Developmental Comparison

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Leigha

Developmental Comparison

Post by Leigha »

I've been thinking this week about how much more developmentally advanced the puppers seem to be compared to Bruiser at their age. The puppies seem to be where bruiser was at 8 weeks. Not just size (obviously these puppies would be larger than Bruiser because of breed) but with everything--their movement, the way they act with each other and with us. We brought Bruiser home at what we were told was 6 weeks. He didn't really move--he laid there or wobbled and fell over. Which was what our puppies did at 4 weeks. These puppies seem much more alert and aware of what's going on around them than Bruiser did at 6 weeks and are MUCH more mobile than he was. Is it plausible that the rescue we got him from might have "fudged" Bruiser's age? And if so, would that account for some of his "issues"?
Fundog

Re: Developmental Comparison

Post by Fundog »

I think it is morel likely Bruiser did not have the same quality of care and nurturing that your pups are getting.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

And the super puppy stimulation are a push in the right direction too. These pups are going to be such wonderful dogs b/c you started them on the righ tfoot, i mean paw :wink: in their lives. :D Bless you!
As they are hunting dogs they will need tons of exercise & room to run. I know you will do your best to find them a home that will satisfy their needs.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Oh btw where are the 6 wk pics? I need a puppy fix as I'm sure the rest of the gang does too :D
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

It is entirely possible - the level/differences in care, environment, nutrition can play a part, but if the differences really ARE that marked I would suspect very strongly that Bru was younger than you were told. Whether the rescue knew this is another question entirely!

And yes that could well be a reason why he has the difficulties he has - was he with a litter or o his own, or had his litter mates already gone?

I got Dilly dog at 6 weeks old, he was raised entirely outside in a kennel/run and whilst I dont think his breeder did a horrific job at all, he didnt have the environment or the learning opportunities your pups have had, far more like what he would have gotten in a rescue kennels... mum, littermates, run, some ferrets to sniff at, view of garden through kennel run, interaction with one male adult human.

The da;y I got him he was very mobile, the odd wobble but pretty co-ordinated on the whole, jumping, (not always successfully!), barking/yipping, aware of his surroundings, curious and interacting with the other dog (biting his tail!)..

So if Dilly in his limited environment and cheap puppy food diet was active and mobile at 6 weeks... Bruiser ought to have been as well.. youd hae to really go some to stop a pup naturally finding his balance and curiousity and mobility (raised in a tiny crate maybe?).

I visited Kelda at 4 weeks and she was as you describe Bruiser/your pups at four weeks - idly curious, wobbly, fall down, lie there, wait for stuff to come to her. Her litter would toddle about but interspersed with a lot of falling down and a lot of 'stand and wait for the Sat Nav to re-connect' style behaviour (usually after being picked upa dn turned around or put down somewhere else..). Very markedly different from how they were at six weeks old (hurtling splatting attempting to climb and jump and investigating things).
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

This is H--female has a home

This is my Chunk--male. He's very much a gentle giant, biggest of the group the the biggest pushover too.

Bolt--male. He's the screamer of the group. Loudest cry and howl.

"E"--male. He's a playful boy. Likes to run and jump and spin.

Number 1--female has a home. She's a bossy little girl.

Up--male. He's the sweetest boy. He's a little slower than the others, or maybe he just seems that way because he's super sweet. He can do everything the others can, he's just different somehow.

"U"--male. He's a bit of a trouble starter.

Today we played outside in the yard with Lu and Bruiser. They had a lot of fun, Lu and Bru both did really well with them. The puppies figured out how to do the back stairs on their own. I was sitting on the back porch and they climbed themselves up there when I wasn't looking. It's not something I'm encouraging them to do because I don't want them to fall or hurt themselves, but it's something they can do. They're doing really well.

And just for comparison's sake, since I brought it up in another post--here's Bruiser at their age (sometime during the week we brought him home):
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Oh poop. I just realized I posted them in the wrong spot! Emm feel free to move them to their proper location if you want! Sorry for not paying closer attention to where I was putting things.
meggit

Post by meggit »

oh bless they have grown so much and are super cute i want one but i think its just a little far for me to collect (im in the uk) im sure they will all find perfect forever homes xxx
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

O wow, they have grown so much :D Aww, wishing I could just hold one for a little while, they're super cute
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

I love seeing updated pics of the little guys :lol: Looks like they are getting lots of love and care from you! Congrats on a great job!
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

AAAHHHHHHHH! Puppy fix satisfied! :wink: :D

Thanks for posting. They all look very bright, healthy & oh so squishy!.
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

Oh, they're just soooo huggable! Thank you for sharing them with us. I'm so glad
that little girl in the first picture already has a home, or I'd be thinking things I
shouldn't right about now -- you know, those little voices whispering that I NEEEEEED
a new puppy! (Which my dogs would be quick tell me is not the case right now).
I wish my computer was equipped with some feature that could let me get a puppy
breath fix as well :)
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Sorry emm, just saw this. I guess we were posting at the same time and I didn't see your post after I posted mine.
emmabeth wrote:was he with a litter or o his own, or had his litter mates already gone?
He was with his littermates, but I don't think there was a mom (for long at least). When we got him there were three of them left (Bru being one of them). So far we've met three of his littermates. I think it's possible there were different dogs as fathers for the pups though. Some of them look like very different beagle mixes.
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

OMG, they are sooooooo cute :D I'd love to have the little slow, sweet male.......How cute they all are.
I wished I was the person my dogs thinks I am.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

He's free :) (both monetarily speaking and availability speaking)