Very spoiled dog

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

AddyPup

Very spoiled dog

Post by AddyPup »

I love all the shows and there is something to be learned from each. Although I feed my dog from the table and she sleeps in my bed, it doesn't seem to be causing any problems. Without any training, she does what she is suppose to do. Good breeding I guess.
spydre

Post by spydre »

We've had similar thoughts with our dogs....with Loth, our dog that died in early April, yes, we do have to admit that she begged - but at mealtimes she had to be the most polite beggar I've ever seen - even to the point of falling asleep while begging, lol. She slept in our bed almost every night the majority of her life, except after we moved in this house, since the bedroom is on the 2nd floor, and therefore warmer, she usually slept UNDER the bed during the warmer months, but when she was in the bed she had bed manners! If she got between us at all (only when she was called) she kept her paws to herself, and curled up into a ball (I swear, she thought she was a cat). Usually she just slept between my feet. This spring she didn't come back up on the bed because of her back - that was one of the hardest things for me to cope with as the time came to put her sleep, I couldn't handle that our baby wasn't sleeping with us anymore.

With Dodger, because he was such a horrid beggar when we got him, we don't give him anything off plates, unless it's into his bowl. For the most part now, he does really well about just sitting or lying on the floor when we are eating, rather than trying to get up on the couch with us. With the bed, well, I wanted, I really wanted to be able to sleep with him, but he is soooo much bigger than Loth was - and his version of sleeping in the bed is getting between us and lying lengthwise pressed right up to our side. So he got his own bed that he took to the first night amazingly - I say amazingly, because at the shelter we got him at, the previous adoptive owner returned him because they couldn't keep him out of beds. We now have a bed on each side of the bed for him, and in the mornings if I don't have to get up when my husband does, he comes up and cuddles after my husband leaves. Except now, lol, he takes the alarm sounding as a sign to come cuddle, and my husband may be ready to leave bed yet! And on weekends, he senses what time it is, and when it would normally be leaving time for my husband during the week, Dodger hops up on the bed, expecting to cuddle. Sometimes it works, sometimes he lays on my husband's legs, so I take him downstairs for some cuddles instead (hubby doesn't like waking to 80 pounds dropping on his legs for some unusual reason). As you can guess, the "off" command (for getting off the bed, furniture) is the one that we still consistently have to use the lure/treat for.
Dodger - 2 1/2 yo American Bulldog Mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Dodger/DCP_0106.jpg[/img]
RIP Loth 10 year old Husky/Keeshond/Shar pei mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Loth/DCP_0039.jpg[/img]
AddyPup

I didn't know you could insert pictures.

Post by AddyPup »

Addy begs a little because she knows that I am going to save something for her. It's usually when I'm close to finished unless I'm having pizza. She loves pizza.

As far as sleeping on the bed, she is usually asleep before I am and rarely moves during the night.

So, here is a picture of the little angel:

Mattie

Re: Very spoiled dog

Post by Mattie »

AddyPup wrote:I love all the shows and there is something to be learned from each. Although I feed my dog from the table and she sleeps in my bed, it doesn't seem to be causing any problems. Without any training, she does what she is suppose to do. Good breeding I guess.

I doubt it has anything to do with breeding, you will have boundaries for your dog which many people don't. 5 of my dogs sleep on my bed but will get off when I ask, I don't feed my dogs from the table, there are too many of them for that.

Dogs that don't have any boundaries are like children without them, they keep pushing and pushing to find them. By stopping dogs from sleeping on the bed and feeding them from the table is the start of boundaries for them.

Children are much happier when they have boundaries and so are dog, well mannered children and dogs have boundaries. These boundaries are so ingrained that nobody notices them unless they are stepped over but dogs and children who have grown up with these boundaries don't step over them because it is normal for them not to. Hope that makes sense :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Gershep1

Post by Gershep1 »

AddyPup wrote:I love all the shows and there is something to be learned from each. Although I feed my dog from the table and she sleeps in my bed, it doesn't seem to be causing any problems. Without any training, she does what she is suppose to do. Good breeding I guess.
Sorry, I don't know how feeding a dog from the table is doing what she is supposed to do. We don't eat out of our dog's plate (bowl); why is it necessary that they eat from ours? How would guests feel about a dog hanging around the table expecting to be fed? Isn't it better to have a breakfast, lunch or dinner party with dog(s) politely keeping their distance rather than hovering or begging?

Years ago, someone tried to sneak a bit of meat to one of my dogs at Christmas dinner and I almost slapped their hand :lol:
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Gershep1 wrote: Sorry, I don't know how feeding a dog from the table is doing what she is supposed to do. We don't eat out of our dog's plate (bowl); why is it necessary that they eat from ours? How would guests feel about a dog hanging around the table expecting to be fed? Isn't it better to have a breakfast, lunch or dinner party with dog(s) politely keeping their distance rather than hovering or begging?

Years ago, someone tried to sneak a bit of meat to one of my dogs at Christmas dinner and I almost slapped their hand :lol:

That is your preference, it isn't everyone's, if I want to feed my dogs from the table I will and don't expect someone I don't know tell me I am wrong and not to do it.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Smillin'Sammy

Post by Smillin'Sammy »

Whether you want to dogs to beg/eat from a table is the owner's preference, but you have to be consistent and either always allow or never allow. Dogs can't tell when you are having a fancy dinner party and when not.
AddyPup

Feeding from the table

Post by AddyPup »

I would agree that feeding from the table isn't a good idea although I do it and will continue to do it. When we are finished with dinner, Addy will get something. She doesn't beg much because she knows that her treat comes at the end of dinner. The exception is pizza. She gets a little crust with some cheese and tomato sauce. Must be her favorite because she will sometimes whine a little. But, I think it is cute.

She would probably be one of the easiest dogs to train because she would do anything to get a piece of chicken. There just hasn't been any problems. She seems to know the things I don't want her to do without making a big deal out of it. I don't know much about other breeds but golden retrievers want to please there owners so all you have to do is let them know what not to do.

I see Addy as a human in a dog outfit. My ex-wife was a dog in a human outfit.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I usually put table scraps in my dog's food bowl. He also doesn't beg but he likes to lie down close by when we eat because we will save a bite for him at the end. When we're close to finishing, he shoots up in sit position because he knows his treat is coming. Ha. I would prefer that he stay close when we eat anyway, instead of being alone in another room getting into trouble.

Addy is BEAUTIFUL, btw.
kelleyanne1988

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

Addy is a gorgeous dog! I really wish I had the money for a second dog right now (or more along the lines, of knowing better how to budget money and actually doing it so I would have the money for a second dog - haha). I'm pretty sure I would be getting a golden if possible. We used to have one named Sarge when I was little. But I'm pretty sure my mom would shoot me if I told her I was buying another dog right now. I better get past Gunner's puppy stage first.

Oh! And to go along with you're pizza thing. My mom has a pembroke welsh corgi at her place who absolutely LOVES ice cream. She knows what the ice cream container looks like and sits at my mom's feet while she eats her ice cream. Once she's done, mom let's her lick the bowl. My dad's lab figured out why she was always sitting at my mom's feet one day and they started rolling the bowl around (each of them trying to get the ice cream without the other getting to it), finally my dad's lab just picked the bowl up and hid in another room so he could enjoy his first taste of ice cream. haha
Have an Amazing Day,
Kelley Anne, Gunner, and Bear
AddyPup

Funny dogs

Post by AddyPup »

Funny about the ice cream. I’m sure Addy would love it too. She will eat anything that even vaguely resembles food. I gave her broccoli when I first got her but that upset her stomach so now she gets carrots for a treat. She also get a lot of fruit but I do know that grapes and raisins are very bad for them. There is a tree in my back yard that has some kind of nuts right now. The squirrels eat the nuts and drop the shells. Addy eats the shells. I try to keep her away from that area because I can’t imagine that they would be good for her but probably won’t hurt. At least I hope not.
kelleyanne1988

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

i havent found anything that upsets this boys stomache yet... So far gunner will eat anything and everything you drop on the floor. haha (good dog for clean up!)
Have an Amazing Day,
Kelley Anne, Gunner, and Bear
Gershep1

Post by Gershep1 »

Mattie wrote:
Gershep1 wrote: Sorry, I don't know how feeding a dog from the table is doing what she is supposed to do. We don't eat out of our dog's plate (bowl); why is it necessary that they eat from ours? How would guests feel about a dog hanging around the table expecting to be fed? Isn't it better to have a breakfast, lunch or dinner party with dog(s) politely keeping their distance rather than hovering or begging?

That is your preference, it isn't everyone's, if I want to feed my dogs from the table I will and don't expect someone I don't know tell me I am wrong and not to do it.
Mattie, it's strange that in your orginal post you talk about setting boundaries yet when I give an opinion you jump on it. That's been your habit from the first time I posted on this board. Enough already. We are all people who don't know each other expressing opinions, not telling people what to do or what not to do.

Addypup, if I offended you, I'm sorry. Some dogs keep a polite distance when fed from the table. Good manners or not, mine would intimidate some guests if I allowed them to get close. And they'd probably learn to drool too :roll: Or they'd get close and comfy and get a chair rammed into them during a dinner party, so I'd rather they keep away. But as for food from the table into their bowl, yeah, I do that too. Especially ice cream :D
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Gershep1 wrote:
Mattie wrote:

Mattie, it's strange that in your orginal post you talk about setting boundaries yet when I give an opinion you jump on it. That's been your habit from the first time I posted on this board. Enough already. We are all people who don't know each other expressing opinions, not telling people what to do or what not to do.
It didn't look like an opinion but more like you were telling her that feeding from the table was wrong and she shouldn't be doing it. Boundaries do have to be in place but what the boundaries are depends on what the owners want their dogs to do. My dogs are fed before me and sleep on my bed but they do have boundaries and I would object if I was told I was wrong to do this.

As for being a habit to jump on you, I am far too busy for that, maybe if you said it was your opinion and not that they were wrong to do something I wouln't need to correct you.

How we write makes a big difference to our posts, what we write can often come across very differently to what was intended. I have had many posts misunderstood in the past and probably will again.
pmcrae71

Post by pmcrae71 »

I have never fed my dogs 'people' food because I thought it was bad for them. The way it's processed and the additives and such in it.

What kind of stuff is good for them to eat?