Has your dog ever been attacked?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Noobs

Has your dog ever been attacked?

Post by Noobs »

I am curious to know what you folks here have done if your dog has been attacked by another dog. Not how to break it up, but what have you done for your dog afterwards if s/he became jumpy or skittish around the area where the attack happened.

A dear friend's dog got attacked by their downstairs neighbor's dog in the hallway just inside the front door. My friend's dog was pinned by the neighbor's dog against the wall (the area inside the shared front door is small) and she was on her back and yelping. The neighbor did nothing but scream at the dog to get off and my friend had to kick the dog in the ribcage but he said it was like she didn't even notice. Finally the neighbor grabbed her collar and pulled her off. His wife says they know she's dog aggressive and they don't know what to do. (How about not leaving your door open for starters...)

So now my friend's dog is skittish and my friend is livid that the neighbor's allowed their dog access to a shared area when there are other dogs in the house.

My question is how would you help the dog to recover from the incident? My friend wasn't asking me for advice but I would like to know for my own information...and in case he does talk about it and opens it up for suggestions.
pmcrae71

Post by pmcrae71 »

I a so sorry to hear about this. Is your friends dog OK? Physically? That is a very hard thing to deal with. I lost my dog to an attack 3 yrs ago in November, his wounds were too sever. That was the hardest thing for me.

Your friend could use the treat method to show her that good things can come from being around other dogs and maybe taking her to somewhere she knows with dogs she knows maybe would help to get her comfert level back up and and her confidence. And having the neightbor watch it's me or the dog so they can learn how to teach their dog the leave it command and some impulse control. I have taught my Ozzy some really good things from watching her shows. I had much rather use her technics than that dog whisperer guy.

I wish your firend all the best with this problem and hope that their dog is ok.
Cracker

Post by Cracker »

It wasn't Cracker that got attacked but one of my puppy walking/training puppies. She was 5 months old and was attacked by a dog resource guarding a ball in the park. She had torn gums, a puncture in her backside and on all four paws from when she rolled over and tucked. It was pretty traumatic.

What we did was not go to the park for about five days (to let her start to heal physically as well as to feel safe in the world). We then started walking BY the park, assessing her mood and treating for calm behaviour. Gradually she started showing interest in going back in so we went in, assessed the dogs nearby and went from there. Aside from one reaction when another scuffle happened on the other side of the park, she was fine.

Part of that I'm sure was that we had so carefully socialized her, making lots of positive events BEFORE the bad one, and the fact that she is a pretty calm puppy golden ret. to start with helped a lot.

Does your friend's dog react badly to being in the area where the attack occurred? It's hard when it's in your own building, for sure. She should make sure to take some really really high value rewards, encourage the dog through the area (if that's the only way to get out) using the rewards, letting her take her time as much as is necessary and then move on.

If this dog starts to have increased reactivity to other dogs or fears of other things it would be good to have a behaviourist in to assist.

There is really good info at www.fearfuldogs.com if she is interested.

I do hope that the dog wasn't too badly injured, physically or mentally.

Good luck.
Maggi Burtt
Tailspin Petworx

[img]http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/tailspinpetworx/Picture010-1.jpg[/img]
ckranz

Re: Has your dog ever been attacked?

Post by ckranz »

Noobs wrote:I am curious to know what you folks here have done if your dog has been attacked by another dog. Not how to break it up, but what have you done for your dog afterwards if s/he became jumpy or skittish around the area where the attack happened.

A dear friend's dog got attacked by their downstairs neighbor's dog in the hallway just inside the front door. My friend's dog was pinned by the neighbor's dog against the wall (the area inside the shared front door is small) and she was on her back and yelping. The neighbor did nothing but scream at the dog to get off and my friend had to kick the dog in the ribcage but he said it was like she didn't even notice. Finally the neighbor grabbed her collar and pulled her off. His wife says they know she's dog aggressive and they don't know what to do. (How about not leaving your door open for starters...)

So now my friend's dog is skittish and my friend is livid that the neighbor's allowed their dog access to a shared area when there are other dogs in the house.

My question is how would you help the dog to recover from the incident? My friend wasn't asking me for advice but I would like to know for my own information...and in case he does talk about it and opens it up for suggestions.
Basically a plan of counter conditioning against each part of what may be a fear trigger:

Location: short happy play times in the location of the attack.
Other dogs: Very short exposure at distance moving slowly in until dog is comfortable again

Breed/gender: In some case dogs may harbor a shyness or fear of certain breeds. Set up planned encounters in controlled envionrments to have positive experience with dogs of the same breed and or gender
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Good advice. I also use Bach Rescue Remedy for average cases, and Rock Rose for terror.

Long-term, my dogs know I will protect them, so they run to me for shelter and I do the Big Bad Don'tmesswithme stuff to the other dogs.

It sucks, but dog attacks are a way of life :roll:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Thanks for all your suggestions. My friend says the worst part about the attack is that while his dog was on her back, she was making eye contact with him while she was yelping and he was totally helpless in getting the other dog off her. I'm sure the look in her eyes during that moment will stay with him for a long time.

Thankfully she wasn't badly hurt, just really shaken. I think she may have gotten bitten enough to draw blood but not badly enough to require medical attention. I realize that if this other dog wanted to really hurt her, she could have, so they're very lucky. I'll be sure to stay in close touch with my friend and ask about the dog a lot so I can see what their progress is like.
pmcrae71

Post by pmcrae71 »

Hey Noobs, Haven't heard from you in a while. Just wanted to know how your friends dog is doing and how you are doing....