey! :shock: Thanks for posting this Josie1918!
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

*grab dog by jowls and shake* :shock: what?! I had never heard of this one before..
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

forkin14 wrote:*grab dog by jowls and shake* :shock: what?! I had never heard of this one before..

maybe check the casualty wards............
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

forkin14 wrote:*grab dog by jowls and shake* :shock: what?! I had never heard of this one before..
I saw this one time at the dog park. lady was trying to get her small dog (Boston terrier) to sit at the gate while there were 2 or 3 dogs waiting to greet on the other side. she yelled, pushed on the dogs but with her hand, then foot, then garbed the jowls and shook while verbally adding in some form of sit with lots of extra words.

seeing this inspired me to see if I could get Jack to sit at the gate too before going in for a quick drink of water. yep, it's possible to get even a reactive dog to sit with other dogs eager to sniff/greet on the other side of the fence without grabbing jowls. :lol: