FLEAS!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

RoseTyler

FLEAS!

Post by RoseTyler »

Ok...I have a serious flea issue. I have vacuumed, sprayed, vacuumed and sprayed again..and again...I still have them and they are all over my white Persian..=(. I am trying to move out of this place..but in the meantime I want "Schmoo" to be comfortable. I bought a new Bissel, it doesn't use vacuum bags, so I can take the canister out and dump it now..I am wondering if THAT was what I was missing! Any suggestion on getting rid of these monsters!?
Dogs are perfect at being dogs, people are perfect at screwing them up
bikersblu

Re: FLEAS!

Post by bikersblu »

Ive had this problem after taking my springer spaniel up a field and coming home covered in them! (sadly he has passed now...not due to fleas thank goodness lol)

We had an outbreak two years ago with my cat. Its very hard work but if your persistant you will beat the little blighters!

Heres what we did, but if anyone else has any ideas hopefully you wil be able to work something out :)

Firstly I stripped anything the fleas could burrow into and put them into the kitchen, then I was able to take the cat to my Mothers where I sprayed her and left her for an hour or so...but whilst she was there, I sprayed my whole house room to room with a good flea spray from the vet (may be cheaper form a pet shop) then making sure your windows and doors are sealed, go somewhere for a cuppa and wait a couple of hours.

After that hoover well and ventilate the place. Go and pick up your little sweetheart, comb her through with a good flea comb (have some hot water nearby as this kills them so you dont have to squash them between your fingernails...nasty!) If she doesnt mind water you could giver her a nice bath and while her fur is wet you'll be able to see any stray fleas...just remember to wash her about a week or so after the spray as it will wash the spray off. (A lot of people use the drops n the neck, but I feel it only really gets that spot and the fleas congragate to the tail area! :lol: )

if you can do this once a week or so, you will soon get on top of it :) But the vaccum will help as I found with bags the fleas would cling onto the fibres in the bag lol

Hope this helps as it worked for me...hard work but worth it...good luck!
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

I do NOT recommend flea collars for dogs or cats, but you cannot beat them for putting them in the vacuum cleaner bag or plastic tank. Kills any of the little buggers that may linger, or hatch.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

The toxins that we have to put on our dogs to kill fleas can kill our dogs, if you put a flea collar on your dog he is being flooded with these toxins, they nearly killed one of my dogs and if adopting a Greyhound you are told never to put on on him because it will kill.

I use a zapper on my dogs, I go all over the country and my dogs go to lots of places where there are fleas and ticks but I won't put any toxins on my dogs coats. Instead I use http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT any type of comb that will kill head lice, fleas and ticks will do, they work by battery and kill them by an electric shock which doesn't touch our dogs. It only takes a minute or 2 to comb through my dogs coats when I come back in again.

When using toxins to get rid of fleas, the flea has to bite the dog to get the toxin, with the zapper, it will kill the fleas before they bite the dog, far better for the dog.

For the house you need to first put your dog where he can't get into the room, sprinkly flea powder on all the carpets, curtains, furniture if fabric etc and follow the instructions. To prevent a flea infestation again, I use flea collars under the dog's bedding and inside my hoover. Since I got rid of the fleas this is all I do and never had a problem since.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
bikersblu

Post by bikersblu »

I myself have never used a flea collar as it does just the same as the drops for the back of the neck zip but kill the fleas there

Ive heard of the zapper too but kept losing it :lol: so I stick to old fashioned time and hunting most of the time.

(In case anyone mis-read my post, when I said about the drops on the neck, I did NOT mean a flea collar :) just in case my words were missunderstood...I read back and saw josie1918 and mattie mentioning a flea collar and didnt know if maybe I had typed my advice wrong :oops: sorry if this is the case)
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Here is something you all can try if you like. Growing up on the farm our German shepherds NEVER had fleas, we let them sleep on blankents that we had rubbed down our sweating horses with. NOT AN OLD WIVES TALE. There is currently a major flea control manufacturer trying to figure out what it is in horse sweat that repels fleas. Just thought I would throw this in for those who don't like the chemical approach.