What do you guys think?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sarah83

What do you guys think?

Post by Sarah83 »

Owner says the dog is playing or just "talking" but I'm not so sure, it doesn't look like the dogs relaxed and playful to me. Rupe is an extremely "talkative" dog but his body language while growling at me is a far cry from this dogs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rChLGSEjGXg
Wes

Re: What do you guys think?

Post by Wes »

I agree, definitely means business. She seemed very defensive in the second bit, even scared (whale eye, stiffened body language, lip licking). That owner will get bitten if he doesn't listen to that poor dog.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Always watch this kind of thing with the sound off before you watch it with the sound on.

That dog is seriously upset. The adult human is doing exactly the wrong things by putting arms round the dog and hemming it in.

I'd lay money on that dog leaving the family soon, and it'd be pure luck if the baby wasn't bitten.

People make me so MAD :evil:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I don't understand how people can be so blind to what their dogs are saying. As I say, the owner seems to think the dog is playing or something but the dog just looked horribly uncomfortable with the whole situation to me.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

There are a lot of comments on this video. I wonder if anyone told this person how dangerous this is and that the dog surely doesn't think it's a joke.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

They did, a lot also defended the person saying that rotties are known for growling and that it means nothing.
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

A lot of the comments were dumb. "you should never let your dog growl at a family member because it increases their status in the pact" ... yep either they are confused about the words pack and pact or they somehow hit "t" instead of "k" .. I'm gonna go with the first :roll:

even if the dog wasn't growling, people should be able to LOOK and see how uncomfortable the dog is.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Definitely a warning to back off! :shock:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Ive seen some stupid things in my time but that one is wayyyyy at the top of the list.

Maybe they did teach her to 'guard' the baby, but even so, she MEANS business there and if they think that is a game they are in for a big shock the day someone ELSE tries to play that with her.

I dont think the baby is particularly in danger - though it may be if she would try to snatch it back. The owner may state on the vid or in the comments that it is a game but watching HIS body language, he clearly knows he is at risk, due to the occasions where he hesitates, the way he strokes her head soooooooooo tentatively, when he backs off as her growls get louder and she starts to freeze/stare...

Stupid stupid stupid and it is as ever, the dog who will pay the price!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
troop

Post by troop »

arghhh :x :evil: poor dog looks very uncomfortable i mean seems to be looking after the baby to be fair but if that person thinks this is play it looks like complete madness to me. im sure the dog could end up biting someone trying to touch the baby or even bite the baby if some idiot was to lift it above the dog. this is the sort of thing that wont help rotties :( name. of course it could be used in serious training to stop somebody stealing the baby god forbid... nobody would mess with this dog. but bad bit of video in my opinion
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I wouldn't train a dog to guard a human like that in all honesty. I absolutely dread having a seizure while out with Rupert on my own simply because I'm not sure he'd allow a stranger near me. Okay, that would stop me being robbed mid seizure (it's happened) but it would also stop anyone helping me if I needed it and could cause serious problems for him if he hurt someone while protecting me. When I've had a seizure at home he's not been happy about Calvin coming near me although he has no problem with it at any other time. He moves when told and doesn't get nasty with him but it's obvious to us both that he'd rather Calvin stayed away. I have serious doubts he'd move that easily for strangers in a stressful situation despite his usually friendly nature with people.
Jenna316

Post by Jenna316 »

Wow, that made the hair prickle at the back of my neck. That poor child, and that poor dog. I'll bet he ends up paying the price for having such a stupid owner. :(
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

Wow. Talk about not being on the same page. I learned about that look with
the stiffness and growling when the neighbor's Airdale bit me. But I have an
excuse -- I was 5 years old. This owner may get the same wake up call, and
I'll have little sympathy for him/her. That poor dog is shouting it's message
as loudly as it can. And it's the dog who will catch the blame when it happens.
So sad. Looks like a nice dog.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

She does seem to be an incredibly nice, patient, tolerant dog doesn't she!

I imagine one day when someone else tries to touch the baby she will bite them though, her tolerance would seem onl to be for him because she knows him.

Just to redress the 'clever/dumb' balance..... heres a youtube clip I like... http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=zuyJksKl3 ... re=related

I think Dante should get a part in a film, he 'dies' soooooo dramatically! Hes a real ham!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

emmabeth wrote:She does seem to be an incredibly nice, patient, tolerant dog doesn't she!

I imagine one day when someone else tries to touch the baby she will bite them though, her tolerance would seem onl to be for him because she knows him.

Just to redress the 'clever/dumb' balance..... heres a youtube clip I like... http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=zuyJksKl3 ... re=related

I think Dante should get a part in a film, he 'dies' soooooo dramatically! Hes a real ham!
:lol: That was the best "death" everrrr! Honestly I'm wondering how he taught Dante to do that or if Dante started doing that naturally :lol: Oh how I love dogs and the silly things they can do :D